It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Be forewarned, this has the potential to be a long ass post. If so, I apologize. But, I feel the need to talk to somebody...anybody, actually...who has ever been through this before, and who may have some suggestions/encouragement/etc. I've been lurking around here on & off for years, & you guys are always super helpful & awesome.

Ok, without going into my extensive drug use history, I'm kinda just gonna break it down to the time on & right before starting Suboxone. I was shooting heroin for like 4 years or so. There was a period of time before my final relapse where my life changed dramatically. I was clean, feeling so good, & started going to an awesome church. I know not everybody believes in God, so take for it what you will, but I can say truly & honestly, that I felt like he touched my soul one night & changed my life. My mindset, my outlook on life, everything felt so much different & so much better, beautiful, & hopeful, literally in the blink of an eye. So, when I relapsed for awhile a few months later, it was more devastating to me than ever before. I NEEDED out. My daughter had just turned 2, & my life was taking a turn for the better in so many ways. My boyfriend, (now husband,) & I had gone through it all together & we were each other's biggest supporters, but also each other's biggest enablers, just cuz we couldn't stand to see each other sick. I felt I had no other options, so I went to the methadone clinic. (Yeah, I know...if I knew then what I know now, right?!) That was 2002. I was 21 years old. My husband decided to detox at a family member's house & just be done with it. I wish to God everyday that I would've done the same. He got through it, but seeing me coming home & nodding out from the methadone did nothing good for him mentally. He went a couple weeks later & got on methadone also. We were on it for right around a year. In that time we moved, he got a new job, and our lives were looking up even more. But, I swear to God...& the good folks at the clinic insisted it wasn't possible, (ha!) but I swear the methadone made me almost narcoleptic. I would be wide awake one second, then next thing I know I'm waking up, not even realizing I had fallen asleep. It wasn't the normal dope nod...it was something altogether different. I wrecked no less than 3 times because of it, once pretty damn badly, (hit a house, broke some ribs, my daughter was with me...scary shit.) Not to mention the several zillion cigarette burns throughout the house. It was scary & I didn't want to be on it anymore. Almost like it was meant to be, my husband's funding was cut & a friend told me about Suboxone.

I had actually been given buprenorphine shots in rehab once during clinical trials. They helped tremendously. I figured this was our way out! A step down, then off for good. Buprenorphine wasn't really a well-known thing at the time, (2003) so I called my friend's doctor & we both were accepted into his program immediately. Our doctor was/is completely awesome. No outrageous costs, (just $50 for a regular office visit,) & he let us go at our own pace. I started out at 3 8mg pills a day. My husband started out similar, but he was tapering & down to taking crumbs of a 2mg pill in no time. He jumped off & was fine. Achy & yucky for a few days, but still went to work & did life. I had similar plans, but ended up pregnant a couple months after starting sub. So, I called my dr to find out if I should get off or what I should do. He suggested staying on the same dose until after the pregnancy, so I did. I planned to taper & jump immediately afterwards, though. Well, I found out after my son was born that I couldn't taper for shit. If I felt yucky, I just took my regular dose. It wasn't working & I was not ready to give in & hand my pills over to someone else to help me taper. About 4 months or so after my son was born I just said screw this, & quit taking them. I made it 2 weeks with absolutely no comfort meds until I finally went back to the dr. I hate myself everyday for not giving it just a little longer. I could've done it & been over it by now.

Anyways, went back, only at 1 8 mg pill/day. (Too much, imo...he should've put me back on at 2mg at the most.) Regardless, I stayed at that for seemingly forever now. In that time my life has changed so much. I have a normal life. Wouldn't know how to find drugs if I wanted them. I homeschool my kids. The husband is a boss at his job. It's just crazy how different my life is! I feel the Suboxone is the only thing holding me back. The only other time I quit for any length of time was in August 2012. I have 3 kids now, (yes, I had 2 of them while on suboxone,) & I decided I wanted a tummy tuck & some other...enhancements :p I actually thought it would be a great opportunity, too, while having access to pain meds to try to quit taking suboxone. My plastic surgeon wasn't very knowledgeable about suboxone, but his anesthesiologist was. He was great. My sub dr. actually gave me a fentanyl patch & told me to quit taking sub & put the patch on a couple days ahead of time. I decided I wanted to keep that patch until after the surgery when I'd really need it. (Stupid me thinking I know better than a dr!) I woke up after my surgery writhing around in HORRENDOUS pain. The anesthesiologist kept administering IV morphine, trying to knock the sub off my receptors. It took quite a few tries, but he finally got it. It was like instantaneous relief. My plastic surgeon seemed completely baffled & amazed. It was obvious he had never seen anything like that. I was great for the days I was on percocets. My husband gave them to me as prescribed, & there was no issues. Then I went back for a follow up & was given Vicoden. Idk what the issue was, but the Vicoden made me an irritable asshole. I couldn't stand how I felt and I was in pain. The doctor put me back on the percocet. I went to see my sub doctor a couple weeks later & he was insistent I immediately start taking the subs again. I told him my plan & he wasn't hearing it. He's awesome, but he's still under the belief that there are no withdrawals when done correctly. I didn't know any better, and went back on it.

