It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I made, and wish to share, this little collage that focuses on, and celebrates, the special bond between my two rescued Eastern Gray squirrels, Hermione and Ginny. Caring for them has helped me with my recovery in more ways than I can truly express. Knowing that I have these little lives depending on me helps me to put my own life into perspective and realize that in order to care for them I must make sure I take care of myself. As I've mentioned in the thread about their story, a little over a year ago they each came to live with me due to different, yet similar situations which essentially orphaned each three weeks apart.

Hermione, the older one, immediately took to the little one, whom we dubbed Ginny in keeping with the Rowling theme, and became extremely protective of her. Ginny, for her part, began following her new big sister around and curling up with her at night or during afternoon naptimes. Considering all I've read on the difficulty of successfully introducing younger squirrels to eyes-opened-already older squirrels I'm still quite amazed that there was never any territory disputes when I put the younger one into the older one's cage, and that the next thing I saw was the two of them sleeping cuddled against each other and then, later on, Hermione busily grooming the little one.

They are still very much a bonded pair and sleep together in a pouch hanging from the ceiling of their cage. Those they get into small little tussles when one won't move over or tries to steal food from another, but, they aren't serious and they'll be playing, eating or sleeping together later the same day. Ginny is very much the boss between the two and Hermione is too docile to complain much other than a frustrated squeak now and then if Ginny's antics get on her nerves too much. I don't like to laugh, but, hearing and seeing the squeak of a frustrated squirrel is too funny for words. You can almost hear her saying, "Ugh! Omg, Ginny! Knock it off!" Lol!

One of the pictures in this collage shows little Ginny, about a week after she arrived, bopping poor Hermione on the head and I think this was our first warning that Ginny's gonna be wearing the proverbial pants in that relationship. Lol!

The other pictures are ones that were taken yesterday and this afternoon. Hermione on the back of a chair looking cute and Ginny watching the neighbor's dogs and chickens after which she ran back to their cage like, "Wow! Scary out there!" She likes to cat-nap, (squirrel-nap?), on the shelf by the window with her chin against the window blinds' slate. Her other favorite napping places are on top of the cage roof, on the back of an armchair and on top of dining room table, (which we don't use to eat at, only to fold laundry, do art projects, etc).

Attachments:
File comment: Hermione and Ginny, Sisters Forever Collage.
Hermione&GinnySisters.jpg
Hermione&GinnySisters.jpg [ 210.56 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]
File comment: Hermione looking cute resting on a chair.
WIN_20141007_183258.JPG
WIN_20141007_183258.JPG [ 113.16 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]
File comment: Ginny looking out the window.
WIN_20141008_173849.JPG
WIN_20141008_173849.JPG [ 125.54 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:35 pm 

Way too cute. My wife will love these pictures as we used to have several come down and take nuts out of her hand. They would even jump up on a planter to look in the window to let her know they want food. I was always afraid she'd get bit, but she didn't.

Very cute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

rule62 wrote:
Way too cute. My wife will love these pictures as we used to have several come down and take nuts out of her hand. They would even jump up on a planter to look in the window to let her know they want food. I was always afraid she'd get bit, but she didn't.

Very cute!

Thank you! They are a pretty non-confrontational species as a whole. The only time I've been semi-seriously bitten was all my own fault for trying to take away a Hershey's kiss Hermione got ahold of, and, the other times I've been bitten were play-bites like they tend to do as they play much like kittens and puppies do with wrestling, pouncing and play-biting, and a few times Ginny's squeezed my hand with her teeth in warming when I've done something she didn't like such as wanting to clean their cage out. Lol. Squirrels are very far-sighted so if your wife were ever bitten while hand-feeding wilds it'd probably be because they would have mistook her finger for food. I had a wild one do that to me once, nip my thumb thinking it was the peanut but she realized right away and no blood was shed.

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I love your pics of your little girls! Pets are an awesome thing, they can turn a crappy day right around and make you feel so much better. Thanks for sharing your pictures. My kids also enjoy them, they're adorable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

lizzieshug2013 wrote:
I love your pics of your little girls! Pets are an awesome thing, they can turn a crappy day right around and make you feel so much better. Thanks for sharing your pictures. My kids also enjoy them, they're adorable!

Aww, thank you, Lizzie! It's so true about pets. They can read our emotions better than most humans and are often used as emotional therapy service animals. In fact, I read about a program that uses a pet white rat as therapy animals in nursing homes. They make sure everyone is comfortable around her and even the skittish ones warm up to her as they get to know her and how cute and lovable she is. It's also true that those with pets or access to animals have less health problems like blood pressure issues, etc. My most successful recovery coping and relapse prevention method is caring for my animals and reminding myself that if I "go south" there'll be no one else who can take care of them so they keep me going on the straight and narrow. And the rewards of it outweigh the compromises and sacrifices I've had to make for them. It's a good thing they keep me home and busy rather than bored and out there drug-seeking. I'm glad your kids liked their pictures, too. Nothing is cuter than a cuddled up little critter. ^__^