It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and Good Luck to all Suboxene patient's,

I am new to this forum in need of desperate advise. Before Suboxene it was Subutex before Subutex it was Buprenex (injectable). That is how long I have been on this medicine. I was in a very bad bicycle accident. The truck driver fell asleep
behind the wheel and I went flying up in the air. Needless to say I got pretty messed up with back problems, knee, neck, etc.
My Doctor who is also in research talked me into taking Buprenex. He explained to me that the withdrawl's would be much milder than if I was on heroin or any other opiate's. That was 13 years ago! My insurance (without notice) stopped paying for my Suboxene. 5 day's later I started getting real sick. Shooting pains down my legs, thoughts of killing myself, uncontrollable
crying plus not sleeping, not eatting, etc. Now I am reading that the longer the person taking Suboxene the longer the withdrawls. Now my Doctor is doing a research study about detox off Suboxene and paying patient's to partiapcate. For some strange reason I can not be part of the study. My question, can I sue my doctor for putting me on this so called medicine,
telling me that it had less side-effects then the other opiate's. At lease the other opiate's is out of your system in 3 days.
Being on S.S.I. I can not afford to pay for Suboxene. I curse the day that my doctor talked me into taking this medicine. Honestly I don't know how much longer I can take this hell! Taking 8mg 3x a day for years now I am down to 2mg 1/2 a day.

It is strange how the price is the same 8mg, 2mg and has not gone down since it came out in the market.

Now my Doctor avoids me, I can't even get him on the phone. When I went to my appointment the recptionist said sorry we
can't help you. Go to an emergency room!! I just want to get this out of my system. Having no family for support and living
with a man who is hot tempered and always yelling about everything. I really don't know what to do or how to end this hell. The tears just roll down my cheeks. No control over crying. Tomorrow, is another Doctor's appointment. I don't even know why I go. I saved some money so I can go down to 2mg. My body is still in shock at 2 1/2. I really feel that I should sue my doctor. Appreciate any feedback Thank You & God Bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello MonaLisa and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. The truth is, if you do a long, slow taper, the withdrawals (both acute and post-acute), can be extremely tolerable and manageable. It's all a matter of tapering slowly over time so that you're not shocking your body/brain by ripping the bupe off the receptors. Taking away too much too soon is what causes such severe withdrawals. Continue slowly dropping your dose by about 10% every few weeks, staying a week or so with each new dose before the next drop. And listen to your body along the way. It will take longer only because of the length of the taper starting from your original dose, but it can be done, and fairly painlessly.

It sounds like you've really been making large dosage drops in your suboxone dose for you to be having such severe withdrawal symptoms. Go slower and it will be easier on you. Yes, it will take longer, but you'll suffer so much less.

As for suing your doctor, well, I can't tell whether to do it or not. I suppose the only case you could have against him would be failure to provide informed consent, if that applies and I'm not sure about that. And if you really want to do that, I'd suggest you contact an attorney first and go from there. I do know suing a doctor is never an easy thing to do.

I hope this helps. Continue asking questions if you have them. We'll do what we can to assist.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Hatmaker510,
Yes my detox is drastic only because Medicaid stopped paying for my Suboxone. I asked my pharamist
what do patients do when they can no longer pay for their med's. She told me that sometimes people will
pay for one or two pills at a time. It's not just me. Medicaid in the State of Florida is no longer paying for Suboxone.
My heart goes out to all the people out there who can't afford their med's. I pray that I am accepted at the Suboxone
website (mailed me an application to fill out). Only three people from each Suboxone Dr. get accepted. Then they will
pay for a year supply and I can detox slowly like you recommend.

Thank You & God Bless

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MonaLisa913 wrote:
Hello Hatmaker510,
Yes my detox is drastic only because Medicaid stopped paying for my Suboxone. I asked my pharamist
what do patients do when they can no longer pay for their med's. She told me that sometimes people will
pay for one or two pills at a time. It's not just me. Medicaid in the State of Florida is no longer paying for Suboxone.
My heart goes out to all the people out there who can't afford their med's. I pray that I am accepted at the Suboxone
website (mailed me an application to fill out). Only three people from each Suboxone Dr. get accepted. Then they will

Thank You & God Bless

The number of patients depends on the number of people that the doctor can treat (suboxone)...when I was on the PAP (assistance program for Suboxone and getting it free), the doctor's 1st year in Suboxone he could only have 2 patients on the program..so for 30 patients, he could have 2 people getting assistance. When it goes up to 100 patients, after the first year, he could have 3 people getting assistance. So it all depends on how long your doctor has had his Data 2000 waiver (the ability to prescribe Suboxone).

This could have changed since I was on the Patient Assistance Program..it was 3 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

MonaLisa913 wrote:
Hello Hatmaker510,

Thank You & God Bless

Hi I also live in Florida and I am taking suboxone and Medicaid will pay for it if you have your Doctor to send them a prior auth. form next time you visit your doc. ask him about it.. theywill approve you for 1 year and then you have to send in the form again.. It takes about 24-48 hours to get approved I only had to pay for 2 pills till it was approved... hope this helps and good luck