It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Ceiling effect
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey guys and girls I have been on suboxone for just over a month I was on 2 a day till yesterday when I told the doctor that I would still get cravings. The cravings were not major and I told him that I have not relapsed. Most of the cravings are from
When I get stressed out at work and the addict in me still thinks in my mind that drugs will make it better. Now don't get me wrong I don't really believe that but that's just how my mind thinks when I have delt with my problems since I was 14 with alcohol or weed cocaine and of course oxycodone. Any way my question is my doc has put me on 3 a day. Does anyone think that it will make a difference or is it w waste because of the ceiling effect? Thanks alot to everyone here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think regardless of the ceiling effect, there are some people who just do better at a higher dose. In theory your cravings would be addressed just as well at 16 mg as they would be at 24mg. But you've only been on suboxone a short time. Cut yourself some slack and do what you need. It's not unusual to be at a higher dose early in treatment.

But keep in mind that suboxone only addresses what I call the "physiological" cravings. I believe what remains are "psychological" cravings, and of course triggers. Those we are left to deal with. And we have to find new, healthy coping skills to use when stressors hit.

Some people believe suboxone is only one tool in one's recovery. Other people believe that suboxone is enough - we're in remission so we can get on with our lives. I personally think that just depends on the person and how they deal with stressors and everyday anxiety. If you're accustomed to medicating yourself (which is sounds like you are), then it's time to adjust your responses to such stressors and learn some of those new coping skills. Good luck. I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Hatmaker
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hatmaker I have to say I agree 100% with you. And you r right a need to find better ways to help deal with triggers and stressful situations cause like u said I have been self meditating and avoiding dealing with underlying conditions. These will be addressed with my addiction counselor and I thank you for your time!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sphinx, good to hear from you again.

I understand addiction to be a brain disorder, so I'm going to say that the cravings you're feeling are mostly due to psychological issues. If you don't address your cravings from a psychological point of view I'm afraid your chances of relapse would be higher.

In my case it was imperative that I sought professional help, ie. my addiction counselor. He helped me identify errors in my thinking that I wasn't even aware of. I was making the same decisions day in and day out expecting a different result? I believe that is a trick the addicted brain plays on us all. It hides things from us, if that could possibly make any sense.

Like you, I started smoking weed, hash, dropping acid and eating shrooms early (17 years old), graduated to blow and crack at 25 then at 29 I broke my ankles and graduated to pain meds. I had been high for WAY more of my life than sober and I just didn't know how to act. Counselling goes a long way to getting you right, but you have to work at it. I'm glad to hear you're going to see a counselor, that's a smart move.

Post subject: agree
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been here since August. How many her have told me over & over to seek counseling. I am 68 rs old & never had counseling

Well, I made the appts. kept 2 but relapsed 3 days ago.
I'm back on track but I have to watch those triggers & do counseling. a lot!!

Keep up the good work

Love queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yea I have been in treatment for 5 weeks now and I have seen my counselor 5 times and also a mental health I have a dual diagnosis but all 3 of us agree that I need to treat the addiction first then work on other issues. But right now everything is pretty good and today I am 5 weeks clean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ive been on suboxone for 4 year and Ceiling effect is still a big mystery to me at times. FOr ex i suppost to take 16mgs a day 24 if needed. any ways on really bad days when my knee pain level is high i take 24 and i def can notice a difference as in how much 24 mgs works for my pain. meaning i dont understand how some people think its a waste?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy, the reason that you feel the pain relief is because the analgesic properties of Suboxone do not last nearly as long as the addiction or withdrawal abatement properties do. The pain killing properties of Suboxone only last about six to perhaps eight hours. This is not unlike methadone which works the same way. Both of these medications have a long half life and will stay in the body and keep you out of withdrawals for a long time - several days. However, they both will only provide pain relief for a fraction of the time that they are in the body. So we almost need two separate dosing protocols and daily maximum doses - one for addiction and one for pain relief. People who are only on Suboxone for addiction should only dose once per day and not need any more than 16 mg per day. People who use Suboxone for both addiction and for pain control often need to dose every six or eight hours at a daily maximum of up to 32 mg.

I hope that sheds a little more light on this topic for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh wrote:
Bboy, the reason that you feel the pain relief is because the analgesic properties of Suboxone do not last nearly as long as the addiction or withdrawal abatement properties do. The pain killing properties of Suboxone only last about six to perhaps eight hours. This is not unlike methadone which works the same way. Both of these medications have a long half life and will stay in the body and keep you out of withdrawals for a long time - several days. However, they both will only provide pain relief for a fraction of the time that they are in the body. So we almost need two separate dosing protocols and daily maximum doses - one for addiction and one for pain relief. People who are only on Suboxone for addiction should only dose once per day and not need any more than 16 mg per day. People who use Suboxone for both addiction and for pain control often need to dose every six or eight hours at a daily maximum of up to 32 mg.

I hope that sheds a little more light on this topic for you.

Hey thanks man that makes sense for sure. Yea im on it for both pain and addiction i take my full 16mgs in the morning then usually take a extra 2mgs after dinner. but if my pain is real bad then ill take a full 8 after dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:07 pm 
I dont agree fully that people who are on it for addiction only should only take it once per day they should use it which ever way works best. I take it twice a day, I have tried once a day and it just doesnt work as well, two times seems to work more effectively for me. I know it should be once a day to not revert to old addict behavior blah blah blah but I dont feel like Im using addict behavior doing so. I take the same dose either way I just find taking half in the morning and half at night better for me. If I take the whole 4mgs all at once in the morning by night time I have lots of trouble sleeping. I usualy dose 2mgs at noon and 2mgs at around 6pm and it works great for me.