It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new to this forum and have been doing a lot of research on how to get off suboxone with the littlest amout of withdrawels. I just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant, I am currently only taking .50 a day and some days .75. (less then 1mg). I read online that if you take methadone for 3-5 days after you stop taking suboxone that you will not have any withdrawals. But you have to be careful to not take it to long that you don't develop a dependency for methadone. Does anyone know anything about this? Is this true or false? Is it bad for the baby )I have been taking subs for one year, and managed to get done under 1 mg, and I feel good, my main concern is the well being of my unborn child. I have made the decision that I will not deliver on subs. I am also trying to figure out that if the methadone is a bad idea, then when is the best time to completely ween myself off of the subs (1st trimester or 2nd trimester). If anyone had any insight on this, I would really apprecaite any responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello kimbud and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your pregnancy! I believe that like your other post of a similar nature, these are questions to ask a doctor (maybe a high risk OB). I don't think there are any people on this forum (with the exception of Dr. J) that can give you any solid advice on when to stop the sub.

I will say this: Have you switched to subutex yet, even if only for a short time? Most if not all pregnant women switch from suboxone to subutex. From what I have read, it is best not to try to go off sub while pregnant. HOWEVER, you are at a very low dose and perhaps it is possible for you to do it safely for yourself and the baby. When it comes to which trimester is best to stop it, again, that is a question for a qualified medical professional.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I do wish you the very best. Please let us know what you find out. Whatever your doctor tells you or how s/he answers your questions could be helpful information to have on this forum. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Kimbud, Congrats on your pregnancy! It is scary to face the trials and tribulations of pregnancy, then to add suboxone to everything can feel overwhelming, at least for me. I can't give you any advice, but I can tell you about my own experience, and advise you to talk to your doctor. I was on suboxone for over two years before I got pregnant, 4mg. I went right to my sub doc as soon as I found out, and switched to subutex, but stayed at 4mg. I read the research he gave me, plus spoke to a perinatalogist about being on buprenorphine while pregnant. I felt I was in good hands, and I was reassured that it was better for me to stay on bupe during pregnancy for several reasons- the possibility of relapse being the least of them. All of the research showed that the chance of my baby having NAS would be pretty low. But when I finally learned about the treatment of NAS, I freaked out. Now I am making every effort to lower my dose, since complete withdrawal for me at this point (32 weeks pg) is next to impossible.

That's my situation. I will say I would be so happy and feel so confident if I were on 1 mg like you! That's terrific. Also I read that it is safest to ween off in the second trimester. I would ask your doctor about that, but I will tell you that you'll feel a LOT better around 16-20 weeks than you do in the beginning!

I am sorry I don't have any info about methadone. I had never heard about using it to treat w/d from suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention my thoughts about using methadone to get off suboxone. Like bupemom, I've never heard of it being used for that. Methadone, like suboxone, has a long half life. I can say that I've heard that methadone withdrawal is way worse than full agonist withdrawal. And suboxone is not as bad as full agonist withdrawal. I'm not doctor or anything, but I don't see how methadone would be a good way to get off sub. Just my personal thoughts. Good luck! And again, congratulations.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: sub and pregnancy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. My sub doctor is horrible so I am going to try a new doctor and see what he says. I will post once I see him. THanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I apologize for not reading more of the replies but I just have to say two things right off the bat:

Taking methadone at this point would most likely be more harmful than good to for you and the baby because it is a much stronger medication than subs and the goal during pregnancy is always to keep withdrawal away-but with the least possible medication...continuing to be in withdrawals this early in a pregnancy (when spontaneous abortion is already a risk) isn't doing you any favors either....but taking methadone on such a low tolerence is NEVER EVER EVER a good idea. It's a drug that can save ruined lives (my own), but it MUST be respected for the powerful medication it is!

You need to get to a doctor and you need to do it NOW. Thankfully doctors that know anything about opiate addiction or dependency during pregnancy, also know that your best bet is to continue treatment while your pregnant on a medication that is the least harmful to your fetus but also matches your tolerence level....withdrawal is far more devastating to a pregnancy than purposeful small doses of medication are-

If all else fails get your butt to an ER if you have already dropped your doctor and don't have medication. I am not kidding...because being on Suboxone or Methadone treatment while your pregnant or parenting doesn't make you a bad mother, but if you continue to ignore the reality of your situation it COULD mean your not quite ready yet to put your childs needs infront of your own....this is just one of many times in your life over the next 18yo when your going to have to swallow your own pride and do what is best for your kiddo. good luck!