It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Chest Pain
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

With Subutex 1 - 2 mg, I'm having chest pain and odd/perceived difficulty breathing and chest tightness. The pain comes and goes quickly but seems to radiate around my heart. I will feel very warm 2 hours after taking Subutex.

I'm not going to be able to go to the emergency room. I've stopped the Subutex.

Why is this happening? It helps with cravings so I'd like to continue taking it, but chest pain is scary, especially left side chest pain, near the heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I feel tightness right below my chest sometimes and stomach feels like I got stabbed sometimes. But this medicine is working wonders I will be taking it as long as I feel I need too. I hope your chest pain is not serious!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Can someone give me some input?

It's been a few days since I've felt the chest pain but I had palpitations yesterday, pretty bad. Today I feel better but at the same time feel terrible emotionally.

I suppose I'll try a lower dose but the chest pain was downright scary. I'm 20.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hon I'm afraid I have no answers but I have the SAME thing. Docs brush it off. In fact, every side effect I have is either met with "Its not the Suboxone" or "maybe you'll have to stop Suboxone" which obviously I cant do. How about Docs start listening to people with chest pain/difficulty breathing? This drug hasn't been around *that* long that they have all the answers. Good luck, man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally I haven't had any problems with chest pains since starting Suboxone over a year ago.
Chest pains like you describe could be very serious and should likely be evaluated by your family doctor or even a cardiologist. I don't understand why a trip to the ER is out of the question. Regardless, please take care and keep us posted on how you're doing. I hope it's nothing serious.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

No chest pains here as of yet. I smoke cigs (yuk, wanna quit....) and I still don't have any chest pains. But I have not noticed a difference since starting suboxone almost 9 months ago. I would see a doctor if I were you, if need be then a different doctor then sub doctor. Also, just a question....but could it be anxiety?? Just wondering?...

Good luck!!!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is your current dose of Subutex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am no doctor and I have not had chest pain on suboxone.

First, you should ALWAYS treat ALL chest pain seriously and I don't care how old you are or are not.

Suboxone and I am sure subutex as well are both known to cause anxiety in some people. Anxiety can cause heart palpitations and it can cause chest pain as well as reflux issues. So if you want to try something out, try taking some tums and see what happens. I realize this probably sounds stupid but my husband was getting anxiety when we owned our business and he would get this debilitating chest pain. He is older (45) and we thought he was having a heart attack once. Went to the ER. Did the whole overnight EKG blah blah. It was suspected anxiety. Now when he is super stressed and he gets chest pain he takes a few tums and he is ok. Somehow the anxiety is causing reflux. If that doesn't work, then try sitting really still and focusing on your breathing and take slow deep breaths. Focus on the cool air coming in your nose and the warm air going out. Just focus on the feel of your breath. That could help relax you a little if it is anxiety. I am not saying you would be cured, but it may help you figure out what is happening to you.

I still think you should go to the doctor.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The reason a trip to the ER is not my first line of defense is I have no insurance and my last trip there cost about 9 grand. So yes, if it was THAT bad I would go, but I can't run down there everytime I have them. I did have an EKG and heart was fine. I just have to keep trying my own investigations. Yesterday I took my 2mg in the a.m., then took a 'chip' about 3 pm, and had NO problems twitching or breathing last night. Just have to fine-tune this sucker! Thanks for everyone's input.

Post subject: Re: Chest Pain
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had chest pain and difficulty breathing too for 3 weeks now. I almost passed out driving two days ago because of it. I hadn't taken the Sub in a day, but I still had that. I went to the ER a week ago and the EKG and chest Xray came back normal of course. I had a couple of episodes two days ago. One in the morning, a few hours after I took my 2nd dose and the other at night.

I've been on Sub for 3 1/2 years and it's been great up until about 3 weeks ago and it suddenly changed, or at least I think it's the Sub. What's weird though is sometimes I can take it and it's fine, for a couple of days and then all of a sudden it gets real bad fast.

I'm going to take a quarter dose tomorrow, about 12 hours from now and see what happens. I'm prescribed one 2mg tablet a day. I started taking it differently the past few months. I would break it up into 4 quarters and take a quarter dose every 4 or 5 hours. Then I got sick and I went back down taking 2 doses, just cut it in half. Now I'm down to taking a half a dose a day and now a quarter dose tomorrow to see how I feel.

Can you update me on your progress and let me know what happened? I know this thread is old, but it's the only one I've found related to my problems. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:53 pm 

I'm concerned about you! Because this is something that gets brought up so rarely here that I doubt the problem is the sub! Are you on any other medications? I just can't imagine that after using sub for the last 3 1/2 years that sub would suddenly make your heart have problems. According to Dr. Junig, who runs this forum, suboxone is one of the safest medications out there! And certainly the safest opiod because of the ceiling.

