It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all and thanks in advance to any and all answers. Let me start from the beginning. Last year, I found out I was pregnant around Jan '13 & I was on the methadone program in my area of Houston, TX. I did not like the research findings on NAS withdrawal and newborns born on methadone, so I decided to quit going there and find a suboxone dr. I found one through www.suboxone.com, who took my insurance, at the time, U.Healthcare. The thing was, since I was pregnant, I had to go through the University of TX medical board to find a dr who would treat me. Through UT physicians I found a dr who would prescribe me subs while pregnant --however upon me giving birth in October of last yr, he cut me off as he told me he was never really supposed to be preacribing them to me and that he could not so it anymore. I was so mad and kept calling him to inquire how did he even prescribe them to me in the first place? And he said his team of doctors advised him to quit giving them to me because he hadn't ever taken the 8hr class to be able to prescribe the medication to me and he only did it because of the dire situation I had found myself in (pregnant), and oh yeah, because he took my great insurance. Needless to say, this time around, this doctor won't help me at all. I am 17 weeks pregnant and in the 6mo in between pregnancies, I was buying off the streets...but now that I have an OB/GYN who knows I take them and seeing as I want to do things straight up and the right way, I want to desperately find a prescribing doctor while pregnant.The problem is that I no longer am working at the job where I was insured by United Healthcare and now am on government assistance. I am on medicaid through United Healthcare and so far, I have had no luck finding anyone who will prescribe me suboxone while pregnant. I call the office, tell them I am out of meds, what insurance I have and mention the pregnancy and they all refuse to see me as a patient. Now, at this point I am not really showing yet and could lie and get it; but eventually I will be showing and you can see how this is quite the predicament. I am inquiring to see if anyone knows a way to help me find a doctor who will see me while pregnant and who takes medicaid in Houston, TX. I called medicaid and have called 15-20 doctors all to no avail!! No one seema to be taking new medicaid patients or they want $300-400 to be seen, which I don't have, or they will not see me bc I am pregnant. The baby last time was born without NAS and was 100% healthy so I know it will be the same with this baby because I am only taking half of the 8mg strip of suboxone and during the last 6-8wks, I cut way back. I am in dire need of help. Please, if anyone can offer some insight as to what I should do, please comment. -Meghan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Meghan,

Your story is heartbreaking to me. How can these so called "doctors" refuse a woman carrying a child that is trying to better her life. It seems it all comes down to money in most cases. If you can't afford the cash to get in the office, then your in trouble. Makes me literally sick Meghan.

I can be of very little help to you as I live in another part of the US, but I wanted to welcome you here, and let you know you had someone that truly cares and was supporting you. I hope you can find the answers you need. I do take Suboxone myself, but haven't had the priveledge of having a baby as of yet. I wish I could be of more help to you, I really, really do.

Hopefully someone will jump in here that does have some answers for you. Lots of well-educated members here with lots of suggestions, and they have helped me so much. You just might find someone living in TX that knows of a doctor that would see you. I sure hope so anyway.

You take care of yourself and please keep us updated with your progress. I wish you the absolute best and hope it all works out for you quickly!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you, Karen, I really appreciate what you said. I know it's really hard to keep your sanity over all of this, especially during pregnancy, and I wish more doctors understood that just because someone is pregnant doesn't mean it's going to come back on them if they prescribe them suboxone. I guess it scares them? I really don't know what it is...I just know that if they have prescribing abilities they already know that withdrawal is dangerous to a baby in utero and could potentially lead to miscarriage -which horrifies me beyond belief. Tomorrow, I go to my OB for my 18 week check up and when I know more on how the baby's doing I'll report back :) As of now, I can feel tiny movements and all is well otherwise. I'm going to try to call Medicaid and see if they can help me out and if that leads to a dead end, then I will try the suboxone website. At this point; if I absolutely cannot find one doc who takes Medicaid and who will accept a pregnant sub patient, I'll go back to my old methadone program bc they do offer suboxone treatment for a fee as well. It is just very expensive, something like $360 per month. If that's all I can do, so be it. I hope I can find a doctor who takes my insurance though bc believe me, Medicaid was my last resort because here in TX, pregnancy is seen as a pre-existing condition and therefore is uninsurable --or I would have chosen blue cross blue shield or some other private insurance to cover me. Thank you for being so kind, it did certainly lift my spirits :) Meghan

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Meghan,

Is there any way your OB/GYN can help you find a sub doc in the immediate area where you live? Can they be of any help with that? I would think someone in the office would know of another doctor that may prescribe the subs you need and be willing to help.

Other than not telling a doctor that your preggo and getting an appointment, I don't know what else to suggest. I sure hope someone here reads this and is able to help you. I can almost see the fear in your words and wish I could give you a great big hug.

You hang in there sweetie. I'm sure something will come up in your favor soon. Please let me know how this all turns out. I would be going bonkers if I were in your place right now. Don't give up trying ok Meghan. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen xoxo