It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I recently had a baby 2 1/2 months ago while taking subutex the entire time. I began taking in the beginning of my pregnancy for the first time. I am 26 and this was my secong child. Before getting pregnant i weighed 130. I gained 60 pounds with my first pregnancy as well but lost it very quickly and easily (not on meds that time). Now since i had this baby (healthy with no w/d at all by the way) i have been dieting (tracking all my calories) and exercising 7 days a week ( 30 mincardio 30 min strength) i have been doing this religiously for about 5 weeks not and only lost 2 pounds. It seemed like when i started my suboxone again around 3 weeks after giving birth is when i stopped losing the weight. I know the docs say it does not affect your endocrine system but then why in the warning section for suboxone does it say do not take if you have a hypothyroid.? Wouldnt that mean that is does some how affect your metabolism? If not what is the explanantion of me having such a hard time losing this weight when i never did before. Please help it is very depressing and being over weight as shallow as it may sound is a HUGE trigger for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are some people who seem to think that suboxone caused them to gain weight or was a factor in them trying to lose weight. But keep in mind there are others who have lost weight on it. I do know a couple of people who had hypothyroidism and had to have their meds changed (upped) when they went on suboxone. Perhaps it's time to see your doctor and get your thyroid levels checked via a blood test?

There's another explanation that you probably don't want to hear. When you had your first baby you were younger and had an easier time getting that baby weight off. It is possible that because you're older now (not old, just older) it's just natural for the weight to stick around longer. In other word, I know women who had more trouble taking their baby weight off with each successive baby. I feel like I'm not explaining this well - hopefully you get the general idea.

Good luck and if it were me I'd at least rule out hypothyroidism first. Oh - and congrats on the baby!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, and congratulations. Sorry about the weight thing. It's tough after you have the baby and then you are just left feeling flabby. I've heard lots of stories claiming Sub causes weight loss and others saying it causes weight gain. Personally, I'm always very consistent, weight-wise, so Sub didn't cause any changes.

I have three kids and my last pregnancy was on Sub, both during and after. I did have a harder time losing the weight, but I also didn't try very hard or care all that much. I gained between 17-30 lbs with each pregnancy. I lost it in six weeks when I was 20, 5 months at 24, and a whole year at 28. It absolutely gets harder as you get older.

One thing I'd mention, though, is that a friend of mine (not on Sub) who just couldn't lose weight no matter how hard she tried went to have her thyroid checked by a second doctor after the first one said she was okay. The second one said they had narrowed the range of 'normal' and she now fell into the low thyroid category. She started medication and lost the weight easily. Maybe you want to have that checked. If your body is just not acting like your body, maybe there's a medical reason behind it.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There is another explanation, you may not want to hear. When you have your first child, you are young, readily available, the baby weight off. This is possible because the older you are, it just will not stick around for the heavy nature.