Still, I totally understand why you're searching for things to explain your symptoms! After they did the tests and they came back normal did the doctor have any suggestions? I would definitely be frustrated in your situation!

I hope it either goes away or you figure it out soon! Those symptoms have got to be scary! Please keep us informed on how you're doing.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I'm concerned about you! Because this is something that gets brought up so rarely here that I doubt the problem is the sub! Are you on any other medications? I just can't imagine that after using sub for the last 3 1/2 years that sub would suddenly make your heart have problems. According to Dr. Junig, who runs this forum, suboxone is one of the safest medications out there! And certainly the safest opiod because of the ceiling.

Still, I totally understand why you're searching for things to explain your symptoms! After they did the tests and they came back normal did the doctor have any suggestions? I would definitely be frustrated in your situation!

I hope it either goes away or you figure it out soon! Those symptoms have got to be scary! Please keep us informed on how you're doing.

Amy

Thank you Amy. I'm worried about me too. If it's not the Sub, then I think I might die, because no one seems to know. The ER doc thought it was the Ambien CR I was taking. I took 2 instead of 1. That didn't make sense to me, but I stopped it. Then when I was feeling better again I started taking Lunesta again. After a couple of days, I was feeling the best I felt in 3 weeks and then later that night I started feeling bad again after I took the Subutex and I had 2 or 3 episodes in about a 18 hour period where I thought I was going to die. One of which was when I talked about driving and I almost passed out, but it didn't feel like that, if felt like if my pulse didn't get stronger I was dead. I somehow managed to survive that, I started yelling no no no and breathing as hard as I could and I made it.

In fact in the time that I started writing this, I've gone from feeling not that great, to now, my heart is racing. I had really bad withdrawals today and I finally took some Sub at around 7:30 pm. I was feeling better, but now my chest is tight again and I feel anxiety. It's not in my head either, I've had panic attacks, this is different. I've never felt so bad and scared in my life. I was given blood pressure pills but I haven't taken then since those episodes because had I done that I'm pretty sure I would have at the very least passed out while driving and possibly died.

I just took a quarter dose tonight and I'm going to see my psych doctor tomorrow morning. I'm not even sure he's in but I need this to stop now. There is one thing that I wonder might be the Subutex. When I was detoxing a few years ago from Vicodin, I was given Subutex there and I was sent to the hospital with a racing pulse and I think I felt a little like I do now. They ran a stress test and it came back normal, but they said they thought the Subutex caused water around my heart.

I didn't take any Sub for a couple years and then I got my pdoc to prescribe it for me. It's always made me nauseous, something that I found that very few people had and I did get a little chest tightness when I'd take it, but nothing like this and it would go away in a few minutes. Since I have had issues with it in the past, don't you think it might be the Sub? What I don't understand is aside from the nausea, why did it seem to work perfectly for 3 years?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One last thing....if I'm allergic to the Subutex, is there anything I can take that's not worse that will ease the withdrawal symptoms and the depression?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

If you're not having chest pain, nor know why people are, then why are you posting? This topic isn't about people that aren't having chest pain, so if you don't have pain, or anything useful to post, then please quit spamming the thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:04 pm 

darpinion,

One, this post is really old. Look up at the left hand corner to see the date it started.

Two, this being your first post, I invite you to introduce yourself in the Introduction section. Tell us a little about you and how you arrived here on this forum.

Three, Welcome to the forum!

Rule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I realize this is a very old thread but it relates to me. I have been on Suboxone 8mg 2x daily for a few months and am having strong chest pains over my left pectoral area as well. It slows me down. I can provide more info to relieve feedback if anyone still watches this thread... I 31 yr old male in otherwise good health. Thank you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:09 pm 

Hi, just wanted to welcome you here!
I am sorry that I don't have any experience with this. I hope someone with some knowledge will respond to you soon! I hope that you are feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm sure one of the Drs has an answer but I don't know of any reason suboxone would cause chest pain maybe go see your dr and find out if it could be being caused by something else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:28 am 

I agree with impala 100% U should definitely go see ur doctor about this. I don't think it's sub related, but of course I'm not a dr and that's only my opinion. My fiance had a heart attack at age 35, he's 36 now. He'd been having chest pains that went down his arm, when he was in Nebraska for work, he had a heart attack. So it can happen and u should get it checked out, he had warning signs. Not trying to scare ya, just think u should check it out. Hopefully Dr J or docm will respond. I really hope u feel better soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think it is the Suboxone, but it could certainly be related to your history of drug abuse. Any IV drug use? It can cause valve damage or other heart problems. A previous infection as a child may have left you with mitral valve problems which can lead to problems that look like anxiety on the surface.
Those conditions are readily seen with an echocardiogram. If it is a rhythm problem then a Holter Monitor is used (24 hour EKG) to look for abnormalities in the pattern of the heart beat. If your doctor is from my generation they might even use a stethoscope to listen for abnormalities. (Just an old poop taking a shot at the young turks)