It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello, I am curious if anybody has the experience of going back on to a narcotic (hydro, oxy, etc.) to get off the sub. I am curious if anybody knows about or has done it themselves. Use narcotic pain meds and taper them slowly to get off the suboxone and of course taper the narcotic to get clean of everything. I know this is not the normal thing to do because most people take the sub to get off the pain pill wheel of misfortune, yet i was just curious if that could be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

There is no way I would ever be able to taper off of any full agonist opiate. I know this because there would be times I would buy enough pills to last me all weekend and they would always be gone by Saturday morning. I tried so many times to taper myself, but I had absolutely no control when it came to my DOC. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I would bet money that most people (myself included) would go off suboxone with every intention to use full agonist opiates to taper and then find themselves right back into a full blown addiction. If people could taper themselves with full agonists there wouldn't be much need for suboxone. So if you do decide to do this just be very careful and remember the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why not just taper down off the suboxone and be done with it? I'm afraid this is kind of a no-brainer for most addicts. If you could have tapered off the narcotics why did you need suboxone to start with? Either way you go you are going to be dealing with a little bit of WD. It seems much safer to just taper as low as possible on the suboxone and then deal with the WD you have from it without going back to any full agonist opiates. I really think this is the addict side of your brain trying to get permission to do something you know isn't a good idea.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It never works out as planned. The other posters are right.

It's not worth the risk of death or relapse.

It's just seems brainless to attempt such a thing.

What got us here to begin with? Why not just get off full agonists to begin with if this was your route.? I mean. Don't try to take what seems like the easier path.... It just makes it worse in the end.

Good luck to you though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It ca work, few have tried this method to some degree of sucess..Sometimes tapering does not help and people still feel withdrawals and PAWS....

Reason why people do not taper full agonists is because they had no knowledge of sub, its WDs and PAWS, now they do their only goal is to beat the sub WDs and PAWS much as possible, so that gives you the incentative to taper full agonists and then use clonidine and other comfort meds to help the WDS...

Suboxone detox is too long for many people to just sit and wait for the affects to dissapear, so using full agonists for a while can help people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well. Full agonists still have the same paws but a shorter physical withdrawal.

However. You'd have to take full opiates at pretty high doses when you start and continue to take them for wayy too long.

This is what got us all here to begin with! It just seems really insane to even try!

If you are quitting suboxone and feel the need to take full agonists for this reason or that reason.... You shouldn't be getting off of suboxone.

Just my opinions, but for real. Seems totally crazy to tell yourself that you could take full agonists for an exact period of time. You have no idea how it will effect you or if you will be able to stop.

Honestly sounds like an excuse to get to take full agonists.

I highly recommend not doing this in any way shape or form!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The only reason I see for doing this way is if you are about to have surgery and you want to knock off the suboxone off your receptors and replace it with a full agonist. So you can proceed with the pain killers during and after surgery. I did this when I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled. But...I went right back to suboxone afterward.

Post subject: Good feedback
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the replies

Post subject: FYI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 pm 

The post by jimbeam was deleted. Not for the reason of the content, but because he is/was a previous troll who has been banned by four different names.

Rule62