It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello I have been on norcos for about 4 1-2 years going from 1 a day to anywhere from 5-7 a day. I know that's not much but wd always kept me from stopping. I think in the last 4 yrs I was off them 2 days longest like 20 times. One of the times I couldn't deal and smoked meth with my cousin just for energy. I had never ever done that before. I once had a tooth pulled just to get more. The tooth was a problem that drained my insurance but I could have kept trying to fix it. When I think back to that I feel super ashamed. Have never told anyone that

Ok so I finally had enough playing hide in go seek with pills, and rearranging my life based on how long a high would last. It just was no fun anymore and I hated myself. Kept having nightmares about my problem.
I have lost a ton of weight, by eating right and exercise. I have got my mind straight (well as straight as this crazy persons can get) so I am pretty healthy other than my prob. I think I might be a little more mentally prepared tha let's say last year

I took my last pill on June 30 at 6pm. I did not know much about buprenorphine and just put a butrans 10mcg patch on by 11 that night. I had a horrible headache and tiredness the next day but since have felt fantastic. I can't believe it. So I am coming up on one whole week and the patch should be changed.

Would I be nuts to not change it and just take it off. It's should remain in my system another day or so. Do u all think I will still have opiate wd, would another week on the patch give me buprenorphine withdrawals. Ugh I am feeling so sure about myself this time but thinking its the fact that I have skated through this far, I know I don't want pills anymore but will I mess up if I take it off later today.

Should I have not included that in my intro and possibly posted it some where else. I am just feeling some anxiety and initially tried to join other forums days ago which needed a modifier to accept my request and they never did. Luckily I found this site. Hope u all can help me out.

Post subject: Butrans Patch
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:20 pm 

Hi Strawberry and welcome to our forum. It sounds strange that a moderator would need to approve someone for membership. The site must get a lot of trolls or angry posters.

I will say you are very lucky to be doing research on addiction to opiates while you're still on a relatively low dose of hydrocodone. Sure wish I was proactive like you when I was only taking 5 or 6 a day. Like you, the w/d's scared me although I knew it wouldn't be very bad at all. Over the years of opiate use I had quit dozens of times and it was never really very bad. Mostly all in my mind. All my life I've wanted something to change my brain waves and opiates were the best of the best.

Okay, I got off course there for a bit. My advice would be to leave the 10 mcg patch on for another week or more. Meaning, get all the medication out of it nice a slow. After 2½ weeks, throw it away and you might not feel too much withdrawal discomfort. The patch is in micrograms of Buprenorphine. 10 mcg's is almost like 1 mg of Bupe per day for 7 days. How much after that is unknown. My math may be off a bit but it's close enough.

The biggest problem you will face is yourself. You are already used to medicating yourself daily so what are you going to put in its place? That is where a recovery program will help you. Pick one and see how it goes. N.A. is a good first choice and a lot of good people are there to make friends with. Some use religion, or diving in to a hobby they like. Anything to take your mind off of popping a couple of Norco's in your mouth. Are you ready for recovery?

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u rule 62 for responding I was starting to feel a bit sad not getting anyone's insight. I did decide to leave the patch anothe week figuring the dose was super small according to what I read. I guess I have been pretty lucky to have never escillated in the amount I took. When ever I took more than 7 a day I would feel odd and get kind of angry and wih kids that wasn't ok. So I always just took 1 1/2 3-4 times a day and felt golden. I would kinda start coming down over night. I notices since stopping I no longer use two blankets at night or wake up covered in sweat. Feels so good. But almost too good. I have been super productive and fear it's just the patch and may look for something to help me move the way I have lately. But it's an in going struggle as I keep reminding myself why I am doing this and how much more I can accomplish. I have been jobless for over 4 years and have wanted to work but that drug test they do stopped me. So I guess one of my plans is to get a job. I have plenty to do at home with kids and a sick parent to tend to but since the last is off to school soon it's time. I also plan on going to nA. The thought frightens me but anything that does not scare u is not worth doing right?!! I have bookmarked many pages with meetings in my area. I figure I can continue with my workouts and even push harder. I was noticing that while on hydro I would get pain in my legs while working out and end up with bruises constantly. Guess the blood thinning so now I can really push myself. I know that may not sound like much but I am going to work on it.

