It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Chantix
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have researched 'Chantix' quite a bit in the past 2 months. I am sure that I still don't know enough about it to make a decision. I have smoked cigs since I was 14 when I started 'partying', ~12.5 years ago. I have smoked at least 1 pack a day for ~11 years and 2 packs a day for the past ~6 or 7 years. I quit multiple times for a week or two or even a month at a time. The longest I quit was for about ~18-19 months. That was also the last time I quit, and I have been smoking the most since that last 'relapse', at usually more than 2 packs a day. {Its like Dr. Junig says when opiate addicts relapse, it is worse and worse each time....thats what happened with my cig smoking as well, interesting!}.

Basically, I would like to know if ANYONE has first hand experience with Chantix for an aid to quit smoking. I have looked into sites like 'drugs.com' and such, plus googled for the basic info, but I haven't really heard any first hand experiences.
How long can you use it? The basic info says 12-24 weeks. What if that is not long enough? Is it bad for you to take for an extended period of time?

From what I understand it works with your brain at the 'nicotine receptors' (or whatever they would be called) kind of like bupe works for opiates at the opiate receptors. Meaning, it should take away the cravings for the most part, but wouldn't give the 'nicotine buzz', making smoking a cig not pleasurable. Would it be like suboxone in the way that if I was to smoke a cig, it wouldn't effect me? Or am I totally wrong and have the completely wrong idea? OR....am I somewhere in the middle....

ANY input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey bigred - I don't have any personal experience with Chantix, but my understanding of how it works agrees with what you wrote. I have a friend who quit for a while by using it, but I think she's started up again now.

I have also read that there are some serious mental side effects possible with Chantix, like suicidal ideation and depression, so if you have issues along those lines or ever have that's something to think about.

Whatever you decide, just keep trying to quit. I smoked heavily pretty much continuously from age 13 to 29. I quit so many times and then started up again. I quit when I was pregnant, then started up again a few years after my daughter was born. It took me a few more tries to get and stay quit, but now it's been 3 or 4 years. I don't know why it finally stuck - I tried so many different methods. All you can do is keep trying. Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

DOAQ,

Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you have been able to quit....and I envy you, thats a looong time (to me at least!). I have indeed read about the possible severe mental side effects. I would give it a shot even with the chance for those side effects.....only because I know I am slowly (or not so slowly) killing myself from the cigs. Don't get me wrong, if the mental side effects were that bad I would stop the chantix right away, but I am hoping that I would be able to overcome such mental hurrdles if they came up.

Well, I guess I will wait a little bit more for some other info and keep researching for now. Until then, I'll prob keep smoking for now. I will keep trying to quit though, with or without chantix.......we'll see what happens.

Also, if/when I do decide to taper off of subs I am going to use the Liquid Taper Method and be referring to your experience with that. But I don't know when that will be. I just know that, that is the correct way to come off of subs with small steps very slowly. It is a very smart idea to make a liquid solution of the sub. From the sounds of it, you really got your shit together and are doing well....Great job!!!

On a totally different note:

In another post I seen you wrote back somewhere in the post...........blah blah fuckin blah.........
Thats awesome. I'm always saying that, always! I don't know where it came from, or how/when you started using that saying, but I first heard it in the movie 'crank'.

Well, thanks alot for all the great stuff you post!! Take care...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Big Red,
First congratulations on taking the step to try to figure out the best way to quit smoking. That really is a big first step. LOL - You're a better person than I. After giving up all my other crutches (opiates, daily pot, & benzos) , I can't imagine giving up my ciggies anytime soon. But I digress.

My understanding is as above that it blocks or occupies the nicotine receptors, so even for the first week while on Chantix and still smoking, you're not getting the pleasure.

My husband is 58 years old and smoked on and off for probably over 30 years. He's quit several times, but never for too long. A little over one year ago he started on Chantix - he hasn't smoked since! He had no problem with the mental side effects - no depression or anything. But it did make him terribly nauseous. Because of that he didn't stay on it as long as his doc wanted him too, and as it turned out he did OK.

I've had major depression since my teens, so I'm likely not a great candidate for Chantix, but for the first time, this week I actually considered doing it that way, when I'm ready.

Best of luck to you - I know you can do it.

And congrats, Diary, for succeeding on quitting!

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know this is a pretty late response Bigred considering the last time someone else posted was in early January but I just wanted to share that while I don't have experience with Chantix (as my insurance won't cover smoking cessation drugs) I have been successfull with generic zyban. The doctor helped me out by writing the prescription to say I was taking the medication for depression so insurance would actually pay for it but after a week of starting on it I was done smoking. It didn't do anything for me anymore even the time I tried it just gave me a headache. As of today I haven't smoked a cigarette in about 8 months. There really didn't seem to be any side effects either other than a bit of stomach discomfort at first. Anywho just wanted to let you know that using medication to help quit smoking does work :) Hope you've decided what route your going :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's funny I just read this today, I just started on wellbutrin 2 days ago to quit smoking again (plus it helps with my depression). I say again because I have had success in the past with wellbutrin and quit taking it and started smoking again. I know, stupid, but hey I am an addict in every way. Anyway, I tried chantix before I tried wellbutrin (my Dr. said wellbutrin is the same as zyban just better for my insurance coverage). I know of several people that quit smoking on chantix successfully. I tried it myself and first off my insurance wouldn't pay for it, then when I started on it I had so much nausea I had to discontinue. Some people experienced mild nausea and kept taking it and it went away but mine was too severe. Then my doctor prescribed the wellbutrin. Here's how it worked.

I kept smoking until a couple of weeks later cigarettes tasted horrible, and the smell was worse. You just gradually notice yourself smoking less and less until you just want to stop. It's actually very strange once it starts working. It made me even more sensitive to the smell. I had to scrub everything down that I had ever smoked around. My understanding of the Chantix is it works in a very similar way. You actually keep smoking when you first start taking it until it becomes distasteful to you. I would recommend either one. Zyban or Chantix. Another side effect is vivid and somewhat crazy dreams.
Sorry so long, hope this helps. Wish me luck.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you ALL for your responses. I have not been online lately because my bad back is kicking my ass!!! I am behind in every aspect. I have not researched further into quitting smoking, as far as medication assistance. I will most certainly look into Zyban and the other meds that were mentioned.

Of course, now I am smoking the most I have ever smoked in my life. So much 'stuff' going on, but I really would like to be cig-free.

Once again, thank you ALL for the insight and advice..... I really appreciate it.

Take care!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't quit smoking successfully but I have tried both chantix and zyban. I can take zyban with little to no side effects. The chantix on the other hand kind of made me feel like I was on acid and I became quite nervous and then pissed when I got zero effect from smoking. I quit taking it.

Good luck. Statistically cold turkey is most successful. Sounds so pleasant :-)

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the info Cherie!

I have tried to quit a few times. The longest was for about 18 months, cold turkey from about 2 packs a day. My father passed away very suddenely the end of '05 and I started back smoking a few months into '06. I smoke AT LEAST 2 packs a day now.

I will look into both Chantix and Zyban more. The thing that attracted me to Chantix is that if it works as good as Suboxone works in its own aspect, then I will give it a go for sure! I appreciate your post/info. Thank You, and Take Care....