It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was wondering if it is safe to take 2 mg of suboxone after taking one dose of methadone in a two day period? its been about 30 hrs since the last of the methadone was taken. my DOC is tramadol, but will take whatever i can get when i run out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

forgive me if i posted in wrong area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 pm 

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question as I'm not very familiar with methadone. I have heard that taking suboxone and methadone can be tricky. I hope that one of our members will be able to answer your question soon. Quite a few have taken methadone prior to suboxone, or switched to methadone from suboxone.

I do want to welcome you to the forum! You gave a very helpful post in the "Suboxone and Pregnancy" section. I hope you will stick around to tell your story. :)

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Methadone to Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:25 pm 

Hi lostinlife,

One, I moved your thread over to this Misc. Sub section for you per your quasi request.

So your DOC is Tramadol but you took one dose of Methadone to keep you out of withdrawals I presume? Now you want to know how long to wait to take some Suboxone. I would say it depends on how you feel. With the very strong narcotics the doctors normally want the patient in w/d's for about 2-3 days. (please someone correct me if I'm wrong here) If you are having mild w/d's then wait for them to be moderate to severe before attempting to take some Suboxone. There is something called precipitated withdrawals and if you take it too soon it may trigger that.

When I was first induced to Suboxone via a medical doctor, I was addicted to both Hydrocodone and Tramadol. Add in some Soma and Xanax and you have a complete narcotic picture of me prior to stopping the madness. What I'm saying is that the Sub should work okay with getting you off the Tramadol.

Just go by how you feel. You just might be able to stop completely w/o taking any Suboxone at all. That would be the best outcome by far.

Keep on posting your progress,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you've only taken methadone once you probably won't have to wait too long after the dose wears off and you find yourself in withdrawals. Be safe, wait until your withdrawals are starting to make you struggle a bit.

It's a really hard one to gauge because most people who come in with this kinda query have been on methadone quite a long time. In your case you shouldn't have to wait 36-48 hours like those guys but you'll still need to wait at least 12 hours after you've found yourself in withdrawals.

Good luck.