It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been agonizing over this for quite some time. I weigh more than when I was prescribed my current dosage and it doesn't seem to be working as well. I was wondering also because I moved can a new Dr raise it or wil my former Dr need to concur with my new Dr thanks a

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Soicanbefree,

Sorry you are agonizing. Are you asking if an increase in body weight may create a need for a higher bup dose? If so, hopefully one of the experts here will come along with the right answer. My understanding is that bup goes to the body's opiate receptors and is not affected by an increase in body mass but I am no expert.

I would expect your new bup doc can change your dose wo a need to contact your prior doc. When I moved while on bup, I had to provide my prior bup records but I am not sure that is the norm.

More info will better help us help you. How long on bup, and a bit on your bup dose history, past/current dose etc... and more on whats happening that you feel the need for more. Lots of incredible help here and the more info you can give us the more we can help! Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:03 pm 

Like pelican said, I don't think ur weight matters about ur dose but I'm not a dr either, that's just a guess. I'm also pretty sure that if u switch to another dr, the new dr can prescribe u a higher dose than what ur currently on if he thinks u need it adjusted. I think it's all up to each individual dr. Hopefully Dr J can help u out with a better for sure answer.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree-- the dose doesn't have much (if anything) to do with weight. To be honest, the dose probably is mostly-related to the bias of the physician! Some docs have it in their heads that the dose should be as low as possible. Others seem to do whatever patients ask, even when the dose is ridiculously high. The dose is determined by clinical impression. if a patient complains of withdrawal between doses, doctors have to decide whether they are having true withdrawal, or if instead they are consciously or unconsciously asking for too high of a dose.

But there is no regulatory body out there that makes sure doctors agree on things. If a doctor stops treating a patient, and a new doctor takes over that patient's care, the prior doc's opinion doesn't mean anything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:54 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank-you all for answering my question although ts been awhile since I have checked in