I have been interested in quiting for a long time. Always researched it, but I guess actually changing my lifestyle by eating healthy and working out was the push I needed to finally go through with it. I have been suffering depression and anxiety for so long and hydro made me feel some what cured but now I don't feel I need a pill to cure me just need to continue to see everything in a positive light and keep healthy.

Thank u again for responding its tough when u feel ignored and just need someone to talk to and make u feel Bette about what u r doing.

Oh for some reason when I drink chlorophyl in my water (one of the many vitamins and supplements I take now) I would throw up the hydro if taken within an hour of each other. Woukd it be nuts for me to put chloriphllyl in all my daily water. I drink a lot of water. So u know it can be a deferent if I think of taking another.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:39 pm 

Strawberry, Hi! I want to welcome you to the forum!

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to answer your questions. I don't have any experience with butrans patches and I have no idea what chlorophyl is and why it would interact with hydros.

Are you trying to figure out how to get off all opiates without the use of suboxone?

It worries me that you are thinking that you can just think positive to get yourself through depression. You obviously have a lot on your plate and I think it makes sense to get some professional help with your addiction.

Getting healthy is admirable and it certainly shows that you are motivated to improve your life! I'm just thinking that your next step should probably be seeking an addiction doctor or therapist.

I wish you well! Keep us informed about what decisions you make.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:59 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Strawberry and welcome to the forum!..you did not say how you got the patch..are you seeing a sub dr??
I think the main thing you are forgetting here is your addiction..and when the sub wears off..what will you do??
Do you really think life will go on for the good and you will not fall back on your pills?? I sure hope this is the case..
but all of us have a story like yours...and were not so good at staying sober without anything in the beginning.
The sub has saved my life..I too started out at the amount you are on..but over time I was taking up to 15 norcos a day.
This went on for 20 years...I tried everything until I found bup and it saved me. It might be wise for you to find a
bup dr. and start on a low dose and try to stay on it for a short time and see how you do...If you relapse...you might
want to stay on the bup longer. I am no rocket scientist...I am just saying what worked for me. Remember , your
addiction is cunning, baffling, and powerful...as they say in AA. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide...and
please keep posting here..these people really care..no matter what happens...it is good to have people to talk to..who are
just like you.

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ugh think all my posts were deleted. So I will try and remember what I wrote.

Butrans patch is sub more like subtex I suppose since it does not have naloxone. The patch was a 10mcg so I was getting .24 bup in my system per day.

I wore the patch for 10 days then cut most of it off for the last day before removing it on 7-11 after 11 days. I am now on day 6 of no subs
I wish I could remember my time line of what happened after but I know I have had days where I was sweating and smelly. I had headaches on a couple of the days, felt extremely sluggish on most days, I had excessive sneezing and got minor anxiety. I was still working out the whole way through except yesterday when I just felt too tired. I remain positive and have no desire to use.

I don't have insurance or the money for a dr, so I had to do this alone. I am hoping to be successful so others have a story to read about short term sub detox. I know there are not many out there and most usually end with no more progress after a few days. So hoping to check in within a few days with nothing but positives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just want to say congratulations on embarking on your recovery. I myself have just started sub treatment and found the best Dr in the weirdest way. My pastor was a patient of this wonderful Dr and now he is completely off the subs. SO when I told my pastor of my struggle with addiction he gave me this guy's phone number. He really has a heart for helping people with opiate recovery.
I think that finding a Doc who's heart is in the right place is key. Alot of these guys can be nothing more than legal drug dealers. My Dr actually has gotten me down to 1mg of Sub/ day in les than 2 months and I am extremely comfortable and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Plus, this is WAY cheaper than 12-15 hydrocodone/ day for the last 5+ years.

