It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Cold Turkey vs. Tapper
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Important to note: At the present time I am looking for a Suboxen dr in or near Portland but have been having no luck after calling 12 today. They either are not taking new patients or the ones that do want as much as $800 a month (not including price for meds). I bring this up first so can understand the wrestling going on in my head. :(

This my second time having to quit Suboxone. The last time was a bit over a year ago after I'd been on it for 4 years. My insurance lapsed and I could no longer continue treatment. I did a long term tapper over 45-60 days to the point where I was taking less than 2mg every other day. Despite this, I went through WD for 3 weeks when I was down to 0mg. It was hell.

Even after the pain left my body, I still felt like someone in a depressed state. I loathe myself for feeling like there is a part of my body/brain that requires opiates for me to be a proactive and productive member of society.

A few months of being off subs in 2012 , I relapsed and went back to taking pills. I returned to a Suboxone Dr last week and restarted my treatment. After I emailed him about a side effect I was having (and I also had this same effect when I was on the last time and also one that is regular mentioned online (Urine Retention). He told me it was too dangerous for me to continue talking Suboxone he would no longer prescribe them to me. This not what this post is about though. For details on that, check out this thread become-comical-your-compasionate-advice-welcome-t8939.html

My new Dr told me I had to stop taking them. He told me to taper down 2mg a day until gone. (I was prescribed 16mg a day)

Because I'd only been back on Suboxone for 4 days, I made the choice not to tapper, but to just stop cold turkey...

Today is my 3rd day without taking any Sub or any opiates. I do have 19 films of Subs but I don't want to use them if I don't have to. After the way my last WD in 2012 went for 3 weeks it seemed to me that having even the smallest amount of it (Subs) in your system will still cause for a nasty WD. I know everyone is not the same, of course. I am of the opinion that having only been on SUBS again for a very short time, then Cold Turkey may be easier than tapering down. I am holding on to the strips in case it gets too bad and I cannot find a new Dr.

But in these 3 days the symptoms have been minimal and.... random... Overall I don't feel like I am in a WD. I can still function. The main thing I notice is suddenly popping into Cold Sweats and having headaches. But so far nothing like before.. As least not yet.

Ideally I want to be in treatment.. But the Dr I could afford cut me loose only a few days in.

So with these tools to work I've decided not to take any of the 19 strips I have left unless it gets very bad. In the past 3 days I've turned down my drug dealer. So I have a legitimate desire to stay clean.

I just don't want to relapse and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid that I will eventually. I was on Suboxone for as long as I was (2008-2012) because it took away the sickness, but also blocked the means of getting high because of the Naloxen. Call it a security blanket, but I was prepared to stay on it for life.

Let me digress because I always go on these tangents, I apologize for that. Here are some questions that you guys can help me with. I would also welcome any input.

1) Was it wrong of me to quit Cold Turkey while I had still posses Subs?
2) My WD last year lasted a combined 21 days. This was after I'd taken Subs for over 4 years. Since I only took it 5 days (8-16 mg a day) this time around, is it likely I won't exp a heavy WD?
3) How may days into a WD until the worst stuff kicks in and one become virtually paralyzed?
4) Am I wrong to refuse to take any of the films now since my symptoms have been mild?
5) Am I prematurely optimistic about not having a bad WD just 3 days into not taking them?

Thanks all!

Thank you all very much for taking the time.

Last edited by deviltawk on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Seems to me like they both blow as far as wd goes.
If you can do a long taper for a year or less and be in a little wd daily for the last few months or so... It'll just spread out the wd but make it not as intense as cold turkey.

But. Sorry to tell you that the "depressed feeling" and the other shitty paws don't go away for a long long long time. So. Get ready to "wait it out".

Good luck with finding a new doc. I hope you do. Then you can get back to living your life and not fighting through every day just to say you are!

There is no end to this. There is no gold star. There are no pats on the back. So getting off is very personal, but I still don't understand it... The feeling of "o can beat this thing once and for all!" "just as long as I keep myself busy my willpower will carry me through till I die".

Good luck bromigo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the encouragement.... I left a bunch of voicemails today and hope to maybe get a few calls back on Monday.

I also have a bigger directory of numbers I can call on Monday for doctors a couple cities over.

The silver lining, if there is one... I do still have 19 tabs, and if I got very sick when I had planned I can take just half of one and should be fine.... I just hope very much to find a proper Dr......