It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have severe problems urinating on Suboxone. Today i have not urinated for 14 hours, it feels like i just cant go and its very uncomftorable. Other days it just takes like a minute before i can go, some days it feels like i have to go all day. Today is the worst it has ever been, i dont know what to do. Also for me to urinate sometimes people in the house have to go in there rooms for me to go. Its a combo of the Subs making it hard, and something mentaly. IDK what to do, any help would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think you really need to talk to your doctor about this. If the bladder gets too full it can be an emergency.

Maybe try taking a warm bath or shower and see if you can urinate in there.

Also, some people feel the urge to urinate and cant when they have a urinary tract infection.

If you cant go soon you may want to go to the Emergency Department or Walk in clinic depending on the time.

What dose of sub are you on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

I've never had this problem from suboxone, but I did experience delays when I was on other opiates. For me, however, it was only ever momentary. I agree with Orange Doll that if you haven't been able to go all day then perhaps it's time to get it checked out. I wish you luck in getting through this.

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is exactly what happened to my partner. He started last summer (2012) and had immediate severe side-effects from the Suboxone films (edema in his legs, strain on his heart, etc.) At least at that time there were still tablets that h could be switched over to-these eliminated those side effects.

Since them the manufacturer has ceased production of the films because they have gone generic and they can charge three times more for the films. There is a phone number to call and let them know that the films are dangerously problematic. However, they don't actually do anything with that negative information. They are are a drug company after all: so it's profit before people. They even tried a nasty trick to get the FDA to actually ban the tablets-so that no one could make them and generics would never be available. All in a day's work for "Big Pharma" unfortunately.

But for once the FDA actually served the people and rejected this devious ploy. Still generic tablets are difficult to find, but it's apparently getting easier.

It's been a year and my partner still has serious problems urinating-dedicating is beyond serious: almost impossible on Suboxone. These symptoms, too have been reported to the manufacturer, but they're ignoring it as they do with every concern or unhealthy outcome experienced by patients taking their products.

I plan to start using it as well, because I developed a dependency after being prescribed Hydrocodone, OxyContin and finally Tramadol for about seven years. I am very concerned about the horrendous constipation I have seen him go through-at times we thought he'd have to go to the ER-and the constant problems urination, not to mention the perilous edema that occurs from taking the films.

I'm of two minds. I feel I need the Suboxone. But, I wonder if the cure isn't worse than the disease. I know too much to even hop that the Big Pharma manufacturer cares about these issues. I'm sure they have their hundreds of million of dollars set aside to pay off the inevitable lawsuits. If only there were an ethical drug company-just one! But, we all know, there isn't, and that doesn't make them any less a "necessary evil."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:11 pm 

I don't mean to dispute what you're saying, but where did you hear that the manufacturer of the films has stopped manufacturing them?

I still use the films. It would be a bit of a rude shock if I went to the pharmacy next months and couldn't get any. :)

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've had this problem while taking suboxone and other opiates as well.

What you need to do to lessen this side effect is to drop your dose if you can. Also make sure you drink plenty of water then when you go to the bathroom lean forward because it helps the bladder to drain. Also you can take midol (woman's period medication) it has a diuretic in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

akklocek,

What you're describing sounds extremely serious and not a matter to put on hold. Even if you were deprived of water for a long period of time, 14 hours is so incredibly unhealthy that you may have some serious deficiency with your bladder or intestine. Suboxone may have contributed to the issue in the beginning but developed into something more serious.

I experience urinary hesitance which seems common with opiates judging by the other poster's feedback. I think that some of the problem may be just in my head mentally but nonetheless is a problem. Its actually pretty dang embarrassing. I've wanted to check it out to see if there is a bigger problem than just a temporary opiate side-effect but needles terrify me. With all the drugs I've done, I could have permanently damaged something. I don't know your past but it is likely that suboxone isn't acting alone.

The only thing I would recommend is to see a doctor ASAP and get some sort of blood work done or whatever it is that tests your liver functions. Also I don’t know whether it is a good idea to drink plenty of water or if that would make the problem worse. If it is okay then you may want to get some pure cranberry juice to drink in between now and when you see a doctor. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can go but sometimes it takes awhile. I agree with the other posters. It sounds like something more serious may be hapenning with you. I would make a dr. Appointment asap. Oh and I have also experienced slight edema in my lower legs. It goes away and then comes back. I have read that it is a potential side effect of the subs. Amy I take the films as well.

the High Road
If they really are on the High Road, they will offer to take

everyone else with them, not simply tell others that they

are going the wrong way.

Post subject: FYI
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:38 pm 

The original post goes back to Feb so I wouldn't worry about him/her. The OP also has about 7 other identities on here so don't put too much thought into trying to answer.

Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Rule. I've got to become better about checking when a post was published. Although it does help to know I'm not the only one who experiences some difficulties when urinating. It must be a side effect of suboxone.

Post subject: Urinating
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:12 pm 

I wonder if most all the people who have difficulty urinating after taking Suboxone are over 40 years old and male? Just wondering if it's a prostate thing instead. I mean, why would an opiate do something like that? Unless it's the naloxone in it. Then that makes me wonder if it would still be happening if we all were taking Subutex.

Considering there hasn't been too many studies completed about long term Suboxone use we won't know for sure until then. Maybe...

