It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im not a big drinker but I like to have a beer or 2 while watching football. But I didn't know if you are able to while taking subs. Im taking it for withdrawal of hydros and tramadol. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Both alcohol and suboxone are CNS depressants. This can be dangerous if you combine the two. Technically, you really shouldn't drink while on suboxone.

Now, that being said...I have been known to have a beer or two here and there. I have never drank to excess, and I don't think I ever did it until I got down to lower doses. I probably would at least give yourself a few months to adjust to the medicine before you do any drinking. And, if you are on a higher dose, say...over 4mg, I would stay away from it all together just to be safe.

Use your own judgement here. You know your body and how you react to alcohol.

Obviously this is NOT medical advice. Only an opinion formed based on my own experience.

Q :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I decided football season will be without beer lol which is just fine

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Drinking on Suboxone is highly ineffective. It has a tendency to block any buzz you'd get from the alcohol, much like it blocks the effects of other opiates. The only time I could really break through that ceiling was with tequila shots, I don't recommend that. A beer or two wont hurt much more than your recovery, but it will likely prove to be pointless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had often wondered what Suboxone did with alcohol...I haven't drank much since I got steady in Suboxone, over 5 years ago...but I have, on occasion, drank 1/2 or 1 beer...and really all I felt was sleepy. But I normally get sleepy anyway around the times I drank those, so who's to say it was the beer that did it to begin with...

I've gotten to the point that when someone asks me why I don't drink, or if I can drink and take my meds, I say to them "yeah, but why would I want to?"
That's proven to be a good answer to that question, because drinking can lead down a whole different path that i've never been, and don't wanna go either...but I've seen what it can do -- that's not me, and won't be. Like all other young people, I did my fair share of drinking in the 20's/late teen years. Since I hit my 30's, I can count on 1 hand the beers I've drank. I prefer to keep that record and not go back to a 6-pack/daily, like I was at one point in my early 20's...or a suitcase every weekend....

Oh, the stupid shit I did....I think I was more risky with drinking than I was with pills..because I was pretty apt to jump in the car and go driving after drinking 15 beers...knowing full damnn well I shouldn't be driving. But I did it anyway. I'm just one of the lucky ones who has come through that to be able to say "this is what you SHOULDN'T do"
And that's the only thing that I can say came from it, positively speaking.

If I ever start thinking I might want to drink, i just look at my little girl..and think to myself "what if something happened, and here I am, alone at home with her...and she needed to be rushed to the doctor?"
That usually curbs my urge, it doesn't take much before I've given myself a long list of excuses as to why I shouldn't drink...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[quote="jonathanm1978"]I had often wondered what Suboxone did with alcohol...I haven't drank much since I got steady in Suboxone, over 5 years ago...but I have, on occasion, drank 1/2 or 1 beer...and really all I felt was sleepy. But I normally get sleepy anyway around the times I drank those, so who's to say it was the beer that did it to begin with...

I've gotten to the point that when someone asks me why I don't drink, or if I can drink and take my meds, I say to them "yeah, but why would I want to?"
That's proven to be a good answer to that question, because drinking can lead down a whole different path that i've never been, and don't wanna go either...but I've seen what it can do -- that's not me, and won't be. Like all other young people, I did my fair share of drinking in the 20's/late teen years. Since I hit my 30's, I can count on 1 hand the beers I've drank. I prefer to keep that record and not go back to a 6-pack/daily, like I was at one point in my early 20's...or a suitcase every weekend....

Oh, the stupid shit I did....I think I was more risky with drinking than I was with pills..because I was pretty apt to jump in the car and go driving after drinking 15 beers...knowing full damnn well I shouldn't be driving. But I did it anyway. I'm just one of the lucky ones who has come through that to be able to say "this is what you SHOULDN'T do"
And that's the only thing that I can say came from it, positively speaking.

If I ever start thinking I might want to drink, i just look at my little girl..and think to myself "what if something happened, and here I am, alone at home with her...and she needed to be rushed to the doctor?"
That usually curbs my urge, it doesn't take much before I've given myself a long list of excuses as to why I shouldn't drink...[/

I had the exact same "drinking" experience. Did my fair share in college, but really had no interest beyond that. It was this reason that I became in love with pills. Finally something I could do to change my mood! Oh how I used to rail against society with its "drugs are bad, alcohol fine". Why couldn't I walk into a bar, slap my hand on the counter to order,"two percosets- straight up".
Anyway, I still find the double standard kind if crappy, but how grateful I am pills are not that accessible. I appreciate that there are not pill stores on every block. I've read the torture alcoholics have just on their drive home from work. Alcohol is a helluva drug.