My dr. made no attempts to force a taper until I made it very damn clear he needed to. So, since last year I've been tapering. I've gotten down to about 4mg/day, (actually, I just take 8mg then skip a day or sometimes 2. Works better for me that way, plus I want to be out of the habit of needing it everyday.) I was going through a LOT of personal shit lately, which once again had me contemplating constantly, (like I have been for years,) that I need to get off this damn medicine. It helped me change my life, but for years it's been this dark cloud looming over me. I have to worry constantly about whether my insurance will change & not cover it, if my doctor will retire, will I be able to get my refill before we leave to go on vacation, etc. It gives me crazy anxiety, (which I struggle with anyways,) & drives me insane. Then, in the midst of all of this personal chaos, I get a letter from my doctor that he's retiring May 31, 2014. Awesome. But instead of the crippling anxiety I thought I'd feel, I felt completely at peace about it. I could find another dr, but in my area, (middle of nowhere, PA) they're few & far between, with waiting lists a year long or more.) Regardless, I don't want to find another dr. I just want to be done. So, my husband & I researched continuously for days & came up with a plan.

I had an appointment with my dr last Wednesday. I insisted he give me a taper plan just in case, (cuz he was unwilling to discuss any other option,) but I still decided to cold turkey it. I figured at least if it gets unbearable at any point, I still have time to try to find another dr if necessary, (which I'll have to be near death before I do that,) & I wanted to do it while my dr is still around. So, looking at our options we decided to order a few things. I have loperamide, kratom, kava, & nigella sativa seeds. We also managed to get some good pot, (weed usually gives me horrendous anxiety, but we managed to find someone who grows their own & has some that is much more calming & entirely different from any others I've ever smoked.) Also got some everclear in case I need it. I found some tramadol from years ago, too. Maybe 10-20 of those. I also found some blood pressure meds, but none of those are clonidine, so not sure if they'd even be helpful. And, I do have a shit ton of Sub strips leftover. Last monday I took my usual 8mg sub. Didn't take anymore until Friday. Took 2mg Friday & 2mg again Saturday night, (actually swallowed a lot of that cuz I smoked some of the weed we got, in order to sleep, & I felt good.) That was the last I took anything. So, I'm on day 5 right now. This Monday I tried parachuting some kratom, (my first experience with kratom,) & puked it right back up. Mixed it with some peanut butter later that day & managed to eat that over the period of about an hour, cuz I just wasn't hungry. Have only been taking about 6-7 g every morning. Haven't felt the need to take anymore than that so far, although by evening I can tell it's worn off completely, so I usually smoke some weed to relax then go to sleep. The withdraws are exactly like I remember from the first time, (restless arms more than legs, crawly feeling in my chest & back, headaches, lethargy,) except this time I'm feeling a lot more of the mental aspect of it. My brain is just extremely foggy & confused. Even when I have short moments of feeling good, I don't wanna do a damn thing. It's like I'm depressed, & I've never really dealt with that before. The anxiety has been minimal, thank god! That was one of my biggest worries. All in all, I can say I'm doing ok. Thank God for my husband, cuz he's been doing literally everything around the house & even coming home from work to check on us & see if the kids need anything. Don't know what I'd do without him right now.

So, I was wondering a couple things, (although feel free to give me any suggestions for anything at all.) First of all, the brain fog...I know my brain has to get used to making its own chemicals after 13+ years of non-stop opiate use, but if there's any natural ways to get it doing its job on its own a little better, I'd love to hear about it. Also, I have 3 kids so I got crap I gotta do. My husband can handle most things, but there's a couple things coming up he just can't do. So, I was wondering if one day I take a tiny piece...like maybe .5mg of my Suboxone...just to get through part of a day, would I have to start this whole process over again? I already have 5 days under my belt, & I know 5 days is nothing in the whole scheme of things, but it seems like forever when you're going through withdrawal. I just don't want to have to start back at day 1 again. Any help, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Z,

Wow!! A lot going on there. I am sure others will chime in on your thread with advice and suggestions. What I would say to you is that if you take more sub. it will set you back. The suboxone has a "stacking effect". When you were taking 8mg then skipping two days you were not really getting your blood level below the"ceiling" so withdrawals were probably minimal and you handled that.
I noticed that you are taking less before you stopped 5 days ago but I have to imagine the WD might get worse as you go because of the levels that are now leaving your system. If you decide to take more (.5mg), I would try to get stable at .5mg a day for 4 days, then reduce to .4mg 4 days, .3,.2,.1......get the idea. Once stable at .1mg, skip one day, dose.1mg, skip 2days, dose .1mg then stop. Use comfort meds but be careful with Kratom, I have heard that will prolong things.

