It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Can't pay my mortgage
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I am here looking for some direction.

I have been addicted to painkillers for about 3-4 years. Mostly Percocet (10mg), when I can't get that I will take 30's or OC's. I am a professional who lives in the Boston area. I am out of money and was so overdue on the mortgage payment i went into default. Luckily I was able to get the payment by the skin of my teeth. I have no family to help with my child, I have a FT job and I am out of drugs/money.

I have been exploring the Suboxone treatment route but don't know where to begin. I am willing to go to my doc, walk into a clinic, I don't care what I have to do, I just want to do it the right way.

I just took my last 5mg. Vicodin and then that's it. Tomorrow is Monday and I am supposed to go to work at my high pressure job.

This is rock-bottom for me. I can't let my child down and can't lose my job.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know this is a forum for people who are in the program but I didn't know who else to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You are in the right place.

Start here:
http://www.suboxone.com/patients/opioid ... octor.aspx
http://www.suboxonedoctors.com/massachusetts

Find doctors close to you and call ALL of them. When I first started on suboxone, I was able to find the one doctor in my area that actually took insurance. I called literally 40-50 places. The rest were cash only. Some had $500 induction fees, and wanted you back every 2 weeks for another $100. Others had $100 induction fees and then monthly visits for $75, so it can vary wildly from doctor to doctor. Tell them your situation and that you will be entering withdrawal today. When you induct, you should be in withdrawal for at least 24 hours, so if you can get an appointment tomorrow, that would probably be perfect.

It sounds like your dose was not crazy high. Because of this, I suggest starting on as low a dose of sub as possible. I was doing 360mg of oxy a day for the last year of my 6 year run and needed 32mg for a few days to feel ok, but quickly tapered to 16, then 8 by 2-3 weeks. 8 months later I'm down to 1 mg. Just for some perspective. Even if you need 8mg a day to feel ok the first few days, try to get it as low as possible after you stabilize. It will only make your taper and eventual jump (if that's the plan) that much easier. Everyone is different, but it's really easy to take more suboxone than necessary, which only makes getting off it that much harder. I had some clean months during my 6 year run and now know I was always doing way too much.

There is a ton of information and many knowledgable, experienced, good people here. Stick around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much. I am freaking out about just making the call, but I'm going to. I hope they are open on Sundays.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I didn't even think about that. I literally was awake for like 10 minutes when I wrote that, so all of my intellectual faculties were not present, sorry.

Some may have a receptionist there taking appointments, however.

WIth that said, don't freak out about it at all. They've dealt with hundreds or more likely thousands of other addicts, and know the drill. There is no reason to be embarrassed, you're not alone and they know that. From my experience, I've never felt judged. In contrast, the receptionists and doctors have always been very pleasant with me. Just call, be friendly with the receptionist and inquire about how their program works. Costs, how often you visit, and any other questions you have. I would usually basically just ask the receptionist how Dr. _____ runs his program and what he expects of his patients. Some require NA meetings and drug tests. Some will only make you come in every 2 months. It really does vary wildly. If you can take a day tomorrow, I would recommend waking up early (which will probably happen anyway if you're in withdrawal... no sleep) and call a bunch of places until you find one who is reasonably priced and doesn't expect too much from their patients. I understand doctors wanting to help people, but I don't need visits every 2 weeks and drug tests, or mandatory NA meetings. If that's what you're looking for though, it might be available to you. Personally, I prefer my autonomy and just updating the doctor with my progress quickly when I see him every month or 2. This forum and my own willpower and research have been my real doctor. There is more information here than most doctors could dream of knowing.

Keep us posted on your experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

broseph wrote:
I didn't even think about that. I literally was awake for like 10 minutes when I wrote that, so all of my intellectual faculties were not present, sorry.

Some may have a receptionist there taking appointments, however.

WIth that said, don't freak out about it at all. They've dealt with hundreds or more likely thousands of other addicts, and know the drill. There is no reason to be embarrassed, you're not alone and they know that. From my experience, I've never felt judged. In contrast, the receptionists and doctors have always been very pleasant with me. Just call, be friendly with the receptionist and inquire about how their program works. Costs, how often you visit, and any other questions you have. I would usually basically just ask the receptionist how Dr. _____ runs his program and what he expects of his patients. Some require NA meetings and drug tests. Some will only make you come in every 2 months. It really does vary wildly. If you can take a day tomorrow, I would recommend waking up early (which will probably happen anyway if you're in withdrawal... no sleep) and call a bunch of places until you find one who is reasonably priced and doesn't expect too much from their patients. I understand doctors wanting to help people, but I don't need visits every 2 weeks and drug tests, or mandatory NA meetings. If that's what you're looking for though, it might be available to you. Personally, I prefer my autonomy and just updating the doctor with my progress quickly when I see him every month or 2. This forum and my own willpower and research have been my real doctor. There is more information here than most doctors could dream of knowing.

