It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am asking this because I have been reading around not just this forum but various forums and some swear by this, apparently it does not work as other ADs do and in that sense it is unique. I am wondering has anybody tried Wellbutrin/Buproprion for PAWS? did it really help? or did it help in the short run? it does not extend PAWS does it? is ti better to take it during the acute stage of sub detox or is it better to wait for couple of months?

I may not even get hit with hard enough PAWS that I need something like Wellbutrin, but since I have been on sub for quite a while I got to think ahead and be in realistic mode.. I figure it's good to digest much information and opinions incase I do reach a situation where I need some boost or help.

I only get 1 chance acquiring these meds so I want to stockpile anything that may help.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:48 pm 

I don't know for sure that Wellbutrin works during PAWS, but I do know that my suboxone doctor plans on putting me on Wellbutrin as I am at the point of tapering all the way off suboxone. I already take fluoxetine (generic for prozac), and my doctor says that Wellbutrin works in a complementary way with fluoxetine. However, I do think that any of the anti-depression drugs are kind of hit or miss. They might work well for one person, but not the next. I think it would be worth trying. Apparently, you have to wait a few weeks to see if it works for you.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah I agree with what your saying, it's always a hit and a miss, everybody body chemistry is different, but I am not sure whether it will work during acute withdrawal though. I have never been prone to depression and never suffered any depression so far tapering, but just incase I run into problems later on I want to be prepared to the max.

Some have always said it's the endorphins which are the issue after quitting sub and not really dopamine or serotonin, therefore meds like Wellbutrin tend to not do what they are capable of during sub detox.

I am not sure if my doctor will prescribe me any meds let alone Wellbutrin, they are very inconsiderate, particularly given the fact my doc use to prescribe me subs, therefore he or she ( see a different doctor at the same practice everytime I pay a visit) views people like me as no go zone as far as prescribing prescription medicines are concerned. They believe since we were or are addicts we will get hooked on any meds too easily, so they do their best not to barge. I am not sure if they are allowed to do that? if someone is in pain or suffering depression surely the doctors have to prescribe something? mine will probably tell me to go counseling or give it time. Therefore I may acquire these meds from the internet.