It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am having a colonoscopy done on June 22. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about suboxone and colonoscopy. I am on 16 mg of suboxone, a lot of what I have read so far has been about people being on 4-8mg and have had them done. If anyone has any idea about what they would use, I've had them in the past, but I wasn't on subs. I've heard versed and fentynl a lot. If anyone could give me an idea what I'd be looking at for this it would be great. I will be talking to my sub doc next Friday about it also.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:26 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

forz103 wrote:
I am having a colonoscopy done on June 22. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about suboxone and colonoscopy. I am on 16 mg of suboxone, a lot of what I have read so far has been about people being on 4-8mg and have had them done. If anyone has any idea about what they would use, I've had them in the past, but I wasn't on subs. I've heard versed and fentynl a lot. If anyone could give me an idea what I'd be looking at for this it would be great. I will be talking to my sub doc next Friday about it also.

Hi forz103 and welcome.

My name is Slipper. I had a colonoscopy done not too long ago and I was also on 16mg. subutex. I simply stayed on my subutex. The versed they give you will not interfere with the suboxone. Please tell them not to give you any pain medication during the procedure like fentynal. You will not need it and it would not work anyway because of the suboxone.
There is no pain after this procedure so you will do just fine. Just stay on your 16mg. suboxone. This procedure is too minor to try to come down off your subs...just stay on your regular dose . The versed will relax you and make you feel good...probably go to sleep...it is THE PREP THAT WILL KILL YOU!! lol
Good luck and God bless...
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slipper gave you all the right answers. You'll have no need for pain relief so there's no need to stop the sub at all and it won't interfere with the anesthesia they will give you. And yes, some will want to give you fentanyl, but just tell them you're on suboxone and and not to give it to you. If they give it to you anyway, it won't matter though. I had an upper GI endoscopy on sub and they went ahead and gave me Fentanyl - I have no idea why (they never said why they gave it at the last minute) - and it was just fine. It's usually versed they give, again, like slipper said, or sometimes, depending on the doctor, propofol.

And the most important thing slipper said was how it's the night before's PREP that sucks for a colonoscopy! Either you'll get about a gallon of "stuff" to drink or 4 pills to take and then you shit your life away for the next few hours to properly clean you out for the test. FUN TIMES!!!

Good luck with it. I'm about 3 years away from getting my baseline colonoscopy, so I'm not far behind you. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have nothing to worry about I had a colonoscopy and was on 24/32mgs at the time I had no issues. They just gav me a shit load of verstead and everything went fine I was up and awake watching the movie only if I had some popcorn lol. But like mentioned the only thing that sucks is the night before, I recommend findinding a good book and just stay on the can. Or I just watched a movie on my laptop why I sat on the toilet for three hours. If you have choice ask for the pills the powder sucks BC u have to drink a shit load of gateraide.