It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Cold turkey or taper
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have read in multiple places about tapering. However I just jumped from 4mg a day using for only 3 weeks. Am I better to start back and taper or just jump cold turkey. I have been told that with only 3 weeks use it might be better to just ride it out versus staying on subs for any longer. I was given 11 8mg strips from a friend on no instruction on taking. I was using it as a short term taper but obviously short term turned out a little longer then i wanted which is the reason I'm here. Lack of self control. I appreciate any suggestions from anyone that has any experiance. Thanks so much. It has been 48 hours since my last dose so i imagine I will start to feel it by tomorrow morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi stupidisasstupiddoes -

In my opinion, it's not a matter of how long you've taken the suboxone, but more importantly, how long have you been addicted to opiates IN TOTAL?? The suboxone is used to taper you off the full agonists you've been addicted to. The withdrawals you'll feel will pretty much be the withdrawals from the opiates you've been taking.

One question for you to think about. What will you do when you're off the sub? How do you plan to stay off opiates? What will you do to prevent relapse? Suboxone maintenance is there to get rid of cravings and prevent relapse while the person is on it. And while on it it gives that person time to get their head and overall shit and live together. That way, when they are ready to go it alone without the suboxone, they are fully prepared and will have better chances of success without relapse. Just something for you to think about.

If you give us some more info about how long you've been using and addicted overall, then we can give you some more ideas of what we think might be best in your case...a taper or if you might be able to do it the way you are now (cold turkey).

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi stupid...uhhh, maybe it's not so good for me to shorten your name...hehehe!!

You aren't alone in your lack of self control. That is something most of us have experienced, and why most of us ended up here! Maybe if you get on sub treatment for a while longer, you will have time to learn the self control that you need in order to maintain sobriety long term.

Are you able to get more films if you wanted to? You might want to start calling around to sub clinics to find a doctor who can prescribe you some in case your withdrawal gets bad and you can't stand it...otherwise you might end up back on your original doc. What were you taking before?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the info. I have battled an addition to oc for the last 5 years. I'm pretty sure it follows just about everyone elses normal cycle. Cycle back and forth between withdrawing and using. I had been clean for 5 months and feel off the wagon thru an old friend. Prior to that I did have a daily use for a 6 month period. My last bit of use was only for 2 weeks after being clean for the months but as you know once your tolerance has been built up over abuse it doesnt take long to get that number up there. The first 4 or 5 days of the 2 weeks were small does but by the end of weeks I was up to 180-210mg a day. I was disappointed that I fell off but overall I tend to be trending down on my use. I have been clean from everything else for 3 years and stopped smoking 6 months ago. I have slowly eleminated most of my vices but as they say to never say never because never could be tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi stup-". i second hatmaker all the way. remember the forum and we are here for you. trying to fight coming off all opiates
is the hardest part of it all, and that is why your here with us. 3 weeks of subs won't take care of much.
if i were going to taper off opiates i would not be on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So am I to understand that your total using time most recently was only six months? It sounds like that's what you said, and before that you were clean for 3 years?

If that's the case and you only have 6 months of active use and a couple weeks of sub use....you might, MIGHT, be able to continue with your cold turkey plan. It's hard to predict how someone will react with w/d though, because everyone is different. 4 mg is a very high dose to jump from. I'd say if you had some more you could possibly do a fast taper with it over the next few weeks. Due to your short term using history, that might work for you. But you're totally out of sub, right?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to say if you'll get hit w/ severe w/d or not from jumping from 4 mg. You still might. Your options remain the same: find a doctor to go back on it and taper off properly or cold turkey and suffer it out.

Let me add one bit of information: When it comes to stopping suboxone - or any opiate - the slower one goes, the easier the acute w/d will be and ALSO, the easier PAWS might be as well with a long slow taper. That's something to think about too.

Good luck and I'm sorry I can't give you better advice.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i was just saying we all have lack of self control when it comes to drugs and i thought a little longer suboxone treatment
would be a better option. it was just where i started out in a way with drug control and my lack of control got me in to trouble.