It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Over my pregnancy I gained about 40 lbs. My dose was increased while pregnant, as some of you know that may remember me, after a battle with my doctor, who had been trying to get me to decrease my dose while pregnant not increase it. Anyway, I am thinking it is just my mental and physical state from all the changes of having a baby but i am NOT feeling ok with even thinking of reducing down again now that i am not pregnant. But i just thought, what if part of that (feeling like i need to stay at 6mg right now is also due to weight gain... i have been gaining weight after having her faster then i did while pregnant!) So... can increase in weight affect the dose you need to maintain without withdraw affect?
2 weeks ago my doc had said he thought the implant would be a good idea for me but when i went to visit him 2 days ago he said he changed his mind and wants me to do weekly counseling and begin reducing the dose back down. I am in no state to reduce down right now. I need time to adjust to my newish life (just had baby, decided to be stay at home mom so not returning to work, no longer have my dad who died 2 weeks before my daughter was born, gained a bunch of weight, let all my good eating and exercise habits go and need to get back on that train, etc.) 6 months seems like the prefect amount of time to resolve or come to peace with most of those other issues. I feek like being plungrd into a reduction again is only going to harm that process. I dont know. I honesty feel crummy at 6mg still. Damn it all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:47 pm 

Hey pregnantandlost! Of course I remember u and ur journey. Hope all is well with the baby.... I know it can be stressful too adjusting to a brand new baby... not much sleep in the beginning and just having to be at the baby's beckon call, it can be stressful for sure. I went through it 3 times lol and it never got easier. I can completely understand not wanting to mess with ur dose right now.

Is ur doctor not going to understand if u tell him ur just not ready yet? Or is he the type that wants things done his way regardless of what's best for his patient? I don't know why he/she is set on taking u down on ur dose right now. What's the reason? Is he thinking ur ready or what? If I were u I'd just try to be as honest as u can with him. I know that doesn't always work in ur benefit but u never know. If worse comes to worse, can u possibly look for another doctor? If ur not ready to taper and ur doctor isn't wanting to listen, can u find another doctor?

I'm sorry ur having more issues with ur dose, I hope u can talk to ur Dr. It's so important to have a caring understanding doctor, not everyone is lucky enough to have that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey P&G,
Will always remember your strength and courage - during pregnancy - and I see it - we see it coming here now. IDK why your Dr wants you to lower. I called your Dr. 'unknowing' in your prior thread bc I don't understand why not give enough? I want to call him that again but I think I bothered you by calling him that last time so I won't this time bc I respect you and don't want to cause you any distress but I think you know what I'm thinking...

I'm always grateful to jennjenn for her responses bc they're spot on. There was a recent poster who after a bad breakup wanted to stop bup and Dr j and all of us said don't lower, don't start a taper. the time to do that is when all is well and life is easier. NOT when life is challenging... I don't think this is a good time for you to lower your dose and in fact think it could and should be higher.... Read jennjenn again.

Keep coming here and posting. Appreciate your updates and truly wish you my best, P

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello pregnant and lost. Just repeat of what other posters have replied. Having to get up multiple times every night to feed a new baby and just the stress of having a little one is enough to worry about. I don't think this is the time to think about tapering. I have had 4 sub doctors and all of them have worked with me to find the right dose. None has ever lowered my dose without my agreement.
I started at 16 mg and tapered slowly to 6 mg were I remained for several years. A couple years ago a resumed tapering with the goal of getting off. My experience was fortunate as I didn't have any discomfort tapering until I got under 3 mg a day. I am now stuck at 2 mg a day and okay with that dose.
I don't understand why your doctor won't raise your dose. Being on 8 mg vs 6 mg isn't any different as far as eventually tapering off. Dose of 8 mg vs 6 mg as far as your comfort could be significant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:21 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

do you mean you need to increase the dose because your body if now bigger?
it could be that you're gaining weight because you're happier now. when your stressed out and using its easy to keep the weight off.
I had a stressful couple years that caused me to use again. i was down to 115 when i was really stressed out. after 6 mo on subs i am at 155!!! my normal weight is around 135-140 though with no stress involved. i don't think more subs would help me with the weight. i'm only taking 1.6mg a day.
a dr did tell me that i may have gained more when i upped my lexapro from 10mg to 15mg. she said it turns off your "i'm full" i'm back to 10mg now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 pm 

Hi PandL, Glad you are doing so well! I am a big beautiful woman and have decreased my suboxone intake from 24mgs to 4mgs without an issue. We always hear that less is more with suboxone and I feel that I am proof that it is true!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you everyone. The entire reason he agreed to raise me to 6mg wss because the proof that increases in dose are needed during pregnancy. So i think that is why he wants to reduce me back down. I am no longer pregnant so i should no longer require the larger dose. But i struggle with cravings at 6mg as it is (mostly because of the pain at the end of the day...there is some relief with the suboxone). So i was wondering if being at a larger weight could mean a bigger dose is needed. I Just don't want to go down until i am ready. I want to be taking it at the same time everyday without temptation for deviating before i go down. Otherwise it will be a constant struggle of me taking more and then having to take less on other days, or getting an early filln etc. Just keep me at 6mg until i am good and ready. Damnet! And i am looking until other doctors without much luck.
My baby is doing fine... no NAS or very little of there was any. She is a pretty easy baby. It is my 3 year old that is kicking my ass. And i think i did a number to myself being induced (had to cuz my water broke but labor would not start), and then not getting an epidural. I went from a 3 to a 10 in about 3 hours and pushed for 20 minutes. I am thankful it was fast but it was also furious and not having anything to numb me down caused some serious locking up and tension in my body. I somehow have carpal tunnel in one wrist and tendonitis in both. And frequent headaches that start because of a weird neck thing that started after birth. So she is easy but all that pain is hard. Doc said he is being hard on me, like he is doing me a favor in the long run. But i don't appreciate it at all right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, all you need is stress free lifestyle. Didn’t understand initially why they want it lower but happy to hear it is working out for you. Love for the baby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:56 am 

Hey P&L,

Oh I understand the 3 yr old and baby issues...... it IS stressful, even if u have a good baby. But it will get easier and easier. I remember being stressed out and feeling like my job was a relief to just be away from little ones all day. I remember crying because I was so stressed out and a coworker of mine said.... Jennifer just remember this is temporary, it won't always be like this. Best encouragement I ever remember getting from someone. I wasn't addicted during that time thankfully.