Being over 50, I too have trouble peeing. I blame age, not Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rule,

I just wanted to give my experience with this issue since you asked. I had a mild version of this problem when I first started Suboxone, it only lasted the first couple months and was really only mildly annoying, not serious. However, I had the same side effect when I was on extremely high doses of other opiates, so maybe it's just something that only effects some of us. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like tramadol was the one that caused me the most trouble with this. But I was taking somewhere around 15-20 of those little SOB's a day when I would have a dry spell with my DOC. No problems with that in a LONG time now though! Just like with any side effects I felt when I first started suboxone, they went away pretty much as soon as I got adjusted to a regular dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am a 27 yr old female. It happens mildly to me. I think it's more not being able to fully drain my bladder. It always happened when I took high doses of morphine as well, but never happened when I took high doses of oxycodone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm in my early twenties and i experience it mildly, nothing even close to what the original poster described but nonetheless it is extremely frustrating and a problem. I don't blame it on suboxone but I don't think I'd have the problem if i never abused drugs like i did. I do remember the symptoms starting 6 months or so after abusing oxycodone.

Its still prevalent in people who don't abuse drugs but rather naturally, especially in older people as the bodies functions get worse, so it is hard to determine what causes it. The drugs could only make it worse because of the effect it has on your liver and kidney so I get the feeling that's the reason. Sometimes I wonder how much of it is mental. Anyone else get this thought?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone wrecked havoc on my urinary functions. It ruined y life to the point I had a cystoscopey because things got so bad. To those who don't know what a cystoscopey is its when u have a camera inserted in your uretha and pushed far down your shit. It was the most painfull thing I've ever expirenced in my life. All to find out nothing was wrong it was the suboxone causing the problem. I remember not sleeping for five days because I felt like I had to go to the bathroom 24 hours a day. I ended up on a serious tranquilizer just so I can go to sleep every night. After stopping suboxone and it was completely out of my system I never had the problem again. A big part of this is mental too once you convince yourself there is a serious problem you obsess on it every day to the point were your brain starts to make your body do it. What really help me was staying busy and not letting it ruin my day and once in a while my sub Dr would write me a five day supply of Valium when things got real bad.

Post subject: Re: Urinating
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rule62 wrote:
I wonder if most all the people who have difficulty urinating after taking Suboxone are over 40 years old and male? Just wondering if it's a prostate thing instead. I mean, why would an opiate do something like that?

I just wanted to share that I'm in my 30s, female, and have severe urinary retention on all opiates. The reasons for this are two-fold:

a) They potentiate the anticholinergic property of my migraine medication.
b) I have an as-of-yet unspecified disorder of the digestive tract which causes me to lose large amounts of water along with my stool, and even though I may drink up to a gallon a day to replace what's lost, I still have lower urine volume when voiding than average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BTW, all opiates cause a modest amount of urinary retention, depending on the patient, due to the histamine reaction. This is also why when you get off them, sleeping becomes so difficult and it seems like you pee buckets, especially at night. While I imagine the symptoms would be more pronounced in older males with prostate enlargement, my husband, who is in his 30s as well, has experienced this too, and has no enlargement issues or hormonal changes.

Post subject: See?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:26 am 

You learn something new everyday. I was expecting women to post they too had the problem. Don't ya just love it when you learn more and more about Suboxone? This site has taught me quite a bit over the years.

Now to the important stuff. Please call or go onto the FDA website to report the side effects of this medication. If it isn't reported they won't look into it.

R62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You are definitely not alone here. I have the same issue though as I've been getting used to my dose it has lessened. My advice is to sit down, it really seems to help me, though if you are a woman I suppose you already are lol. I also have immense trouble reaching ejaculations. Then, when not on Suboxone I have premature ejaculations (I assume because I go from no sensitivity to normal.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a very similar problem urinating.... I have been on Sub for 9 years (and some form of opiates for over a decade now).
Opiates by nature cause some difficulty urinating but mine has gotten worse and worse over the years.
I have now reached the point that it is almost impossible for me to urinate in public. I even have a hard time starting to urinate when at home. On average, it takes me anywhere from 1 minute to up to 30-45 minutes to be able to relax my muscles enough to start urinating.
Once I start going, I usually don't have any problems. It is starting to urinate that causes problems. It used to only really happen in public or while trying to go at a friends house. It has progressed to the point where I haven't been able to walk up to any toilet and just go without any hesitation in over a year or more. I mean, there is the very scarce occasion where I only hesitate for like 30 seconds but most of the time it takes me about 5 minutes to go. And like I said, there are many days where once or twice during that day it will take me 30 minutes to be able to "release". It will feel like I am going to go, then it feels like all my muscles kind of clench up or something & I am unable to start going....
Because it seems to be most difficult in public (to the point that I don't even try anymore unless I absolutely have no choice & when in public it always seems to take me a good 20+ minutes if I am even able to go at all), I kind of have always just thought that it was more in my head than anything physically wrong. I self-diagnosed myself as probably having paruresis.

After dealing with this for years, I FINALLY bit the bullet and am going to see primary care physician about this problem. I am very scared of what they are going to find (as well as being very scared they are going to have to stick something up my pee hole (I am male btw)).
Praying it is nothing serious! And something that can be fixed as well....
Very embarrassing to even talk about this.

UPDATE: Hey all. I forgot I even wrote this post, but felt kind of obligated to update it. I did see a doctor. He didn't find anything really. But wants me to see a urologist. He also said that he thinks that this could be caused by the BENZOS I was prescribed for many years. So he gave me a script for phenobarbital so I could go cold turkey off the benzo. Tomorrow will be 30 days since I stopped the benzos and ill tell you guys - these f-ing benzos were causing a Whole Lot of problems. I didn't even realize. I just blamed it all on the Sub!
If any of you are prescribed benzos and Sub, I would Highly recommend getting off the benzos! They're way more trouble than they're worth.
I am also down under 2mgs of Sub per day and working to taper down to Zero!

Last edited by StuckOnSub on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.