It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Can't even use this site
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really like that this site exists and I like the people, but I've never been to a site with so many fucking advertisements at every turn. Every time I click a button a pop up add will pop up right there and make me accidentally press it. The amount of ads is insane like wtf. How much does it cost a month to run this site like I will throw up money if it means these ads go away they're ridiculous on my phone. I fuck these ads they are making me so annoyed and angry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It says this on the Board Index page:

"We put this forum together to raise awareness of the current epidemic of opioid dependence, to foster open discussion about the disease of addiction, and to further education about the proper use of buprenorphine. We receive no compensation from pharmaceutical companies, including Reckitt-Benckiser, the maker of Suboxone and Subutex. We receive no government funding or grant monies. We have no interest in furthering ANY agenda, other than a general goal of reducing the number of deaths from addiction. If you are interested in supporting this site through donations or advertising, please feel free to contact us at admin@suboxforum.com. Any relationship with advertisers will be disclosed here. All advertising at this time is with Google Adsense. If you are a billionaire, hate addiction and want to buy everyone a super-charged forum, we would be willing to struggle with the moral issues caused by accepting your generous gift."

It may not be perfect and may require a little patience, but at least you can feel assured that there are no corporate agendas being played out here. Just the free flowing of user generated content and information without the stain of greed from the pharmaceutical industry. And personally, I think it looks great on an iMac.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am 

I access this site through my iPhone every time I pretty much come here, and that's been at least 3 years. The ads aren't enough to bother me.

I've been on Pinterest and if I end up reading a blog and it takes me to one with so many ads that I can't even load the page..... now that's annoying, but this forums ads aren't anywhere near like those places.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I fuck these ads they are making me so annoyed and angry

You can curse until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned , seeker. But with every post lately you're increasing revealing your troll-ish tendencies.

(I quote you above so you don't have a chance to edit out the language. It should be there for all to see so people can draw their own conclusions.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 pm 

I agree Godfrey.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! Are you proud of yourself? What a lack of respect. There are people here that are concerned with problems about addiction & Suboxone. Seems you just need a place to vent, curse and be childish and this is not the place.

Queenie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for clarifying Suboxdoc.

Not that you should have to explain the reasons for the ads. I myself appreciate the time, money and effort you contribute to the forum and blogs.

And its fairly obvious why ads are everywhere, I would have thought, such as TV, radio, internet etc.

If I was getting agro over ads I would seriously have to take a look at my own issues with being irritated so easily.

I hope your ok Seeker, nothing worse than going through an angry time in life on your own. I hope you have support. Maybe some people here can help if you tell us what is really going on for you at the moment.

Take care

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
If I was getting agro over ads I would seriously have to take a look at my own issues with being irritated so easily.

This is the crux of the matter it seems to me. Life is full of annoying things...often little things... that can't be avoided. We can ignore them, or we can curse and scream and pound the floor which does no good. This latter strategy is outgrown by most 6 year olds.

Honestly though, it never would have occurred to me to be bothered by ads on this site...or really any site I choose to visit often...especially one that does so much good in the world. In fact I've never even noticed them. I guess I'm just not very observant. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I presume the ads are tailored to our browsing history. A couple sites I go to give me ads within seconds related to a web search I had done earlier.
Last week I had an ad for a rehab, turns out they are 12 step and abstinent based. I smirked knowing it cost them a few cents to have their ad on a pro sub site.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 am 

Great idea right Godfrey! Lol

Docm2 I noticed that too. I had no idea it worked that way until I started noticing ads related to something I'd googled previously...... like bunny toys. All of a sudden I started seeing ads from Chewy.com lol and I'd previously been to that website. I was thinking, wait a second this has got to be from my searching the night before. On my fiancées phone, his ads are lawnmower related a lot :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm 

Ditto Godfrey and Jenn..if help the forum Im all for it...
And DocM, that made me laugh out loud!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 pm 

Yes, I would "like" Doc's comment if I could.

But Dr. J. has explained more than once why that is quite impossible without completely overhauling (expensively) the whole forum. So don't ask! :D

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to pull a couple of the comments with suggestions because they violate Google policies. I appreciate the thought-- but I am not allowed to 'go there'!

I have considered adding 'like' buttons, and I'm open to suggestions. One problem is that one of the main reasons people use them is to increase use of the site through social media. One module puts 'likes' on Facebook, for example. Another puts them on Google plus. The consensus has always been that opening the site to social media would bring in unwanted attention, or interfere with the sense of anonymity and privacy. I'm open to discussing those issues, but I understand if the consensus is still the same.

