It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All,

After years of heroin, and just as many with Suboxone, a new doctor (and no, I don't "doctor shop") prescribed me 30-day supply of 8 mgs Subutex. He said I did not have to wait for ANY w/d symptoms to begin taking the Subutex. This was music to my ears b/c, like you and everyone on this forum, I HATE, I LOATHE that waiting to be in full-blown w/d. It's beyond Hell. So when this doctor said I wouldn't have to wait, I was on Cloud 9. But like any good addict, I grew suspicious and decided to do my own "research" (i.e. I asked The Google and the Internet). Bad idea. So much contradictory info out there.

Can anyone say, WITH ANY CERTAINTY, whether or not I can take Subutex, say, 12 hours after my last bag of dope? I genuinely want to get off (and stay off) the shit, but as you know, the waiting game for w/d to kick in often leads me/us back to the shit.

So PLEASE, if you know for sure, please share that info.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

-LTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 pm 

Hey Lougtime,
Im sorry but it does seem to me that your dr is giving bad advice here.

Inducttion on Buprenorphine takes mod/ to severe wd. Period. It is the bup that fights for the reseptors not naloxone. Maybe this is where the dr is confused.
Bupe is bupe no matter witch product your useing. If Subutex could be used in this easy way, then why would ANYONE go though the process of wd at induction.?
See what im saying.
So Lougtime, you know what to do, and use the COWS scale to score yourself.
PW s are no fun so make sure you ve waited loug enough and in wd.
One of our drs could come aloug and give more of an answer tonight, but this is the loug and the short of it.
As they say, if it is to good to ture it probably is....

Razor..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you, Razor. What you're saying makes sense. I thought the same thing: why put addicts through the Hell called w/d if there's an easier way? (Unless it's all about the naltrexone, which, for some doctors, I think it is.) But how a HCP (healthcare professional) could be so wrong, if what you're saying is correct, is beyond me. Thanks again.

Can anyone else weigh in, please?

-LTA

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey LTA,

Razor said it perfectly. He leads a weekly newcomers to buprenorphine group at his Clinic and no doubt has answered this question many times before.

Who knows why naloxone is even in Suboxone? besides a marketing purpose to imply it prevents abuse. But only a little naloxone gets orally absorbed and what does is quickly taken care of by the liver so its not available to cause PWs. Those that misuse bup with the IV route report the naloxone does not cause PWs either. You mentioned naltrexone. Very different drug. The tablet form does get absorbed orally and lasts a LONG time and causes severe PWs if taken w in 7-10 days of an opiate.

In any of the bup prescriptions w or wo naloxone, its the bup that causes PWs bc it better fits the receptors compared to H or any other opiates.

Go w what Razor said. Use the COWS scale. Time is not your only guide. P
PS too bad on all the misinformation out there on bup. Sorry this is all so hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

LTA - Yes , it most certainly can if you take it too early. I f you haven't taken your subutex yet, please do yourself a favor and wait at least 24 hours since the last time you used. I know it may sound like a long time to wait but I've seen precipitated withdrawal in detox before and I've never seen anyone more sick in my life. I would hate to have that happen to you. I waited over 24 hours because I was concerned that the dope I had was laced with fentanyl which is a longer acting opioid. I didn't want to take a chance.

I would encourage you to start at a low dose. I'm talking even 2mg first. Wait an hour and then take more if you need to. It's just that some people can get a little nauseous at first because this is a strong medicine, please respect it. I hate to tell you this but I would also think about finding another doctor sometime down the road also. It doesn't sound like your doctor knows what they are talking about and you really deserve to have a knowledgeable physician overseeing your recovery, in my opinion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes please. Welcome to the forum!! - OM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Around here the heroin is being laced with fentanyl. It's a crap shoot, last person I had waited 20 hours and still had PW. The longer you wait the less chance of PW. Transitioning from heroin to buprenorphine is quite difficult, there can be several days as your tolerance drops to match what the buprenorphine will cover, not PW but still quite dysphoric and ill.
The naltrexone orally has nil to do with PW or the induction process.
Methadone may be a better option if you have a high tolerance and using heroin.