It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on Suboxone for 129 days. After being addicted to pain meds for 3 years, I tried to quit smoking oxy's for 8 months hating myself the whole time and living in fear of withdrawal, I finally got myself into a program. I am down to 2mgs once a day, haven't slipped up, and am picking up the pieces of my life. It is working well for me.

Recently, I either got food poisoning or a virus (intestinal). A high-profile Herbalist/Nutritionist I work with suggested I take one or two dose of Activated Charcoal to help with the intestinal bug. She DOES NOT know I am on Suboxone, and disclosing it was not an option, as she is a coworker.

Everything I read says Activated Charcoal binds to drugs/toxins and removes them from your body (and that it can help with Withdrawal and Detox in addition to helping with GI symptoms). I have read it has been used in Opioid overdose, including Suboxone overdose.

So, does anyone know if I were to take a small dose of Activated Charcoal, would it bind to the buprenorphine and thrust me into violent withdrawal? Or just make the Suboxone not last as long? (and I can just take more when uncomfortable? Or will the Sub not work?) I'm not sure how this works, since Suboxone is sub-lingually absorbed. I can handle some mild discomfort, but the whole purpose of me being on maintenance is a VERY slow taper, which is working well for me. I have a LOT going on in my life, and would hate to put myself through more agony. I lived in fear of withdrawal the whole time I was on Oxy, and I don't want (or have time!) to go through unintended withdrawal.

I just want to be able to absorb food again! I've lost 10 lbs in 7 days, and it hasn't been pleasant.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
MK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought activated charcoal just absorbed what is in the stomach, not what's in the blood. But I'm no doctor or expert, so I could be way off. From what I've read, suboxone overdoses happen when benzos are involved, which would account for charcoal being used to soak up any pill remnants left in the stomach. Again though, I could be wrong. I hope you find the answers that you're seeking.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: No.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:25 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Activated charcoal is just that - a coal. It has a lot of surface area due to all the nooks and crannies of its grain, so it's good to use when something harmful is swollen and currently IS IN THE STOMACH. It's impossible to OD on suboxone by swallowing it - it won't be activated, stomach acid and liver enzymes will incinerate the sucker. The only way Sub can get into your system its THRU YOUR BLOOD, whether you inject it or dissolve it under the tongue (or snort it). Activated charcoal doesn't do a thing when the substance is already in a blood stream.
And it's almost impossible to lethally OD on subs even when taken directly. Even when injected. It would only make yo dizzy and nauseous and cold to your bones. And headached, don't forget the splitting headaches. But activated charcoal won't solve that problem. All you can do is take some Aspirin, some Pepto or Reglan and drink a lot of fluids.

People that dies from a sub overdose were ppl who took them with a lot of benzodiazepines, and they were also the ppl with no opiate tolerance and a very little if not any tolerance for benzos. You can take Subs even when drinking, but it will kill your buzz :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: No.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay MathAn, Thank you for your words. I've got some clarifications questions for you.

First off, I should have been clearer. In the google searches I found that said things about Suboxone OD they were all referring to children that got their hands on it and ate the whole bottle. Activated Charcoal could just be a precautionary measure, especially as it seems that many doctors are not proper educated about Suboxone. In Baltimore, there have been many newspaper articles written about the "problem with it on the street." It drives me nuts. It helps people NOT get sick, not get high for godssakes! (sorry, ranting...)

I realize Sub goes into the blood stream, but i found some recommendations for using AC the day after a Crystal Meth binge. Now, I did a LOT of that many years ago, and mostly snorted it. So... mucous membrane... that would go right to the bloodstream, too, right??? Of course people smoke it and use it IV, and we KNOW that's straight to the bloodstream! Here and there people parachute it... but it's mostly snorted, smoked, and IV. (The articles SPECIFICALLY said METHamphetamine, not just amphetamine... because then I would think perhaps it was adderall/dexedrine. ect...)

...but my thought was, well, if Activated Charcoal is good for Crystal, and that's not swallowed, would Suboxone fall into the same category??? Sublingual vs. Sniffing. Both mucous membranes, although I'm not entirely sure the absorption rate difference. Do you know?

I'm still not convinced either way. I think I'm going to call poison control. I'm getting a lot of different answers from the different feelers I've put out! My doctor said he wasn't sure, but not to take it "just in case". It's now been a WEEK i can't keep food inside. It REALLY SUCKS! Food is coming out the other end, but when I eat the pain isn't in my intestines, it's in my stomach. Feels like spasms. I was reccomended A.C. in case there is something microbial in my stomach or intestines, since it binds to stuff in the intestines, too.

I'm also aware of all the hype about taking sub with benzo's. You wouldn't have known that, though, so I appreciate that you make sure people are aware! From what I've researched a few months ago, it's only been 5 cases or something like that, they were all (or mostly?) IV, and mixed with benzo's, but the people were not known to be users with tolerances. The two don't even work synergistically. I'm glad they don't (kinda LOL)... cause otherwise I'd probably be like the people I know on methadone who take xanax all the time just to get a nod! My Sub Doc gives me Valium and he never once even brought that up. People I know in Sub Clinics all have docs that refuse.

Did you mean alcohol buzz? Cause I've never gotten a buzz off of subs except for when I've accidentally taken way over my dose then just feel a little speedy for maybe an hour (pre-prescription days). Certainly not worth doing it on purpose. It kills me when people without habits tell me they saw someone REALLY FUCKED UP on Subs. I'm like, "really? REALLY? Are you sure they aren't just HIGH and telling you its SUBS?" BUt then again, I've never taken Sub without a habit, so I'm not sure how it affects people without one. But my understanding is it's an opioid that doesn't have the pleasurable side effects of the others ones, and that's why it works so well for maintenance.

I'm pretty resourceful, I google everything... trained in Health Education, have done a lot of work with at-risk youth and IV drug users. When I was young and doing drugs, I researched most of them at the library first! (but wayyyy back then couldn't find much about Ketamine, this was pre-internet). I'm a "Resource Geek". I'm the person people call when they are trying to figure out directions/pill id's/STDs, ect... "So... it's rare I can't find anything about Activated Charcoal concurrent with Suboxone. And its frustrating!

Thanks! Appreciate any and all responses...
MK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:00 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i've been taking zeolite (aborbs toxins just like act. charcoal) and I've been feeling a TON of withdrawal symptoms lately. I think the zeolite definitely binds to some of the buprenorphine in the blood stream. Afterall, the gut is where the circulatory system is the strongest.