I THINK there is a module that does 'likes' just within the forum, without connections to social media- but I can't remember if that was possible on this version of phpBB. I think I would have to upgrade to version 3; now I'm at the 14th revision of version 2, if I remember correctly. That upgrade cannot be done without starting over with the design elements of the site-- i.e. the background and logos, and all of the little images that have been added over the years-- at the head of categories and connected to each username. I just don't think that would be worth it. It isn't just the financial cost; that would be doable. My concern is that the identity of the forum would change in a big way.

Some day, though, this forum is going to get so 'heavy' that it goes down, and I have trouble finding someone on e-lance who can get it going again. At this point I've made a number of changes, and the more changes, the more chance that a new change will interfere with something. There are challenges, sometimes, to finding good help... I wrote about this before, but a couple years ago I needed help getting things running again and I went to e-lance to find someone expert with phpBB. The programmers from the Middle East are much less expensive; good experts in Pakistan charge about $20 per hour. But there is sometimes a language barrier when I've hired someone from a different country. In the US, the rates are around $80 per hour (and it took 15 hours that time, so the difference becomes significant!) So I got the less- expensive person, and he fixed the forum.... but a couple days later when I went to the forum, I was forwarded to a page filled with advertisements! I was very proud of myself-- I found a unique string of letters in the url that the site was forwarded to, and used that to search through all of the program files, and eventually found the bit of code that the guy inserted to redirect forum readers. i know this is confusing... but the bottom line is that when I hire someone to work on the forum, the entire forum is in that person's hands! I have to provide passwords-- not only to log on to the forum, but to go into my hosting account, where all of my web sites are located.

I just remembered another disaster about 3-4 years ago-- the guy I hired to work on my blog, Suboxone Talk Zone, accidentally deleted the entire site! He thought he was erasing his ftp account-- which is access to all the files-- but instead he deleted the entire directory. It took weeks to piece it together again from back-up files.

Work on the forum is also difficult because the databases are huge, containing hundreds of thousands of posts. I try to back it up now and then, but the databases are so large-- in the tens of gigabytes-- that it takes hours to download a backup file.

I've tried to decide how to handle that disaster if/when it occurs. One option would be to start over-- which would allow for a very stable, super-fast site. I've thought that I could put the old files into an archive site, where people can search for old threads. But even though people tend to focus on the newest threads, it would not feel the same using the forum without all of the data inside. Hopefully we can keep it running as it is!

Again, I'm sorry about removing a couple posts. Thanks for your support!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pertaining to "likes," I dunno. It's nice to be able to give someone credit for an on target post. Everyone appreciates a pat on the back once in a while. But for what it's worth I think I like the old fashioned method of just adding a post to that effect. That often leads the person who's expressing approval to elaborate on that approval a little, with maybe a further, deeper observation on some aspect of the topic at hand. That strikes me as more valuable than a simple "thumbs up' kind of deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You are right, this was actually intended to be a vent. I didn't know where to post it I was gonna post it in the Why The Anger thread. I don't know why I have become such a suicidal bitter angry person the past three months, but it's very obvious to me and I need help. It's like my spirit is being suffocated somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And I can't use a computer anymore because I've somehow developed tennis elbow or some sort of tendonitis since starting suboxone (I'm not attributing any of these side effects to sub, so nobody come at me saying I'm criticizing suboxone, it's like you get flagged for attributing a side effect to sub on here it's crazy) so I have to use my phone. And the pop up ad from Google takes up half of the screen, and then there's another ad in the top right corner and then the third forms a file so literally 70% of my phone screen is covered in ads, which makes my spelling and punctuation not that great on here, and then some asshole in another thread had the nerve to criticize me for using poor punctuation!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Seeker, I appreciate your honesty.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time with your physical and mental health at the moment.
I really hope you have someone to speak to about your problems but it sounds to me like you might benefit from some professional help. Suicidal ideation feels really bad and I know from experience. I have been seeing a psychologist for 3 years and I am so much better for it. I didn't think I needed help but then I had a family member die and I didn't care if I died too. Luckily I got the help I needed when I did.

I truly hope you find someone to support you through the darkness. Your worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've never looked at the site on my phone... I just pulled it up, and I see the ads. I'll give some thought to how they appear... I didn't realize that the mobile ads were so large. Just an FYI-- there are apps you can put on the phone that block ads. Seeker, thanks for revisiting the issue- and I hope you feel better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 am 

I don't think the ads on my iPhone are bad at all. I've been coming here for years only using my cell phone. I have laptops and one desktop (my sons are computer gamers and now each have a gaming computer so I have their old laptop and desktop...plenty of access) but I choose to access this forum through my phone because I'm used to the mobile version. The ads aren't that bad. Yes one pops up from time to time that I have to exit but if anyone floats the worldwide web, they should see this is nothing compared to others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Seeker11,

Don't get upset about your spelling. Most people use their phones and have the same probrem with typing..

you sure are one angry dude!

bd