It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After being on and off prescription Hydrocodone, Liquid Lortab, OxyContin and Tramadol for about seven years. I've realized I need to get on a Suboxone program. I talked to my General Practicioner (who is 90 min. away) and met twice with my partner's Nurse Practicioner, she ordered blood and urine tests (no problem), I am held up a bit because I need a faxed referral from my Psychiatrist-I've seen her for over 10 years and continue to see her, but she's always "antsy" about doing paperwork regarding opioids (despite the fact she got me hooked on Hydrocodone originally.)

My problems are:
1) The doctors the Suboxone website recommends have a policy of no patient taking Suboxone for more than a year. I need help from the people in the Suboxone company to actually find a doctor who understands that after seven years-I'm probably going to need Suboxone for life.

2) The other problem is my partner does not believe I am addicted. Because I currently take 400 mg. a day of Tramadol (my prescribed dose is 200 mg.), but aren't a heroin addict, he has convinced himself and is trying to convince my family that I am over reacting and doing this to create "drama." He's also angry that I passed up a chance to goon Suboxone with his doctor last summer-but, I was too bull-headed and still believed the "cold turkey" method would work.

He also told me that he needs an increasing amount of suboxone because-as with Lortab-he's building up a tolerance to it and is experiencing the wrenching withdrawal symptoms when he is due for another dose. This really frightens me-I hoped to find a correct dose and stick with it for life. He tells me, based on his own experience, I will be exchanging one pill for another and will end up in the same place. He also said that because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and took opiates for so many years: I have caused permanent brain and neurological damage.

Either way, I am about to go over a waterfall. I am taking Tramadol given to me by a relative plus my prescription, but I can't sustain this. That extra Tramadol will run out next week. Suboxone sounds so good, but I really need more support from the company in finding a doctor who will subscribe it-their list is not up-to-date and it doesn't mention the doctors who want people on Suboxone temporarily. That won't help me: I willhave to handle Tramadol everyday because two of my dogs take it for arthritis. I would rather kill myself than steal pain medicine from my beloved dogs.

The stress at home is unbearable, my partner is going to use a guest bedroom, because he is too disgusted to sleep with me-because I took an extra 8 months to get on a Suboxone program! I could have done it with him. I should have. It's too late-his doctor already has 100 patients. I'm trying so hard-have had all the blood, urine tests, hoping for the Psychiatrist's referral so I don't have to be delayed in starting a program. But, I am afraid that I will "taper up" like my partner has and end up worse off. I really thought Suboxone avoided that-doesn't it?

And what's the point if none of the doctors on the Suboxone website believe in the lifetime maintenance dose. I am more scared and depressed each day. Getting into a Suboxone program may be out of my reach.

Not sure I'll make it to the finish line. Some people on other message boards talked about taking their whole supply of Opiods at once and trying to escape through suicide. I don't want it to come to that. I am seeing less and less hope by the day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would be happy to help you find someone, I have some free time on my hands...

I had to call 84 dr.s