Now I see why ur doctor is trying to cut u bk, but I still don't agree with him. Yeah he raised ur dose to 6mg because u were pregnant but u still need it to be 6.... and imo 6mg isn't some huge dose. I just don't see the rush. That whole 'you'll thank me for this later' is crap imo. What about now and ur recovery now, that's really important.

I don't think that weight is much of a factor in doses. Like being heavier or skinnier wouldn't affect the way ur dose works. I hope ur doctor will listen to ya and keep u at a dose ur comfortable on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with everyone else.... I don't think weight plays a large role, and I believe that this is the time to redue the dose. But I don't know if there are any good solutions.

Make certain that you optimize absorption of your dose. About 30% of each dose gets into your body, and rest is metabolized. Read about the topic here: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/optimizing-buprenorphine-absorption/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
I agree with everyone else.... I don't think weight plays a large role, and I believe that this is the time to redue the dose. But I don't know if there are any good solutions.

Make certain that you optimize absorption of your dose. About 30% of each dose gets into your body, and rest is metabolized. Read about the topic here: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/optimizing-buprenorphine-absorption/

Why is this the time to reduse the dose?
I really think i need to focus on other things right now, that will clear out some stress and help me deal with my anxiety better, before i start reducing down. Like:
1. get back into working or yoga out, which will hopefully help with my neck and rib issues. Like it did before.
2. Figure out my work situation over the next 2 months.
3. Actually process the death of my dad which happened two weeks before my baby was born
4. Be on a consistent dose, same time everyday (preferably one time instead of 2 or 3), and not deviating because of headaches, neck/back pain or exhaustion, before reducing my dose.
I think if my dose is reduced before i am really on a stable dose (taking it just like i do my Zoloft, and never because i hurt or whatever) there will be this constant battle of me taking over my fist then needing to reduce other days. Then running out early and thinking of it all the time. I think i need to focus on just getting to consistent dosing schedule, that stands up to even the most painful and exhausting days (shopping days! Phew!lol), before reducing down. I think if i do that then i might be able to actually taper down quickly instead of this long drawn out battle. Cause really...i have tried the slow taper already of reducing down just a little bit every few months. It has not worked. The focus needs to be just on me being totally consistent. Not with reducing down. I wish i could just poof my brain into thinking "hey...i take this once a day and dont even think of taking more or needing more" (wich is how i view my Zoloft), but i tried that shit and it doesn't work right now!
Maybe i am just one big excuse. Butt sorry...NOT READY. Need more counseling, and not even just got addiction. For depression and anxiety and wanting to cut myself. Yo.. back off damnet... sorry. Getting sassy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Also...I have read about getting better absorbtion by coating the inside of the mouth with your spit once it dissolves. I believe this has helped! Thank you for sharing this info!
I think I will get more and more adjusted but i really do need time. I had actually reached a really good place at one point (healtht eating, working out daily, feeling happy and full of life). But then I quit smoking and that jolted my system, and became pregnant which REALLY jolted my system. I am trying to recover from that. I need time. I don't plan on becoming pregnant ever again so from now until menopause I should be pretty able to better handle my pain, both physical and mental. So I would really appreciate 6 months or so before even talking about reducing.i have never stayed on one dose that long before and if the focus is on just being consistent on a same dose, same time every day instead of reducing i think that will help change how i view suboxone. If i can't do the implant i just need consistent dose for a good period of time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey P&L,
Applaud you for being sassy. I know you're here bc its a very stressful time (Dad's death, new baby and more), you're at 6mgs, want to stay there and upset bc your Dr is wanting you to decrease. I too noticed Dr J's wording and hopefully he will see your comments and clarify. IDK and can only tell you what my mind saw when I read it -- bc I'm so used to Dr J NOT recommending reducing doses at stressful times, I mentally added the text in brackets: 'and I [don't] believe that this is the time to redu[c}e the dose'. Or alternatively, when I reread it again, i then thought it might mean 'and I believe that this is the time to redue [re do, meaning for your Dr to reconsider] the [a higher] dose. Best. P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm 

I agree with pelican, that Dr Junig possibly meant re-do the dose. But I could be wrong :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya jennjenn, Dr J agreed to all our comments in this thread, which is what we'd expect based on his prior posts - he's said when someone is stressed - its a bad time to lower the bup dose so I think his is a mistype and I'm responding now to bump this post up to maybe catch his attention. Actually, this is my first time to deliberately bump a post. Just realized this! Best to all tonight, Peli

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for trying to bump the post up. I think i need to create a new thread. I want to reduce down but am having trouble staying at my 6mg dose. I want to find a thread where i can go for encouragement in reducing and what not. Or at least getting consistent. I keep stressing my body, getting sore, and taking more too try to dull the back pain so i can get my house chores done. Instead of just stopping. It is a bad cycle. I will try to find an appropriate thread.