It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't mind talking about it at all. For me, in addition to the traumas I survived, I've fought off major depression and severe mood swings my whole adult life (I'm 46 now). I've been on anti-depressants on and off that whole time. Currently I'm on Celexa and two mood stabilizers (Abilify and Lamictal). It's my opinion that meds aren't always necessary when it comes to treating traumas in therapy. For me the meds are more for my long history of depression. Trauma based therapy can be pretty long term depending on what the trauma(s) are and how they have affected you. Mine were pretty severe so I've been seeing my therapist for about 8 years now. But know that that is just ME. I'm not saying you'll need that kind of commitment or anything anywhere near that. What I will say is it's the best damn thing I could have done for myself. I sincerely believe I would have taken my own life or would have been in and out of institutions had I not done this (not to mention all the other behavior that came about from the untreated traumas, including my addiction).

I hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me anytime if you have more questions. I'm open to share more with you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Painguin -

I wanted to suggest something for you to look into if you are considering therapy. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is a therapy that was developed by a psychologist at the University of Washington as a treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder. Since then, it has also been shown to be an effective therapy for chemical dependency, abuse survivors, PTSD, and mood disorders.

We studied DBT in several of my classes at school and it was so interesting to me that I looked into it further on my own. In fact, I changed my course of study from chemical dependency counselor to psychology because I would like to study and work with this therapy further in my education and career.

In a nutshell, DBT uses traditional cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques and combines them with mindfulness meditation practice. It is a very supportive therapy that basically teaches you how not to be at the mercy of your feelings. Of course, there's more to it than that, but that's the goal. As a person who has been overwhelmed by my feelings pretty much forever, gaining tools to be able to experience my emotions without having to react to them has been priceless. I have put some of the DBT techniques into practice in my life (just things I learned from studying the therapy in school) and they really work.

If you are interested or want to know more, let me know. Dealing with trauma is difficult but it is so very worth it. I have sexual-assault trauma and abuse trauma in my past and these kinds of things effect us in ways that are so hard to see or understand, especially without professional guidance. Like Hat, I have spent many years in therapy working things out and one of my proudest accomplishments has been proving wrong the a-hole psychiatrist that told me (at age 19) that I would likely spend my life in and out of institutions. Healing IS possible and I really believe that we ALL deserve to live healthy, happy lives and experience joy and serenity.

Take care of yourself and remember that we're here for you.

-Jack Kornfield