To truly get the mind and body going you need to push yourself to exercise and eat right. I know this for a fact, I just recently have been discussing this very notion on this forum. I got off my ass and started working out and it is making a big difference!!! Taking L-tyrosine 2/500mg twice a day for good mood and energy and taking 2/500mg tryptophan at night for calm and rest. I am stable at 1mg right now(sub.). I do not want to talk about me on your thread, but the good food, exercise, and vitamins helps a great deal on the road to getting better. Final thought, try to stay away form other drugs, my opinion, I think that any benefits are far lees than the many downsides to taking them when your ultimate goal is to be clean.. Good luck.. others will share.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey zillie,

It takes a tremendous amount of courage to do what you just did, jumping off the sub and just roughing it out cold turkey. I just did the same myself, albeit from a lower dose of about 0.4mg per day (IV though). I've got two weeks off it, and I can absolutely agree that for about a good 7 days my brain was in a total fog; I couldn't concentrate for shit, not even on the TV, and got frequent headaches (they were relieved however with some tylenol).

Eventually that brain fog has lifted quite a bit, and now I'm on day 15. The restless legs and arms has subsided about 75% as well, although sleeping at night is extremely difficult. I've been using medical cannabis edibles daily at night to help with the stomach issues, and I was using Lyrica (pregabalin), a similar drug to Neurontin (gabapentin) to help sleep the first 10 days. However, now that I've stopped the Lyrica, sleep is damn near impossible. My blood pressure feels elevated when I try to sleep and I can hear my heart pounding in my chest the whole night.

Anyway, I think the medical cannabis can certainly be beneficial for stomach and GI issues, just keep an eye on your anxiety and blood pressure levels (sometimes weed makes my heart pound even harder). As far as using tramadol, that is an opiate (although a fairly weak one, and has some SSRI antidepressant properties), and loperamide is as well, although technically it does not affect the nervous system and only acts on the GI system. Best to avoid the tramadol if at all possible, and use the loperamide only if necessary. I didn't need it for my detox. And kratom does have some opiate action through a compound known as 7-hydroxymitragynine that is present in the plant..best to avoid this as well. Although I did know a friend who claimed kratom "cured" his opiate addiciton, although he later became a Xanax addict trying to detox off kratom.

In response to JustDoIt, I don't see the need to take more suboxone just to taper off it again; you are already at day 5, and the acute withdrawal phase shouldn't last past day 10.

Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your story. It brings me hope to know others are trying to and have successfully quit using buprenorphine. Keep us updated on your progress. - GP

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Z,

Where are you? Are you o.k.? Gratefulphish had some good suggestions, looks like there was a real connection to what you are going through. Hope you are doing well, ciao

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

KEEP GOING!!!!If you're already at day 5 with no subs at all then keep going no need to go backwards especially when you're almost in the clear.I wish I would've tapered and not have taken a tramadol Sunday night after quitting Suboxone almost 2 weeks ago today.It was only one 50mg pill but I look at that as a set back and I know you don't want that.I've heard of people using benzo's for a few night to help with some of the symptoms well the real serious symptoms but when doing that you gotta make sure you don't go from 1 addiction to another.I wish you luck you've been through a lot and I hope you keep on fighting and haven't went back to the Suboxone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I wanted to come chime in here, finally. I'm now on day 12! That's so exciting to me :) So much has happened over the past week since I posted.