Good luck and God Bless you!!
Let me know if I can help you out Strawberry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:19 pm 

Many posts and threads were lost early this week. Our threads reset to July 10th. Please check my announcement.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy I figured something was up, no biggie.

Keleaux thanks for your kind words, glad u found the right dr and that he was able to take u on, I hear it can be tough to find help when needed. Staying positive no matter what we encounter I find makes a huge difference. Before I was negative and would look for my pills to drown it out. Hope to hear more from u and congrats to you, we can do this if we keep persisting!
Strawberry

“Don't ever give up.
Don't ever give in.
Don't ever stop trying.
Don't ever sell out.
And if you find yourself succumbing to one of the above for a brief moment,
pick yourself up, brush yourself off, whisper a prayer, and start where you left off.
But never, ever, ever give up.”
― Richelle E. Goodrich, Eena: The Two Sisters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like that quote Strawberry!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Romeo!

Just wanted to check in day 12 no subs, after 11 days on them. I finally feel some what normal. I do still feel tired by mid day but I am assuming that is normal. I think we may feel subs make us feel normal, well those who get no side effects but in reality it's still a drug, maybe it does not give us a high but makes us feel above average. At least it did for me. Now I need to work on getting my energy through staying healthy. I have no desire to use, Norcos might cross my mind occasionally but I am not interested in them at this point. After all my hard work this far I don't want to start over. I think I am going to try l tyrosine to see if my energy improves, I work out daily in the morning and push myself to the limit and after cooking and cleaning I feel like I need a nap, and that just won't do. I am sleeping better than before now, and remember my dreams more clearly now. Other than having slight anxiety about leaving the house for long periods of time I feel I am doing pretty well.

So, so far so good and still very positive and super happy about my choice to get clean, I notice some changes in my body like my skin on part of my face which was always dry is fine now, my eye bags have decreased, I even notice my dandruff going away & my sex drive is back (woohoo woohoo!!!) one other positive is after coming off the meds I dropped 3 more lbs, so thrilled to weight less than I did in high school now. I see nothing but good reasons to remain clean and plan on following through.
Strawberry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great Job Strawberry with your taper. I truly believe that the Butran patch is a great way to taper off Subs. Since it is getting into your system super slow and weening your body off the medication. And not just jumping at a high dose where your body is like WTF? Keep up the good work. Are you going to meetings or counseling? Just wondering your future plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oops sorry, I see that you did post that your were going to go to NA. Good choice. I wish you all the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just checking in going on 24 days of no subs and 35 days of no Norcos in about an hour. Have to say without subs don't think I would have made it. I am finally regaining some energy or at least it has seemed that way that last few days. I continue to work out daily and be positive. So positive I am about to try and quit smoking. Feeling nervous about this one but it's the final thing on my list.

I am proud of myself because I injured my foot, guess I ran too much or maybe bent it in a run about 10 days ago, it was pretty painful but I had no desire to use, it still hurts but I have been taping it and just keep on moving. I have a regular sleep pattern right now, bed before midnight up by 7:45 which is great, I sleep just fine. Even have dreams where I refuse drugs and try to talk others off of drugs, thought that was pretty cool cause not even in my dreams am I using. Lol

Life is pretty great, I just feel happier each day especially when I notice something positive that has come out of being clean, even when it's something so simple like leaving the house for an entire day.

Really can't wait to enjoy those daily outing without cigarettes. I will be ok if it turns out to be to much to try and quit cigs and if I have to postpone it. I won't be disappointed just yet if now is not the time.

I have not been to any meeting, thinking if I hit a rough patch I will attend one but really at this point I feel great and don't even want to worry about what the future may bring since I live in the present.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update, Strawberry. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. Keep up the good work!!