It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

About two months ago, I lost my insurance... and had to stop taking Suboxone after being on it for 3 years because of previous problems in abusing hydrocodone and methadone. I was at 8 mg's a day when, over the course of a month, I weaned down to 2 mg's before jumping off. My doctor ASSURED me that aside from a few days of restlessness, I wouldn't go through withdrawal. He was a damned liar.

I lasted about 8 days before I was able to score some hydrocodone to stop with the withdrawal. I took it for probably a week, maybe a week and a half before I found methadone.

Now I've been taking methadone for about 2 weeks.

I know, it was ridiculous of me to do this... but I had a job on the line and I simply couldn't take the withdrawl. I was sleeping on average one to two hours a night and was so physically and mentally fried that I panicked and started using again.

Keep in mind, this has only been a month of use. And I am committed to completely jumping off the Methadone (10.5 mg's a day) this week.

My question is... even though it's been three years since I used methadone (for about 2 months), will I have withdrawal, even if I've only used it THIS time around for about two weeks?

Second question... I have two 8mg pills of Suboxone left for an emergency. Let's say I do experience withdrawl from the methadone... and I use the Suboxone... will I instantly be re-addicted to it even after being clean for a little over a month?

I am absolutely clueless about this, so I appreciate it if you can look past my stupidity!

Thank you very much

- J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know if your doctor lied to you or was just woefully misinformed, but you're right - 2 mg is too high a dose to jump off from. I'm sorry it turned out the way it did for you. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions with any specificity. It's possible that after only 2 weeks of methadone that you won't have much in the way of withdrawals. If you do, you could take extremely low doses of suboxone for a couple of days without getting dependent on it again - I think.

My main concern/question is even if you didn't have the withdrawals from suboxone, would you have been able to stay off opiates? You didn't use hydrocodone or methadone to only stop the withdrawals, you went back into the cycle of active addiction, and rather quickly at that. I'm not telling you that you need to go back on suboxone, but I'm suggesting you consider if you can remain free from relapse without it. Just something that occurred to me that I wanted to share with you.

Lastly, my disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or any kind of medical professional. I'm just sharing with you what I've learned about suboxone and addiction in the last 2 years. I'm sure others will come along and share their experience and knowledge with you as well. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.