It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Changing Drs?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I seem to have stumbled upon a miracle and found a psychiatrist locally who specializes in addiction and favors long term bupe treatment. Some of you know I am attempting a taper, but I still want to have a safety net. My current doctor has been helpful and accommodating, but it's very expensive each month. $200. Add another $500-600 for the films and I'm sucking up my entire family's health savings account each month. BCBS covered my med for a whopping 6 months. I wonder if my insurance would work better with this psychiatrist?

I sometimes think I'd be in better hands (mentally and physically) of a true addiction clinician. Does anyone have any experience with switching doctors? Does it make you look flakey? Do you prefer psychiatrists over other type MDs? This guy I just found seems like such an anomaly in the field. Like a Tennessee Dr J! And I wonder if he could be more helpful to me during my taper and in the long run.

Thank you for reading and any help you can give me!

Post subject: Re: Changing Drs?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

About a year after I got on Suboxone I started seeing an addiction counselor and he helped me a lot in understanding my addiction and getting me started in recovery. I would say if you have a chance to get in with a psychiatrist who prescribes Suboxone and can help you with your addiction, it would be a benefit to you.

What dose are you currently on, if you don't mind me asking? I've seen some of your posts, but I don't remember what dose you're on? BTW, I would have responded to your other posts/threads, but I broke my hand a few weeks ago and typing with a cast on is a pain in the arse!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Minnie, would you mind sharing the doctors name and location? You have my interest peaked!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Hey Minnie, would you mind sharing the doctors name and location? You have my interest peaked!

Here's his website. He's ridiculously close to me location wise. He's probably full and I'm just wasting my time - but still, can't hurt to look into it.

http://www.richardgfarmermd.com/1803213.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo wrote:
About a year after I got on Suboxone I started seeing an addiction counselor and he helped me a lot in understanding my addiction and getting me started in recovery. I would say if you have a chance to get in with a psychiatrist who prescribes Suboxone and can help you with your addiction, it would be a benefit to you.

What dose are you currently on, if you don't mind me asking? I've seen some of your posts, but I don't remember what dose you're on? BTW, I would have responded to your other posts/threads, but I broke my hand a few weeks ago and typing with a cast on is a pain in the arse!!

Hi Romeo, I have enjoyed reading your posts on the board.

I have been seeing therapists for 15 years or so, but never an addiction counselor. And get this, I've never told anyone I was addicted. Therapy without disclosing that information is SO FUTILE. I definitely need help in the addiction arena. It would be comforting to talk with a psychiatrist who can prescribe the med AND talk with me a little - or point me in the direction of someone he works with that I could talk with. I am on 6 mg right now. The first couple of years were from 24-16. My longest dose was for 8 mg. I feel fine on 6 and kind of dread anymore reduction.

I'm sorry about your hand Romeo! I bet typing is not fun at all!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It was hard for me to come out about my addiction, but for me, it was a big step forward when I did. Telling my mom (I was 42 or 43 when I told her) was the hardest.

If you choose to stay with your current doctor, you could look around for an addiction counselor. I lucked out and fell in with a great guy right off the bat. He's a recovering heroin addict, 17 or so years clean and he knew when I was bullshitting him before I knew I was bullshitting him!! lol

Seriously, he was great. He was very patient with me and really helped me see how my addictive behaviors had permeated my life. Once I started understanding my enemy (my addiction), he then gave me tools to start fighting back (recovery).

If you dread a further reduction in your dose, then I'd say stick with your current dose. Tapering can be a difficult process, make sure you're ready when you taper further.

BTW, the hand is better, I took off the cast/splint the doctor put on and made my own with the left over parts. It's not the best ever, but at least I can somewhat type now!! :wink: