It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

do you think you will need suboxone for the rest of your life?
yes 42%  42%  [ 19 ]
no 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
do not know 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 45
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
I am very new to suboxone (only been a patient for about 2 months now) so a lot of you are probably going to say that has a lot to do with this question... However I am not new to opiate addiction and I am not new to my self and my addiction.

I will try Not to go into a lot of detail, but here's a little background: I was a full blown opiate addict for 10+ years (pain pills, oxys, poppy tea, heroin, you name it)

Opiate addiction led me to doing almost 4 years in prison for ... yeah you guessed it (burglarizing a pharmacy) now keep in mind before this, I had never spent a day in jail, this is what addiction led me to,

When I got out of prison I tried so hard not to use because I am on parole, I love my kids and I want to stay home. I had one incident (a injury, a er visit, and a script of vicodin) that led to a relapse.

I immediately reached out for help, got into treatment , therapy- group sessions twice a week and suboxone treatment (20mg daily)

Suboxone is a miracle for me. I used to obsess about opiates all day every day even when I was completely sober.
Suboxone has completely changed my life, my life style and my relationships, people are saying I am doing better than ever. They cant beilive it.

Suboxone, fills that emptiness inside of me that craves getting high, and not just opiates either I am a bad alcoholic and have had no cravings for alcohol since I started suboxone. My so called mental illness symptoms have gone away, I am no longer depressed, angry or lazy, I have since enrolled in college, I am constantly working on my self, my family and doing positive things. It is like I am reborn and it is truly a complete transformation.

now heres the question...
my doctor says that I have to come off of the suboxone in 6 months to a year. Maybe it's just because I am new on it. But I was sober for 4 years, completely sober in treatment and everything and I never felt this way, the depression the emptiness the cravings and the obsessions were always there , suboxone is the only thing that has changed this for me, I was a hard core junkie, no doubt about it, for example: back when you could get hydrocodone scripts off the internet I used to spend thousands a month, I would go through 120 10mg lortabs in two days, I mean shoot, I robbed a dang pharmacy just to get a fix, served four years and STILL wanted to get high, i really think that for me, suboxone fills a permanent hole in me.

I really feel that unless I get a brain transplant or something (lol) I will need suboxone for the rest of my life. But obviously my dr does not agree. Do all doctors think this way? Does anyone feel like I do?

any and all input is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.

First, you need a new doctor. No one should force you off Sub in some arbitrary amount of time. How does your doctor know you'll be ready in 6-12 months? There are doctors who do long-term maintainence for Suboxone. call around and find one if your doctor doesn't come around.

Second, take it one day at a time dude. Don't start worrying about forever right now. Sub is a great recovery tool, and can enable you to make a lot of positive changes in your life. Maybe you will want to stay on it forever, maybe not, that remains to be seen. What matters is what you do now to try to heal the damage that addiction has done in your life.

When I first started Sub I thought I would stay on forever. I figured I'd just pay out of pocket when my insurance ran out. But when the time came, I felt ready and I tapered off. My good friend wants nothing to do with tapering off. The Sub has really lifted her depression and she is not ready to try life without it. Everyone is different and we all have to figure out what is right for us.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: stopping suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,new to forum not Sub. My doctor is weaning me off now also and I am scared to death! I feel like I won't be able to function without being on it. I have had people tell me that I'm using suboxone as a crutch. And if I am,does that mean I'm a bad person? Then I think maybe I'm addicted to thesuboxone. All I know is I'm not shooting up everyday and not "kicking" when I can't get any.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree there are doctors out there who agree with long term use. I know in my area there are only a handful of doctors who are licensed to prescribe but if I was told that i needed to be off within a certain amount of time I would change doctors.
If you're on suboxone your trying to better yourself...you're treating your disease, I understand how you feel about it being a crutch. Whats sad is that this medicine is no different than a blood pressure pill for someone who has high blood pressure and for someone to say that we use it as a crutch, it's sad. I don't understand how insurance companies will only give you a certain amount of time to be on it. Would they do that with the patient with high blood pressure? Just take their meds away.
It does me no good to complain though guess I should be grateful that insurance will pay for the medication.
By the way I called my doctor up yesterday about suboxone going generic. He said that the patent runs out but the company Reckitt Benckiser will not be making a generic for the drug and he knows of no other company that will be going generic (at this time) Has anyone heard anything different? All take care! One day at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

my doc never talks about "getting off suboxone" we have talked about time frames and he always says that it's up to me, when I don't think I need to take it anymore, then I can try. Don't worry about stopping yet, just take steps everyday to cope with life without drugs. Fix the underlying reason for your use, and how ever long that takes is how long you take suboxone. I've been in treatment for over a year, and it's still a struggle everyday for me, but I keep going....so can you.

Jay Jay