I ended up having to take my husband to the ER for an emergency appendectomy last Friday night. He came home with pain & a fever & I knew something was wrong. He didn't wanna go, only because "I'm supposed to be taking care of you" he said. But I gotta tell you guys, except for first thing in the mornings, I've been feeling pretty much fine. Those first days I just didn't feel right, & I still have some brain fog. I actually feel like I've had paws symptoms this whole time, (lots of short term memory loss, headaches constantly, irritability, even a little paranoia here & there,) but I shouldn't, yet, right? No more depression, though, thank God! Anyways, I managed to get some neurontin & found some tramadol at my house (maybe I already said that in my op...can't remember.) The first several days I'd take either kratom alone, or loperamide & kratom, depending on how my stomach was acting that day. At first I only took it in the morning, but I eventually needed to take it in the early evening, too, once the real withdrawals were kicking in. No more than twice a day, though. I know some say every 4-6 hrs, but I've felt good at only twice a day. I tried the kava once, too, which was kinda relaxing, but wouldn't have worked well for withdrawal on its own I don't think. I really didn't want a kratom withdrawal hanging over my head, so I got some neurontin from my cousin who is on it. Figured I'd switch back & forth every couple days, cuz I read that it was great for withdrawal, too. The first time I took one was the night I took my husband to the hospital. I didn't sleep at all that night. Took another one in the morning before I left to go back to the hospital, & was wound up the entire day. Couldn't sit still for even a second. It almost made me feel like I was on speed or something. Took away the withdrawal symptoms, though! Saturday evening, though, I was so shaky & starting to feel horrible, & we were still waiting around for him to get discharged. A nurse brought my husband 10 mg percocet, & bless his heart, as soon as she left the room he spit them out & gave them to me. (He was still pretty whacked out from morphine they gave him, & from the anesthesia.) It leveled me out finally, & I felt much better.

I spent the next couple days taking care of him. I took kratom those days because I was afraid of the speedy effect from the neurontin, & I only wanted to take the Tramadol if I absolutely had to cuz I have no clue how they'd affect me. I felt fine from the kratom, though. My husband was given vicodin to come home with, & he gave them to me. He had told me many times he'd go through withdrawal for me if he could, & that was in a roundabout way his way of proving that. He was in pain the next few days, (& I did make him take one a couple times,) but he was willing to suffer through it if it meant I could feel ok. I didn't need it, but I put it in my arsenal for just in case. Fixed my son's iPad, cleaned the house, did everything I'd normally do those couple days.

I read then that I might've gotten wired from the neurontin cuz it was too high of a dose. Tuesday was the day I was worried about...the one I asked about taking a tiny bit of sub for. My daughter had an all day school thing. She's cyber/homeschooled, but her & her cyber classmates get together for stuff often. It was a place where we could rock climb & do gymnastics stuff...things I'd normally love to do. So I wanted to feel good, obviously. I had already made up my mind I wasn't taking any sub. I have a LOT leftover, but I never wanna touch it again & have no desire to. Anyways, I took half of a neurontin that morning. It takes a couple hours to kick in, but once it did I felt great. No speediness, & it didn't make me tired either like it does for some. We had a really good day that day.

By the time we got home later I wasn't feeling great. I actually wanted to not take anything that evening, just to gauge how severe my withdrawal symptoms would be without taking anything. I feel restless & sweaty/cold, just yucky in the mornings, but I always take something right away. I actually had a counseling appointment that evening & went to it feeling like crap. Till I got home later I was full blown miserable. I laid on the cold bathroom floor & managed to fall asleep. (I wanna mention this, cuz I used this method to be able to pretty much sleep through my transition from methadone to suboxone, & maybe it can help somebody else. I went through pure hell for about 3 days cuz I was transitioned entirely too soon from way too high of a dose of methadone. Plus, the subutex I was given tasted awful & I kept puking when I had it in my mouth. Worst withdrawals I've experienced in my life, by far. What I did was continuously switch from hot to cold. I'd get a super hot bath, which allowed me to fall asleep. I'd sleep in the tub until I'd wake up from the cold water & feeling miserable. Then without getting dressed I'd go into my bedroom & crank the a/c. I'd cover up, but was still cold enough that for some reason it allowed me to fall asleep. When I'd wake up, I'd get back in the tub. I did that continuously until I started feeling better. I took nothing else, & it really did work.) So anyways, that night I laid on the cold floor, knowing it would be comforting, & fell asleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night that night in horrendous pain. When I was little I'd get horrible leg pain some nights & my mom always said they were growing pains. But, I still get them from time to time, usually before it rains or the pressure changes or whatever. That night it was like that same pain, but all over. My arms, legs, back, everything hurt like hell. It was horrible. So, I quickly took 2 tramadol. Waited an hour & got no relief. So I took a vicodin. I didn't hold out much hope. In all my years of using & abusing opiates, vicodin never did anything for me. Never even took away legitimate pain. I actually thought I was gonna have to go to the ER...it was that painful. But within 20 minutes I felt great & my pain was going away. I couldn't believe it! That relief was wearing off after about 4-5 hrs, so I took another one.

