It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oct 21, 2016 'Health insurer Cigna Corp has discontinued its policy of requiring doctors to seek authorization before treating opioid addicts, as part of a fight against an epidemic of opioid abuse, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said on Friday.'

'The policy change will apply nationally, said Schneiderman, who has been pushing for easier access to treatments for the estimated 2.2 million Americans who need treatment for abuse of heroin or prescription painkillers.'

http://www.reuters.com/article/cigna-op ... SL4N1CR44B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YES! Lets hope more follow in their footsteps. Very good news. The numbers are staggering. 78 deaths a day. 2.2 million Americans need treatment right now!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As a follow-up: Anthem's $45 billion dollar purchase of Cigna is on hold pending The Justice Dept's anti trust trial against Anthem. Given the contentious relationship between Cigna and Anthem, Cigna is unlikely to extend its April 30 acquisition deadline. Currently, if Anthem does purchase Cigna, a preauthorization will not be required of Cigna policyholders. Its yet to be determined if post merger, Anthem may be forced to drop the preauthorization requirement for its members as well. Preauthorizations can cause significant, unneccesary and painful delays to obtain a bup script.

Separately, the anti trust trial for Aetna's $33 billion dollar purchase of Humana also started. If both mergers go thru, the number of large health insurers drops from 5 to 3. The new order will be #1 Anthem #2 United Healthcare #3 Aetna.

Wishing all my best, P

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:47 am 

It's just good to hear from you!!!

Amy :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks. I had to break for awhile. This place got to me w posters denial or manipulation - which i now easily recognize, bc I did ALL that too... You'd all be surprised at the posts that got to me.

I now understand why those who taper off bup here, cut and run. It gets raw and fresh and is a reminder of where we once were w all the pain - back - staring us in the face. At first I didn't understand. I thought, where are they? Did they just come and take? They got help and can't bother to stay and help? and not bother to keep their recovery going? But for awhile there, I got worn out too. I hope to continue to contribute bc wo my time on bup, I'd not exist as a healthy happy highly functioning being. I'm still learning and growing yet I know to protect my recovery on and now off bup.

I am convinced that accepting and choosing accountability is a big part of recovery. You'll notice that while I've been off bup for quite awhile, I refuse to promote or push anyone into stopping. In fact, I encourage folks to stay on, use their time on bup to work on themselves and to truly get away from active addiction and then stabilize and restart life!! And enjoy life! What I care about is if folks care about their recovery and if they're staying in recovery, on or off bup.

Thanks to all here for incredible efforts to save and better lives, Pelican

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:41 am 

That makes so much sense to me. In the mod section every once in a while one of us will start a thread about how annoying it is that the Stopping Suboxone section is so busy with people who seem to want their taper/detox handed to them. A definite lack of accountability.

My personal pet peeve is when people think that their biggest problem is that they're "stuck" on buprenorphine and it's hard to get off of it. I can't figure out why they can't see that their opiate addiction is the actual problem. Instead they anthropomorphize a medication that helped them when they were at their most desperate. You know?

Yes, it's the attitude of being in recovery that is the most important for sure and there are a range of techniques and tools that aid in recovery. It doesn't have to be all or nothing or just this one way of doing things.

In any case, you always have interesting and intelligent things to say so it's nice that you're checking in. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

". I can't figure out why they can't see that their opiate addiction is the actual problem. "

The very definition of the addicts mind is to deny the problem in the first place. But then of course,
you know that. Closely tied in with that is the refusal to be accountable. Much, much, much easier to blame
bupe for all their problems...or anything else... than themselves.

Who among us hasn't been there? I still drop in from time to time, then awaken as from a very bad dream.
I love those posters who blame bupe for their problems. The machinery of their disease...*our* disease, is never more clearly revealed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:46 pm 

Pelican I have wondered where u had went to, it didn't occur to me that it was because of that but u know what....... I'm honestly going through a bit of that myself right now. I get so frustrated and so angry when the bashing happens. I guess it's because, this being a Pro Suboxone forum, why come here to bash or even be negative or judge. We get so much of that in the real world, I want this to be our safe place, our peaceful place full of support. It's so easy to just go somewhere else. It's like they want support but don't support the newcomers or the ladies who're pregnant. I get upset about that.

What I have noticed about myself though is that I'm very quick to give up on those ppl never changing. Some won't ever change but there are some that I've been wrong about. So I'm gonna try to just be more patient. But I do understand exactly what ur talking about.

I do want u to know that imo, ur a huge asset to this forum. Ur unique because you've been off buprenorphine so long and ur still offering ur support and ur experience. I don't think we have a lot of ppl willing to do that and still be a big supporter of suboxone. So please stick around, I definitely noticed u hadn't been around for awhile.

Maybe my New Years resolution should be to be more patient :)