It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My PCP is actually a P.A. (physicians assistant) an even though he's not a doctor he is more caring and more knowledgeable than any other real doctor I've ever been to. Since there are no doctors that can write for sub in my town I was thinking about asking him if he would be willing to take the class and then become my sub doc. I know it would bring him lots of extra business because he would be the only one in my whole town and even though it's a fairly small town there are tons of opiate addicts here. Dont get me wrong I love the sub doc I have now but it would be great not to have to drive 45 minutes to my appointments and also to see someone who I have a better relationship with and who has been treating me for about 7 years so he knows more about my medical history.

So my question is can a PA take the class and become certified to become a suboxone doctor? I know he can write for schedule three narcotics because last time my husband went to him he gave him a script for hydrocodone 7.5.

If it turns out that he can does anybody have any advice on how to approach him about it? Maybe some reading materials about suboxone and about the class?

If someone could find an answer to this I would really appreciate it!

Squeaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My doctor does JACK besides writing the scrips.....the person you speak of cant write your prescriptions but you can sure as hell take direction from him rather than the doctor writing the scrip......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Actually he can write prescriptions. He can even write scheduled prescriptions.

Besides that I didn't really understand what you were saying in your post.

Please elaborate

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh, I didn't realize the guy could scrip Vicodin....I have never ever heard of a guy being allowed to write scrips without being m.d. so never-mind I have no clue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

But what I meant was that u can take direction from him like you can make your decisions with him rather than your doctor....why take your advice from somebody who is so distant? You can Get your pills from this guy but if he is the way I bet he is, than yea I would take advice and discuss what your doing with somebody else that cares about you....also a doctor or p.a. Or watever has much to consider before entering the suboxone market it will affect his reputation and every other aspect of his practice its very very unlikely he will decide to start brokering suboxone at the request of a patient no matter how you approach it.....u can still get what you seem to be looking for from him(advice,direction,care and concern) and get the pills elswhere though right??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Youre absolutely right I could get advice from him. The sub doc I have now is a good doc too. She's very understanding and non judgemental. Plus I only pay 76 dollars a visit. I actually pay less to see my sub doc than my regular PA.

Post subject: PA's
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

PA's and NP's cannot take the waiver and treat opioid addiction. Ironic, because they can write for schedule two and three drugs, at least in our state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the info docm!

That's too bad really I think he would have been a wonderful sub doc. Oh well he can still be my wonderful primary care PA.

Post subject: Hurrah for NP
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think the day will come when they will be able to take the waiver course. My mental health pro at the VA is a N.P. She is the best 'doc' I have had over the last 15 years.