It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am wondering can you go from subs to methadone, and what is the process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:59 am 
Hi tireddad - The short answer is yes. A friend of mine switched from Sub to methadone under a doctor's care and was told to stop the sub 3 days before starting methadone.
I'm just concerned because you just inducted onto Subs, and you said you were worried about becoming dependent on them. Methadone is much harder to come off of, from what I have heard, than Sub. It sounds like a step in the wrong direction. Is it because you can't get a doc to prescribe the sub? It sounds like you're in a tough spot. Please post again and let us know what is going on.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes, you can go from sub to methadone. As far as methadone being harder to stop than suboxone, that depends on a ton of variables. Coming off of methadone was very tough for me but I know others that have found sub to be harder. It depends on the individual and dosage. I do not think it is fair to say it is a step in the wrong dirrection, some respond very well to methadone and some don't. We have to remember methadone is a tool for sobriety just like sub. Lot's of people who do well on sub seem to Be anti methadone and the other way around. I personally hated methadone but I would never advise against it because I've seen people do very well on it (when used as dirrected). Be honest with your doc and you two can decide what's best. Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with Smoothy in that I don't think methadone is a step backwards either. I don't know anything about switching from sub to methadone though. But some people do very well on methadone. It's also a great - some might say better - choice for people with pain issues that sub can't address. At least that's my opinion.

Tiredad - are you switching or did you switch already? Keep us posted on how you're doing. We'd like to hear back from you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:06 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yeah, it's really easy to switch form sub to Methadone. It's not like going from Methadone to sub which is much more difficult. What is making you decide to switch to methadone? I have to agree in that it depends on the person as far as it being hard to come off and how it is done. Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh, btw, you should wait at least 24 hrs. Try to wait more if you can. That's my opinion based on experience, not a medical opinion.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also would not categorize it as a step in the wrong direction, but I think I know where that comment was coming from....

Personally, I believe that ANY tool that can help keep an addict in remission is a GOOD THING.

Everyone has different circumstances. If, for some reason, I could not longer get suboxone, I'd probably run as fast as I could to the first doctor who would prescribe me methadone, because with my history it's extremely likely that I'd relapse without some kind of ORT (Opiate Replacement Therapy)