It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Change coming to Walmart
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wal-Mart has instituted a new policy that started this month. It might be awhile before patients notice or find out. All prescriptions for Buprenorphine products must now have a statement from the physician whether it is for pain or addiction. When they first called last week the pharmacist claimed it was to comply with the DEA. I snorted and said you must think I am an idiot. This is your corporate policy because someone has an ax to grind. She did fax the policy to me and it is an internal memorandum or policy. (I left it at the office and could probably scan and attach it to a post if anyone desires.)
I asked if they were doing this for other products that are used off label? Both pharmacists I spoke to were unaware. They did not have a response to my query 'what does the XM... (the bup waiver # from the DEA) imply? If I use my regular DEA and write 'for pain' on the Rx how is that not clear what my intent is? If a non physician provider (PA or NP) writes for buprenorphine it cannot be for addiction treatment and must be for pain. I think it is another way for them to embarrass or shame people.
I will be encouraging my patients to take their business elsewhere, and advised the pharmacists I would be doing so. 'MEH.' Was the Corporate drones response.
Rant over...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm 

As a Walmart pharmacy customer, i would be interested in this policy. If you would post it or PM this document I would be grateful.
I have a great relationship with the intire staff there. Two years in the makng. Techs and Phars. Early on I looked them in the eye and told them just how and why we take tnis med. I ll have problem questioning them about this also...thanks Docm....
Oh and guilt and shame, ? We live with enough of that from everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hate to say it, but this doesn't surprise me a bit. I have used Wal-Mart pharmacy for years, but never even attempted to fill bupe scripts there. Our small town Wally World has a reputation for being extremely judgmental and difficult to deal with. They usually won't approve refills over one day early, even when approved by insurance. I posted awhile back about a bullcrap excuse they gave me about refilling an ambien script. It might just be time for me to take my money elsewhere.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Not to long ago my prescriber was updating to the computer printed prescription. In the mean time
The prescription was hand written and took The Rx to the pharmacy. My provider was hand writing the
XM DEA number on the top of the prescription. The pharmacy would not fill the Rx due to the fact that
my provider forgot to write the XM number. I had to go back and get another hard copy.

The pharmacy told me it couldn't be filled without the XM number. The original DEA number was printed on the hard copy but The XM number was being added to the computer print out that's what it was.

Snake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Assuming that you had filled it there before they would have the XM # on file. It is a scheduled three medication so alternatively they could have just called the office. Unfortunately they are pulling your chain. I have had pharmacists that know me and their patients do both.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes I fill there. For several years it is/was my local pharmacy. I figured they were just being pricks.

Snake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't fill at WalMart, but how utterly disgusting and a complete invasion of privacy. I would gladly tell them to go F themselves if I ever got such an inappropriate question. I sincerely hope that they lose business if this is true. Absolutely ridiculous.

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll