It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Friends,

I am currently on 16 mg suboxone daily. I'm suppose to be tapering down and having such a hard time. I ran out of suboxone early again. The withdrawls are horrible. I have tramadol 50mg tablets, no suboxone and I have a week to go before my next appt. I wanted to know if I could use the tramadol to hold me over to avoid withdrawl from suboxone until my next appt. if this is possible how much tramadol should I take daily and how often. I read on an opipod converter that 150mg of tramadol is equal to 1.2 mg of suboxone. The hard part is figuring out the dosing schedule as tramadol lasts only 4-6 hours and suboxone is taken only once a day. I appreciate your input. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello kittykat -

I'm sorry you're in such a tough situation. It sucks to run out of medication and be facing withdrawals. Is there any way you can let your doctor know what's going on? I know some Sub doctors are really strict or kind of don't care, but maybe you have an understanding one?

I don't know anything about tramadol - I'm one of those people who it does nothing for. I know some people get a good effect from it but for me it was useless. I have no idea if it is strong enough to keep you out of withdrawal or how much you should take. Maybe someone with more experience in that area will respond.

Definitely look up tramadol and find out how much is safe to take. Being on 16mgs of Sub you'll have a pretty high opiate tolerance, but I know tramadol also has an effect on seratonin so you'll want to be careful of that. Maybe just take enough to take the edge off the withdrawals so you can sleep?

I wish I had better advice for you. I hope things work out ok.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The problem with tramadol is, the long half life. So you'll have to be in w/d for quite awhile before taking the suboxone again.

heres some more info on it
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5 ... dol+ultram

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6 ... dol+ultram

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6 ... dol+ultram

I sincerely hope that helps. I had a bad experience w/tramadol, but I was taking way too much, and then just ran out.
So, Im sure that was probably the problem, for me.

Any other questions just ask.
Id be really careful, have you taken the tramadol/ultram for a few days in a row, previously???

best of luck

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes, tried tramadol before. My addiction was to Vicodin for one year. I was taking up to 30 tablets a day of 5mg hydro. I'm sorry I went on suboxone because the withdrawls are worse and a lot harder than the Vicodin. I can't sleep or eat, I have bone pain and cold skin, freezing to death. My dr is very understanding and did say I could come in early if needed, the only problem is he only works Monday's. I started tramadol, the Vicodin doesn't help with withdrawls, but tramadol does. I just dont wanna OD. Or let the withdrawl get out of control. I was given 16mg suboxone initially which is equal to about 84 5mg of Vicodin pills. That is so messed up, yes dr does not care, he just wants to keep his patients esp. The ones who have good insurance I'm sure. I have been on suboxone for 4 yearsfoes a one year addiction.

The dr is just now cutting me down, suggested that I didn't before and I was motivated, but now I'm so use to suboxone I don't wanna quit or taper cause anxiety and depression is sinking in. My biggest mistake was listening to my family and dr and not myself. When I realized I was addicted, I had a taper plan with the Vicodin, but family suggested suboxone. I believed everything they said such as I am a drug addict with cloudy thinking and also a little crazy for using family members names to call in prescriptions and they know what's best for me.

I've started tramadol to avoid suboxone withdrawl. I'm taking 20 -50mg/pills a day spread out throughout the day. Hopefully the opipod converter is correct which is 3 pills of 50mg tramadol is equal to 1.2 mg of suboxone. I have 6 year old twins and need to be able to function as I am a stay at home mom.

Now I wonder if I would be better off not going back to suboxone, but staying on tramadol then taper off that?

