It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Clonidine and Jogging
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:33 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey all - I've been trying (as best I can) to get in shape throughout my taper process. Question - Is it OK to run while taking Clonidine or is that a bad idea. I assume that since running raises blood pressure and Clonidine lowers it, it's probably not a problem, but thought I would throw that out. The issue will more likely be my motivation since Clonidine makes me SO tired. I do also have a call into my doctor on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would certainly suggest that you follow what your doctor tells you but I strongly suspect he will say there is no problem with exercise while taking Clonidine. The fact of the matter is, many people exercise who also take blood pressure medication - and that's pretty much what Clonidine is. Exercise is also usually helpful while tapering or stopping Suboxone (or opiates in general) for a variety of reasons. Many people report feeling much better after exercise. In general, the only time exercise is prohibited is due to other physical or medical issues that may be going on. If you are otherwise cleared for exercise, Clonidine should not prohibit that. Again, follow your doctor's advice, but I'll be really surprised if he tells you anything different - again, unless there is something else going on that we are not aware of.

Good luck with the taper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:06 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks Don - I'm healthy and exercise somewhat regularly but I will definitely clear with my doctor first.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with don on this one. You should be just fine to exercise while taking Clonodine. I'm no doctor, but I'm thinking (and as always I could be wrong) that one of the few warnings on BP meds is that it could make one dizzy when standing up too fast. If you are having that problem I'd be sure to inform the doctor of that, too, but it shouldn't preclude you from getting in some good exercise. Good luck and just for the sake of accuracy, let us know what your doctor says.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Most people with high BP are encouraged to exercise. I take Clonidine, 0.2mg's, 3x's/day, and ride my bike 15 miles a day with no problems at all. Hatmaker nailed it, the best way to tell if your BP is too low is getting up too quickly and feeling dizzy. It still wouldn't hurt to get your BP checked a couple times a week. Seems almost all pharmacies has a BP cuff machine. I usually get it checked right when I walk in, then read some magazines for a few minutes, then check it again. It can change a LOT in just a couple minutes. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:13 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Doc said go forth and jog merrily.....thanks all.