It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Ceiling??
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm pretty new to suboxone. My Dr started me at 8mg 2 x's a day. I find myself still craving esp in the evenings. I have an appt. tomorrow and I'm of course going to be honest with my Dr but not all Dr's know what's best. I trust the people here on this site to give the best advise bent that everyone one on here is and has been on subs for a while. Thank you everyone for your input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Gennay,

After reading your other post it seems that you have only been in treatment about a week. I would give yourself a few more weeks to get adjusted completely to the suboxone. The cravings at this point are mental, you should be well above the ceiling at 16mgs per day. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher.

At this point you are still having the urge to use out of habit. I know that doesn't make it better, but it does get easier. Try to stay positive and focus on the good things that are coming out of your treatment. I know some people say that suboxone takes away all their cravings, but it didn't for me. It takes a little while to break that cycle of addictive thinking, just stick with it and stay strong. It is worth it! And, it's good practice for when you will eventually taper off the suboxone. Dealing with the cravings now will prepare you for when you don't have that little security net.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ya know. I have nothing against anyone specifically, but I'm just really sick and tired of this whole frame of mind or pushed idea that you HAVE to get off suboxone at some point or you're lesser or screwed because you become empty inside due to side effects. Or better yet feeling "sorry" for someone because they chose to go back to suboxone. This medicine is great. Some have their problems with it and some don't... And some just have problems in general but blame suboxone... Not that it can't cause them though.

It's okay to be on or stay on suboxone. Worry about living rather than when you'll be off of it and all of that business when you first start. No matter if you take it for a week, month, year, decade... It's NOT a bad thing. You guys can preach all day that "It isn't good to take a medicine everyday to feel normal" or "your just dependent on suboxone now".... I'm not going to go as far to say that it's like insulin for a diabetic... Because it's not. It IS a narcotic and I give you that one... But it doesn't make you any less of a person because you choose to stay on it. I just say this because whether any of you out there that preach the dangers, horrors, problems, Ect of suboxone... It effects addicts all the time. They read this stuff just starting out trying to find answers through others experience. It's no excuse to say that you only said what you did because you were coming off of suboxone. I know of many people... Personally... That stopped suboxone after being told how they weren't clean, the withdrawal will ruin them, sub ruins lives, Ect. Some may be true, but don't need to be the only topic these days..... Several addicts from my area NA stopped sub for the above reasons and died from overdose, relapsed and still use,.... REALLY ruined lives. Addicts get clean and then magically become masters of living properly and can even tell others what's best for them.

So. Don't post it as a GIVEN that patients have to get off suboxone at some point, that suboxone is just the absolute worst decision an addict could make, all super wrong or negative things as gospel. Sheesh.

I know I'm wrong about a lot and I'm not perfect at all but... This has got to change.

Thus forum has really done a 180 lately thanks to crappy posts influencing more and more people.

Anyone that says" this is what the forum is for... " read old posts from Dr. J.

Not how it was intended to be...
That's why the guy who made this forum doesn't even want to post anymore.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MovieMaker1,

Were you referring to what I said above? I didn't mean to insinuate that this person has to quit taking suboxone at some point...maybe I should have worded it differently. It is my understanding that most doctors, at least in my area, are using suboxone mostly as a tool to get completely off all opiates. So, assuming that this person's doctor would try to taper them at some point isn't much of a stretch. Anyone that can't do that or chooses to stay on it long term is well within their rights to do so, and I've never said anyone that is on it long term isn't clean. Nor have I ever given any reason for anyone to believe that I think negatively of anyone who does stay on it long term.

I stand by my statement that it is easier to get off of suboxone if you keep your dose to a minimum...I don't think saying that is at all controversial. I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers again. But I really don't believe I have EVER pushed the idea that anyone has to get off suboxone or even that they are putting themselves in any kind of danger by taking it long term. I agree with you that alot of people tend to blame all their problems on suboxone, I don't like it any more than you do and I think it's a bit delusional most of the time. I don't want to get into a back and forth with you here, but I felt as if I had to defend myself a bit after what you said above. I think you are way off base here. And if you ask me, I think you need to find some new material...your messages are getting pretty predictable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

gennay----
suboxone is kind of difficult to understand,,,, HOW it works, I mean....

I'm going to post a couple videos for you,, and they REALLY HELPED me understand, HOW it works,

here's the first one,, about the "ceiling" since that's what you titled the thread......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqjJGoSQgc[/youtube]

Here's one, that REALLY goes into a bit of detail,,,, "how suboxone works, part one"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls1F6vNhYw[/youtube]

and last but NOT LEAST,,,, "suboxone, a drug for a drug"
I really like this one,,, As I'm on maintenance, and really I'm in NO HURRY going OFF suboxone,,, and I"m OKAY with that...
the decision to go on suboxone, in the first place, should never be taken "lightly" becuase,
it really has it's pros and cons..... but if addiction took you anywhere CLOSE to where I ended up, when I found suboxone,,,,, well then it's perfectly understandable.... IN my opinion, that is.....

anyways,,,, he's got more videos, I'll leave a link at the bottom, to the page displaying all of them...
Hope this helps, at least a little...
and GOOD LUCK

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE0FLHpru8U[/youtube]

"browse videos"

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuboxDoc/videos?view=0

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BECAUSE NOTHING EVER CHANGE!

THIS FORUM IS TURNING INTO THEN EXACT THING IT WAS CREATED TO AVOID!

Go ahead and keep telling people getting off is a good idea and cheer them through wds.

Just pissing in the freaking wind...

Nothing has to do with you directly horsegal.

Just overall vibes and crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gennay,

If you don't mind me asking, what was your habit like pre-sub? 16 should be holding you fairly well but if your habit was considerable, you may just need some time to adjust to being on suboxone and let it build up in your system.. Amber posted some good info. How are you doing?

MM,

Aside from the occasional troll or random angry member, 99% of the members here are supportive and helpful to whatever question or situation needs addressing. What most of us are NOT doing, is trying to control how other members utilize suboxone treatment. That's something that everyone needs to decide for themselves. If the next poster wants to do suboxone for a day to try and get off of H.. that's their choice and nothing I/ we say can make a difference. I'll offer support and hope they find a way that works for them. Most of this is trial and error and most of us have to go through a series of events to realize what we need. You can't force anyone to do anything, so the next best thing is some friendly support, which is usually seriously lacking in most addict's lives. On the other hand, if someone has realized suboxone has saved their life and wants to stay on it indefinitely... great! Again, in that situation, I'll offer some friendly support. What is it that you want from everyone? Chill.