Thanks for your advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey kitty
I like you am having withdrawals. I know nothing about what you're asking. But f you can't find a solution to avoid your withdrawals know that I am on day three and withdrawing too. No matter how many miles apart we are going through the same thing. I'll pray for you to the image of his I believe in. I hope you get through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Kitty, Sorry to hear about your situation. Six weeks ago I was also on 16mg daily and was on that dose for about 18 months. I just lost my job and along with it my health insurance. I was absolutly FREAKED out. I had a minimum amount of subs left and had to quickly taper down to as of right now 1mg. I went down to 4mg in less than 3 weeks and I am telling you I felt better at 4mg than I ever did at 16mg. What I realized is that 16mg is a monster dose. There was always a feeling I had inside when I got on subs that wasn't right. I always thought 16mg wasn't enough but it turned out that 16 was way to much. It also amazed me that tapering down to 4mg that quickly there were hardly any WD's, I mean so minor it's not even worth mentioning. Its just something you might wan't to consider. Get down to 8mg and then to 4 and see how you feel. This way you never have to worry about running out. I can't tell you many times I shorted myself at the end of the month by doing 20mg a day instead of my script at 16. As far as the Tramadol it never worked for me, my body wanted opiates not some pill that tried to act like one. Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kitti'. hi. donmiller sounds soo right to me!! i am still on 22mg and some times more once or twice i took 50 or 60mgs and did get a gushy buzz and don't want to do it again. i hope i can also drop to 4 and feel better, and it makes a lot of cents to me i hope. and not get cravings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Kitty.

Tramadol will take the edge off your Suboxone withdrawals, but that's about as far as it'll go. I always found Tramadol to be very mild compared to stronger opioids like Suboxone and methadone. There were times I was in strong withdrawal and tramadol only managed to make it marginally easier.

It might help a bit but like amber said it may be worth noting a risk of precipitated withdrawal when you go back on Sub.

Post subject: Be Careful
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm 

Hi Kitty,

Have you researched Tramadol and the suggested total daily dose? I can't help but wonder how much damage you are doing taking 20 of those a day. It is a lot better than taking Vicodins because of the Tylenol in it. Would hate to see you damage your liver or kidneys just to feel some relief.

How about taking less and less per day until your next Dr. appt? It is just very concerning of me hearing you state that.

Please be careful and stay well,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kittykat02 wrote:
Yes, tried tramadol before. My addiction was to Vicodin for one year. I was taking up to 30 tablets a day of 5mg hydro. I'm sorry I went on suboxone because the withdrawls are worse and a lot harder than the Vicodin. I can't sleep or eat, I have bone pain and cold skin, freezing to death. My dr is very understanding and did say I could come in early if needed, the only problem is he only works Monday's. I started tramadol, the Vicodin doesn't help with withdrawls, but tramadol does. I just dont wanna OD. Or let the withdrawl get out of control. I was given 16mg suboxone initially which is equal to about 84 5mg of Vicodin pills. That is so messed up, yes dr does not care, he just wants to keep his patients esp. The ones who have good insurance I'm sure. I have been on suboxone for 4 yearsfoes a one year addiction.

The dr is just now cutting me down, suggested that I didn't before and I was motivated, but now I'm so use to suboxone I don't wanna quit or taper cause anxiety and depression is sinking in. My biggest mistake was listening to my family and dr and not myself. When I realized I was addicted, I had a taper plan with the Vicodin, but family suggested suboxone. I believed everything they said such as I am a drug addict with cloudy thinking and also a little crazy for using family members names to call in prescriptions and they know what's best for me.

I've started tramadol to avoid suboxone withdrawl. I'm taking 20 -50mg/pills a day spread out throughout the day. Hopefully the opipod converter is correct which is 3 pills of 50mg tramadol is equal to 1.2 mg of suboxone. I have 6 year old twins and need to be able to function as I am a stay at home mom.

Now I wonder if I would be better off not going back to suboxone, but staying on tramadol then taper off that?

Thanks for your advice

Yes....do be careful! I think you are taking way over the max Tramadol dose. I'm pretty sure the max is around 400 mg a day, and you're taking 1,000 mg/day. The trouble with this med is that it can make you seize if you take too much or come off it too fast. Just be careful! I think you can get seratonin syndrome too. Kinda scary....you don't wanna seize while taking care of your kids!!

laddertipper