It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have 1st appointment tomorrow. I havent taken anything in 7days. But I what I used to take fluctuate between 60-250mg of percocet. I went though severe withdrawals for 3 or 4 days. I'm thinking since Im not in severe withdrawals I wont be prescribed what I need to stay off the opiates. What determines what I am prescribed? Drug test? Physical appearance or symptoms? What to expect?

Thanks in advance. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Mike -

When it comes to withdrawal symptoms, I don't think you will get a blood test.. I am not a doctor.

You can search the net for COWS (not the animals). Here is a line from the NCBI:

"The clinical opiate withdrawal scale (COWS) is a clinician-administered, pen and paper instrument that rates eleven common opiate withdrawal signs or symptoms."

Are you going to a doctor who is authorized to prescribe Suboxone? If that is the case, you may be prescribed that medication to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Again, it all depends on where you are going, and what the goal is in mind.

Most of us here - obviously - went to a doctor (most of us anyway) - searching for a way to help with the addiction/dependency of opiates. Most of us did not wait as long as you did! 24 hours for most of us, then the Suboxone returned us to 'normal' no high, etc.

Let us know how you do at the doctors. If you are heading to a pain clinic type doctor- or someone who is suboxone authorized and can prescribe for you, then here is what I experienced (hopefully the same for you)

1- Professional help
2- The doctor will visit with you and ensure you are being honest
3- Probably explain that Suboxone is not the cure, rather one tool in the fight of addiction/dependency.
4- Prescribe - maybe a week of medication for you with instructions (under the tongue for absorption, etc.)

I was not 'shamed' or anything. My doctor knew that for someone to reach out for help, honest help, then they want help - and that's what doctors are for.

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. All the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 pm 
Hi Mike. If you're going to a doctor who is authorized and qualified to prescribe Suboxone, you should be fine. Obviously the worst of your physical withdrawal symptoms are overwith so you're not going to be going in tomorrow in full blown withdrawal. It sounds like your oxycodone habit was pretty big and if you've been on that much for any length of time you know that getting through those horrible wd after a few days is only the beginning of actually staying clean!
You need to tell your doctor exactly what you've been doing and for how long. You'll need to tell him about any previous attempts to stay clean, relapses, etc. Some doctors require a drug test to make sure you're not on any other illicit drugs, esp benzos. But some don't (mine didn't, just took my word for it). As Lathedude said, the doctor (if he's any good) will listen to you, not shame you or make you feel bad in any way. He should be impressed with your taking this first step to getting better. Make sure he knows that you understand (I'm assuming you do) that yeah, you know the worst of your withdrawals are over but you've not been able to stay clean before (another assumption) because of post acute withdrawals or whatever you feel the reasons may be.
Some doctors will give you your first dose of Suboxone in the office to make sure you have no untoward effects, watch you for an hour or so, repeat the dose if needed, then send you out the door with a prescription and another appointment to see him again soon. Some others will just give you the Rx and let you take your first dose at home. A couple of the biggest things to know: You must NOT take the Suboxone if you've taken an short-acting opiate in the last 24 hours (give or take) or longer if you've taken an extended release opiate. You must take Suboxone under the tongue (do not swallow it whole, snort it or inject it!)
Obviously there's more involved, but those are a few things to get you started. Follow your doctor's instructions but you can always check with us here for more information. If you'll take the time to read as many of the posts on this forum as you can, you'll get off your computer knowing a WHOLE LOT more than you did when you started!
Wishing you the best for your appointment tomorrow! Check back in and tell us more of your story. If I have made incorrect assumptions - I apologize!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks alot guys, I will let you know how it all works out :D