It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Chronic Pain and Subutex
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:55 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello, I have been on suboxone/subutex for 8 months - recovering from a Vicodin addiction. My question is how does one in our position treat for pain? Obviously, going through rehab and going on to Subutex maintenance is a great thing for me and has turned my life around. On the other hand, just because I have done those things doesn't mean my chronic pain has gone away. For example, I am currently in a great deal of pain in my shoulder after sustaining some type of injury to my shoulder. No, nothing broken, dislocated or torn - just very very sore and painful. I am curious what others have done in this situation?

I mean just because we are recovering opiate addicts doesn't mean we don't have pain from legitimate accidents, injuries, etc. How does one in our position treat that sort of pain?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi timstspry and welcome to the forum. Like you, I suffer from chronic pain. I rely on my suboxone and muscle relaxants to treat my pain. It doesn't make it disappear completely, but for the most part, it makes it tolerable (save for really bad days).

The trick with using sub(-oxone or -utex) for pain is to split your dose. Sub's pain properties only last on average about 6 hours. For you, that would me dosing only about 2-4 mg, 2-3 times per day. For some people, that's sufficient to help their pain; but for others, that's not a high enough dosage.

If your doctor allows you, you might have to play with your dosage for the best pain relief.

I hope this helps. Again, welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:58 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the advice Hatmaker. Yes, my sub doc does let me play around with the dose. I tried going up from 8mg to 12mg a day and nearly got sick. So, back down to 8mg a day. Guess 8mg a day is not all that bad :) At least I don't get sick.