Keep us posted on your experience.

Everything here, is true.
really!! especially the part, where you really need to be your own "advocate'' meaning, your own research, and everything.
Im on a long term plan with suboxone. I used needles at the end of my addicition, and there wasnt anything I wouldnt give up, for opiates.
sad, I know. But the last 16 months, (almost) have been my best, ever. And most of that is due, to being on suboxone. It wasnt easy for me, at first. And I had no acess to the internet, I just took the leap. I saw a friend, that I had used with, change dramatically, over about three months. I just ran into her once and awhile, and all of a sudden she had a job, a car, her kids back, ETC.
I wanted that. I thought it was impossible, but she gave me the referall, and I did it.
never looked back, basically.
Anyways, you've gotten some really good advice, let us know if you have any other questions.
I know
its scary and confusing. Your about to change everything you know, everything thats made you 'able to deal' for the last however long, will be gone.
but you can do it, If I can, ANYBODY can.

Good luck

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the advice. I researched some places nearby and am going to call. You don't even know how thankful I am that there are people out there that took time out of their day to write back to me. Thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's been a day and a half. I had to go cold turkey. I think I had tapered enough as it wasn't as bad as the last times. I'm not feeling too bad today (so far). I had to work yesterday and it sucked, I stayed in my office and could only do enough to get by. I really don't want to go to work today but I feel like if I stay home all I will think about is the nightmare that has become my life. I'm not really sure what to do at this point about getting the "tools" I need to stay sober. I have heard that the NA meetings in my area are a joke. What has helped me the most is reading through these threads, so thanks for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello 7to11, I was just wondering if you had made an appointment or even found a doctor yet? I hope so. I just wanted to say hello, welcome to the forum, and let you know that you have a ton of support here. NA seems to be hit or miss. It's a huge miss in my area. So is AA. Too clicky and infantile for me. I choose this forum and my addiction counselor for support. My family is pretty great too. The longer you are on here, the more people you will get to know. Some personally. Take it easy and slow. No rush. Dont start stressing all the fine details. Step one is get a doctor and get induced. Let us know how you are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didnt find a doc yet. I took today off To do that, I just can't do it at work because I'm either constantly interrupted or I procrastinate! Plus, I'm just wiped out. I'm going to make some calls today.
Thanks for checking in Kelly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Found some doctors, thanks to you now to make the call. What do I say? I'm sooo nervous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I did it. I made the call. The only doc I can find nearby has all these fees and wants weekly visits for 4 months. Is this just nickel and diming or should I hold out for another one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would HIGHLY recommend calling a BUNCH of other doctors. As I said, they vary wildly. Weekly visits for 4 months is absurd and unnecessary. Don't be nervous or embarrassed. The more calls you make the more you'll get the hang of it. You should be able to find one that will have an induction fee of $100-$200 and monthly visits of $75-$100. There are a bunch around me that do that, but they are in the minority. I literally have like 50 in a 20 mile radius though. However if you have to drive a little bit to save hundreds of dollars per month, it's worth it. The guy charging less probably also cares a little bit more, ironically. At least that's been the experience of my friends and I.

Call everyone in a 30 mile radius until you find one with a reasonable price and a friendly receptionist. Your doctor is out there, you just have to find him/her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I called about 10 so far, they are booked solid! It fucking figures that when i finally have the balls to call, everyone else already did! Wtf? Lol. Still calling! Thanks Bro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, The government really needs to allow doctors to up the amount of suboxone patients they can see over 100 if they've been doing it for 5+ years or something. or allow them to add 10 a year up to 200. Something, because so many are full these days.

Keep calling until you find one that's reasonable. If you can't, settle and spend the next month calling the ones with reasonable prices every day to see if they have a spot open. One of my friends had to do that once, but 10 days later he was in.

Keep us posted, STAY STRONG AND GOOD LUCK!