It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: carrie fisher
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:05 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I'm sorry your mom was a mean old biddy, Godfrey! My mom wasn't perfect, but she was all about unconditional love like Jenn's. My mom died of a pulmonary embolism 14 years ago when she was 59. Then my dad, who had been cruel to her about her weight my whole life, went crazy with dating. He had 3 fiancés in three years, including a Ukrainian woman he had met on a website. Between grieving my mom's death and my dad acting like a crazy person who didn't care what his daughters thought or felt, I became addicted to pain meds.

Losing Mom was the worst thing that had happened to me for sure. I wish other people who had yucky moms had been able to experience the love of my mom.

Amy

my parents divorcing after what I thought was a perfect marriage of 31 years is what sent me off the deep end so to say as far as my addiction went. my dad soon remarried, a woman 24 years his junior, only 4 years older than me! my mom remarried a man 15 years younger than her. they are both divorced again. i had a very good upbringing. i've been told that I give such good and genuine hugs that it was obvious that I was loved. no one in my family knows that I have struggled with addiction!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:11 pm 

jennjenn wrote:
Amy ur not gonna believe this but my son, he was in 6th grade and was being bullied at school (bless his heart it kills me to even think about that) and he had a really really rough time, which totally changed his outlook on going to school. We tried going to the principal, teachers and nothing helped. Come to find out, his best friend, who was also a neighbor of an extremely poor family, was going to all these kids at school and manipulating them turning everyone against him. I don't know if it was jealousy or just plain evil. I used to send this kid food home to eat because he had nothing. His mom and dad were addicts too and he was just left to fend for himself and my family helped him.

My son wasn't clinically depressed but was having a horrible time. So me and my mother (keep in mind I was using at that time too and living with my mother) decided to pay for online homeschooling and got him into counseling. He was put on Zoloft, still is to this day. So he wasn't motivated to be the best and it was a struggle.

He's almost 19 now and going to community college for now. One of his talents though is computers. He's absolutely wonderful at computers. He had a really hard time during those years. Kids can be really cruel!!

Sorry Jenn! I lost a couple of days while my dad was here for Jacob's science competition. I felt like I had to be available to my dad and not on my computer because he was only here from Thursday night to last night.

I'm so glad that you were able to get your son the right kind of help and that he turned it around! That is wonderful! Sounds like he is doing so well! If he knows computers he will be set!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:43 pm 

SisterMorphine wrote:
I'm sorry your mom was a mean old biddy, Godfrey! My mom wasn't perfect, but she was all about unconditional love like Jenn's. My mom died of a pulmonary embolism 14 years ago when she was 59. Then my dad, who had been cruel to her about her weight my whole life, went crazy with dating. He had 3 fiancés in three years, including a Ukrainian woman he had met on a website. Between grieving my mom's death and my dad acting like a crazy person who didn't care what his daughters thought or felt, I became addicted to pain meds.

Losing Mom was the worst thing that had happened to me for sure. I wish other people who had yucky moms had been able to experience the love of my mom.

Amy

my parents divorcing after what I thought was a perfect marriage of 31 years is what sent me off the deep end so to say as far as my addiction went. my dad soon remarried, a woman 24 years his junior, only 4 years older than me! my mom remarried a man 15 years younger than her. they are both divorced again. i had a very good upbringing. i've been told that I give such good and genuine hugs that it was obvious that I was loved. no one in my family knows that I have struggled with addiction!

Sister Morphine, I have so much empathy for you. I know how much it hurts when your family foundation crumbles and your parents make stupid, hurtful decisions because of what my dad did after my mom died. Mom's death was so sudden that it was like someone had pulled the rug out from under my world. I hope that you can recapture what family means to you in your adult life with a family of your own making, whatever that looks like.

Peace,
Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:57 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Sister Morphine, I have so much empathy for you. I know how much it hurts when your family foundation crumbles and your parents make stupid, hurtful decisions because of what my dad did after my mom died. Mom's death was so sudden that it was like someone had pulled the rug out from under my world. I hope that you can recapture what family means to you in your adult life with a family of your own making, whatever that looks like.

Peace,
Amy

thanks amy! my husband didn't have a very good childhood and it was a real slap in the face when my parents divorced since we were both looking to them as role models for our own marriage! also, 11 days before i met my husband, i lost the first love of my life to a car accident. so i also have tons of anxiety and guilt out the whazoo! so i can def relate to having the rug pulled out from under my world, too! AND i didn't realize any of this till i HAD to go to counseling!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 pm 

I had counseling with an addiction therapist when I was first in recovery for a few months. I was pretty self-aware of what my problems were, but one thing I figured out in the last two years is that when my son was diagnosed with depression at 8 and was yelling at me and crying at me every day that everything that was wrong was my fault, it really hurt me more than I understood at the time. I didn't blame him for it and I never had, but it hurt me so much that I started feeling that I deserved to take a pill and feel good. You will probably realize things for years, but it is a little different for those of us who didn't face addiction until later in life. By later I mean past the early 20s. I lost my mom when I was 31 and I was 35 when my son was going through depression. I'm definitely not saying it's harder when you're older, because I actually think it's harder to go through this as a teenager and on into the early 20s. But it is different. I think that access pain meds has caused a lot of older people to become addicted. I never thought it would be me.

Amy