It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Can Subs do this?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have not taken care of my teeth. With my other more serious health problems and my addiction, the cavities have come like crazy. I can feel them and I should have terrible toothaches by now. Are the Subs taking care of the pain? I don't feel pain. A little twinge of pain sometimes and it goes away. I take 2 tylenol just to psych myself that the pain won't come.

I am going to the dentist next Tuesday. I am on blood thinners & subs, so I have to go off both to get dental treatment. Pray that this goes o.k. for me. Lord knows I have enough. . The inconvenience of my amputation is frustrating enough. Everything is much more difficult to do, especially doctor appointments. (Wheelchair, electric scooter) but I have to go to the dentist eventually so I'm going to tackle this now.

Good luck to all of you. Keep up the fight. Don't weaken. We can do this. Love & Hope, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 am 
Hi Queenie, glad you're doing better today. Sub is an effective medication for mild to moderate pain. You're smart to get your teeth worked on now before they get worse. Hopefully you'll only need fillings and you can go right back on your Sub.
Good Luck,
Lilly

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Lilly, That's probably why it doesn't hurt yet. I hope I don't need extractions. But knowing myself and feeling around with my tongue, there are a few big cavities there. Sorry, don't mean to gross you out.

Yes, I am feeling better. This forum and people in it like you, have taught me a lot.

How are you doing? You are one of the first posts that I read on here. I really hope positive things are happening to you. Don't give up the struggle. Love & hope, queenie

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

queeny1959, i am going through the exact same thing that you are going through. i hadnt been to the dentist for 20 years and i am certainly regretting it now. i went about 3 weeks ago and 7 cavities were found that could be filled but 2 bigger cavities that have to be crowned and one that they wanted to pull. that scared me alot since i wasnt going to be able to take opiates for the pain. i mentioned that i wasnt sure i wanted to go through the tramatic experience of having him yank it out and its not loose at all. (im a wuss though) he then said that i could also choose to have a root canal. i have gone through a root canal years ago and there was no pain at all, he gave me shots in the cheek and gums and there was absolutely no pain. i was worried that when the "numby stuff" wore off, i would be in pain and he assured me that i would experience no pain at all and i didnt. perhaps a root canal, if its available, may be something to look into. the reason it wasnt offered to me right away is that root canals are not covered by some insurances. well i hope this helped alittle and best of luck to you.

Post subject: So glad you are here
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am the one you met in the lounge, remember? You were looking around and I came in.

Thank you for writing to me about your dental experience. I have to just suck it up, be strong and take care of this. It will only get worse. I guess they are still working on you since you started 3 weeks ago. So you don't know if you will have the extraction? I know you don't want to have to go off subs. I worry about the painkillers not working. I worry about WD's and having to get to the dentist. When I get sick I can't even get out of bed. Maybe the WD's won't be so bad with Subs.

You said you hoped you helped me a little. You helped me a lot. If you can do it, I can too. I am going to use you as an example.

Thanks so, so much. You seem like such a brave person. Did you post your story here? I'd like to read it. Did you read mine? Take care and keep thinking positive. Love & hope, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just to let you know, I've had extensive dental work done and never stopped taking subxone, and I even had three wisdom teeth extracted while on this stuff. I had ZERO problems.

Now, pain management after the extractions is a bit of an issue, and it definitely hurt like hell for a few days, but I was fine after about three days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I can tell you right now, I still get toothaches while on suboxone. I am on 8mg daily, split into two doses of 4mg. Weak teeth runs in my family and I as well have poor teeth and suffer from toothaches quite often. Boy oh boy, if there is one thing in the world that makes me want to run to eat a percocet, it's a horrible toothache. They are a 10 on my pain scale. You'd think I'd be used to them by now since I've had them all my life but I've managed so far.

My doc knows of my tooth pain so he gives me a few extra subs each script. The good thing is, the suboxone does combat the pain of a toothache, although not as well as a full agonist, but it dulls it enough to where I can get things done, especially SLEEP. I CANNOT sleep with a toothache. No way, no how. That is why I am up right now at 1:10am lol. I just took another 8mg suboxone(16mg daily, a high dose for me) and right now the pain is subsided for the most part but I can still feel it hinting at me. I also combined it with a 600mg motrin my dentist prescribed me. I have an appointment with my family's oral surgeon in a couple weeks to have 4 teeth pulled and no doubt will be given a strong full agonist opiate(most likely percocet). The good thing is, I know the oral surgeon well and he knows I am on suboxone. I have already talked with my suboxone doctor and he has given me the go ahead to stop taking suboxone 36+ hours prior to going in for surgery. I am going to have him confer with my oral surgeon as to what narcotic would best suit the pain given my tolerance due to suboxone.

Here's hoping everything works out for yourself and me!

Post subject: Teeth pain.......
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

The worst, SORRY............. as far as dealing with REAL pain, everyone has to learn for themselves how to handle pain with Suboxone in them, even at 1mg of Suboxone pain is almost impossible to get rid of..... If you keep revisiting this issue you really only have 1 choice , the word rhymes with paper !!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:50 pm 
I know this is an old post but queenie if you read this could you tell me why you had to go off suboxone in order to get your cavities fixed? I have to get my teeth drilled soon too and all they ever give me for it is novacaine so I didnt know why you would have to go off of your sub. Do they give you some other kind of med besides novacaine? I know novacaine is a local anestethic sp? and suboxone or opiates should stop it from working but last time I had a root canal they could not get the novacaine to work (I was using large amounts of morphine daily) and they had to pump 7 vials of it into my mouth in order to do the root canal, then after that they were gonna fix a cavity and told me the novacaine would still be working and they touched my tooth with the drill and I could feel every bit of it. They tried to give me more novacaine but it never worked so they couldnt work on my tooth that day, I was wondering if opiates somehow caused the novacaine not to work but it makes no sense to me since its an anestethic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no reason that Suboxone should block the actions of Novocain. The actions and mechanisms of each of these medications are completely different. There is no reason that Suboxone will block Novocain nor have I ever heard or read of this happening. Something else had to be going on with you. As for pain following fillings, etc. many dentists and patients’ alike report that ibuprophine works much better in treating this type of pain than does a narcotic life Vicodin. That is true of many dental procedures. Unfortunately, something like an extraction often still requires some opiates for pain control. The good thing is the pain usually only lasts a couple of days.

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Suboxowned,

When I posted about this, I meant extractions & root canals & such.

Of course, just plain fillings would not require me to go off Subs. With just Novocaine It would do.

I was anticipatiing extractions & stuff since my teeth are in such bad shape.

I have also had bad experiences with dentists like an impacted tooth and oral surgery whcih in the past was very painful.

Love, queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:39 pm 
Ok thanks queenie, you must have a nice dentist since he gives you pain meds for a root canal, my dentist wont give anything except Ibuprofen like donh said. I meant to say "opiates/suboxone shouldn't stop it from working", not that it should it was just a typo. I hope my next visit to the dentist doesnt end the same way with the novacaine not working again, for the record tho I wasnt on suboxone when I went last time I was in active addiction using morphine/poppy pods.