It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So the self-glorifying misery starts again. The new season of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew premiered last night with a fresh batch of moldy stars nursing addictions and grudges.

A sullen Dennis Rodman was in denial, saying, “I’m way beyond this. I don’t need [treatment]. I’m here because of court, simple as that.”

Mackenzie Phillips said, “I sort of pioneered that ‘teen star gone wrong on drugs’ thing.” She and former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr, another newbie to the show, had no idea who another patient, country-music star Mindy McCready, was. McCready arrived with lots of painkillers in her bag, confiscated by the show’s long-suffering Shelly.

“I’m Heidi Fleiss and I was the greatest madam that ever lived,” said Fleiss. “Every woman’s a hooker to me. Someone calls me a whore, it’s a compliment.” Well, it shouldn’t be difficult to come up with group therapy topics for her. Fleiss asked Shelly whether this was “real rehab, not pretend-rehab.” Shelly assured it was real.

But is it? That’s always the question with this show. Lionized recently by The New York Times, Dr. Drew Pinksy hosts with his usual serene calm, and isn’t afraid to reveal his own ego. He began the premiere with a voiceover that said these recovery attempts have “changed me forever.” Not necessarily the patients: him.

This whole first episode was a bit of a tease, because the arguably most volatile personality, Tom Sizemore doesn’t arrive until the next edition. It’s all set up to lure more viewers into watching the interaction between Sizemore and former lover Fleiss, who has accused the star of Heat of beating her, among other things.

Is putting these two in the same rehab program going to help either of them? Or is this the most blatant evidence of what a cynical show Celebrity Rehab is?

[align=center]Image[/align]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mitch, that is a very informative link! Thanks. We have another thread going on this subject maybe I'll join them together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

jamez70 wrote:
We have another thread going on this subject maybe I'll join them together.

Works for me James, I just didn't want to go off topic (hijack) on your thread. I was focusing more on the entire show/cast. I'm still getting a feel for how you guys organize everything around here.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mitch,

You have a very well done post by the way.. You figured out html attachments and pictures as well. Good job.

Do you have a lot of experience with phpBB? Maybe if you have any suggestions I'd be open to them about improving things even more.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jim, Ive got a little admin time with vBulletin, I moderated at a couple of good sized forums a few years back. I would say you guys have this forum dialed in pretty good. I also see a lot of very cool features (flash, video, RM, Google video, Youtube, font edits, color etc. but no one uses them (do they all work?) and a pretty slick animated avatar selection. phpBBâ„¢ is a solid platform, the user traffic is light here so I cant imagine too many problems.