I had to take my husband for a check up with his surgeon around lunchtime yesterday, & I didn't wanna be popping vicodin all day, so after the 2nd one I took, I waited about an hour & took one neurontin, so it would kick in before the vicodin wore off (I've heard neurontin works for pain, too.) On our way home I could tell it was kicking in, & thankfully it affected me like it should, instead of making me feel like I was all wired. Felt good till last evening. The restlessness & achiness was starting, so I ate a little bit of kratom. I was so worried I'd wake up this morning in horrible pain again, but surprisingly I slept all night & woke up feeling not half bad for once. I was sneezing my head off as soon as I opened my eyes, (what is up with the crazy powerful sneezing?!) But my arm & leg pain wasn't bad at all. I waited a little while, got my youngest son breakfast & stuff. I wasn't feeling good, but not horrible either. I think I might be on the downslope. At least I hope so! I get a little of the restless feeling in my arms & chest here & there but it's short-lived & not unbearable. I think today I might try some nigella sativa seeds if it gets any worse, or maybe some loperamide on its own. No matter what, I'm feeling pretty damn good, considering. If I can come from 11 years of high doses of suboxone this easily, anybody can. I'm not in the clear yet, but it hasn't been bad. Wish I'd have done it a long time ago. So many years of anxiety over this, for absolutely nothing.

I'll keep checking back. Just wanted to give an update, & hopefully, more importantly, give someone some hope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but taking tramadol, kratom, and vicodin through this sub withdrawal is just going to delay the inevitable. I do completely understand your reasoning behind it because many times in the past I tried to get through withdrawal by taking something else. One of two things would happen- either I would lose control and go back to abusing opiates or I would just delay the withdrawal. I am an addict so I can totally relate to your desire to use less potent opiates to get off subs. But now that I have some clean time and can look at what I did and what others like yourself are doing from a outside perspective, I can see the insanity of it all. I mean, we used subs to get off opiates and now we are using opiates to get off subs? its just ridiculous, not to mention incredibly risky and likely to have adverse effects.

I hope you can stop with the tramadol and vicodin and just let the withdrawals happen as they must. Just be careful because what you are doing may wake the addict within and you'll be right back on full agonist. I hope I am not offending you because I have done exactly what you are doing right now and I understand it. I just know it didn't work for me and doesn't work for most people...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I only took the vicodin & tramadol one day. Still have plenty of each & no desire to take them if it's not necessary, or abuse them. As far as kratom, I knew there could be a potential withdrawal from that, which is why I acquired the neurontin. My Dr was no help when I asked him for comfort meds, cuz he wasn't supportive of me making the jump yet.

Regardless, today is day 17. Haven't taken anything except loperamide once in the past several days. If I'm busy I feel absolutely great. If I'm still, there's a hint of the body restlessness going on, but barely. Besides the crazy sneezes that's all I've got going on. Mentally, I'm still not 100% back to myself, & I don't have my normal amount of energy. But I'm not lethargic & depressed, thankfully.

My main issue now is my anxiety. I had horrible anxiety issues before I got on Suboxone, which was why I ended up falling in love with opiates so much. They took my anxiety away. The benzos I was prescribed to back then never helped a whole lot, & I hated how they made me feel. I was afraid after stopping the suboxone, my anxiety would come back full force. The past couple days it's really been bad, I'm assuming cuz I've taken absolutely nothing. I have no plan to get on medication for it. Hoping meditation will work, & I've been starting to practice it lately.

So, that's my story so far. Thankfully, it worked for me, but I can see it going horribly wrong if you aren't careful. Plus, I legitimately hated having to eat kratom. It made me gag & puke. It took away withdrawals, but I can't say I felt good from it. Weird maybe, but not a feeling I'd ever want normally.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thats good to hear, I am glad you are still doing well. It is very dangerous having those opiates around the house though, even if right now you have no desire to use. That desire can come back any second without warning, even if moments before you were highly motivated to never touch them again. The best thing you can do for yourself right now, especially since you are so far along in the process of withdrawal, is get rid of all those pain meds. When I first came off subs I swore Id never touch them again. After a couple months that motivation to never touch them again faded and in a moment of weakness(anxiety, depression, boredom, etc.) I thought I may be able to do it just once. If i had them around the house I am sure this feeling would have sprung up sooner just knowing they were there.

As for your anxiety, I had the same problem and opiates definitely helped immensely. I am in a place now in my recovery where I am learning that anxiety is not the worst thing that can happen to me. I chose anxiety over a life dedicated to pills any day. I do meditate which helps and I face my anxiety head on knowing it won't kill me. The more I face it the weaker it becomes. GOOD LUCK!