It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

" reserves the right to test any employee for alcohol, drug or any controlled substance for all lawful reasons including but not limited to pre-employment specific incidents, probable cause and post-accident."

Going to apply for a job tomorrow, and they drug test. I was reading over their information of the drug test and found this. Does "controlled substance" mean they're looking for bupe? or?

Unless they mean they're looking for illegal use of controlled substances?

Any help on clearing this up would be great. I know a lot of employers dont even test for bupe cause its not on normal 5 panel tests. But this has me worried.... Also, doesn't HIPPA come into play here too? or?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:42 pm 

Hey DrPepper :)

I'm not much help on this but I'll answer what I know til someone comes along with more knowledge about it than me lol. I know some places, like factories or labor intensive places do drug tests if there's an accident on the job...drug test to see if u were under the influence of anything that could've caused the accident. Of course they'll probably drug test before ur hired, and they can drug test u at any time that there's a suspicion of any type of drug use. I know that's probably what u already knew, but just in case ya didn't.

As far as will bupe be included in those tests...possibly. Some places do but quiet a few doesn't. So that's kind of an unknown there. I'm assuming it'd be up to their policies on what kind of medications ur allowed to take regardless of if u have a script or not. My old job (which wasn't labor intensive) didn't allow any type of those medications even with a prescription, so it just depends on their policies I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I could be wrong, but I read 'controlled substance' as a medication that falls under the controlled substance act. I am not an expert on that law, but some chemicals are listed as having properties that present a risk to the public for one reason or another-- and that list gets updated now and then, as people find new seeds, tubers, or other molecules that tickle the brain.

HIPAA doesn't apply, as employers are not doctors or healthcare providers. HIPAA protects the information that you give healthcare providers; it doesn't keep other people from asking about your health problems.

The ADA-- Americans with Disabilities Act-- provides protection from being terminated because you have certain illnesses, including addiction. But the law does not protect people who are actively using, and impaired by addiction. You WOULD be protected from being fired for being an alcoholic, of your illness is treated and not impacting your ability to perform on the job. But a person is not protected if their addiction is likely to interfere with the job. I don't know how the law is written-- but someone with a history of opioid dependence can be denied a job as a pharmacist who works with opioids, for example.

I don't know if there are any other laws that provide privacy of healthcare information for employees-- but I can see where it would be difficult to implement that type of law, since employers are often self-insured, and so have knowledge of the blood pressure of every single employee....

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:23 am 

I just wanted to add a link to the SAMHSA's Rights for Individuals on Medication-Assisted Treatment:

http://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/fil ... e_0110.pdf

It's very informative!

Amy