It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: CALLING ALL ADDICTS...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

CALLING ALL ADDICTS...THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT SUBOXONE. I've been an addict of some sort since my mid 20's. My addictions were both healthy and unhealthy and included cigarettes, certain foods (ie. I'd only eat pizza for wks at a time then change to a different food), vitamins, exercise, cocaine and finally Oxycodone. For 7 years I was doing approx 90 Hydrocodone every day and after several failed attempts at quitting I began doing crack cocaine to avoid the unbearable withdrawals of the Hydro (I know, I'm a genius :) I did crack for approx 4 years. Then I was in an auto accident and started drinking, hoping it would help with the pain and help me sleep. I went to rehab and have been alcohol free since Aug 13, 2012. Then I had an operation about 1 1/2 yrs ago and was prescribed Oxy again. My daily intake quickly escalated to 50-60/day. I couldn't believe that I let it happen AGAIN and all of the negative feelings returned - guilt, shame, humiliation, self loathing, embarrassment every time I called my dealer etc. I would go to bed thinking "tomorrow I'll cut down" then I'd wake up and pop 15 Oxy then get out of bed to start my day. I'm not a bum on the street. I'm an intelligent, well dressed, successful mother, wife and business woman. ADDICTION DOESN'T DISCRIMINATE.
Now I'll get to the point of this post. I did a lot of research on Suboxone and read that it takes 24-48hrs to leave your system otherwise the Oxy won't have an effect on you. I would take my 12mg of Subs in the morning and at 7:00 that evening I'd pop 15-20 Oxy. This went on for 1 1/2 weeks. I started to feel like crap - throwing up, exhausted, moody, depressed etc. My doctor sent me for blood work and my liver enzymes were through the roof. My ALT was 6,300 and my AST was 5,700 (the norm is under 60). My doc said he didn't know how I was even standing and that I should have been unconscious and if I had gone directly to the hospital they would have given me a liver transplant immediately. Fortunately, I knew I was fooling the system and the joke was on me and it terrified me. He took me off the Subs for 2 weeks (I still did the Oxy) and ck'd my levels again and this time my ALT and AST were 308 and 47 respectively. 2 weeks later, I had cut back on the Oxy (20-30/day) and my levels went down to 37 and 31. I'm proud to say that I have been clean for 9 days and it's wonderful! My enzyme levels are 34 and 31 and all I need is 4mg of Suboxone per day.
This was a huge wake up call and I feel the need to spread the word. If you're serious about getting clean, Suboxone is the best product in the world. I felt absolutely no withdrawal symptoms except for intermittent sweating. A very small inconvenience for the incredible results. I'm finally free of Oxy (with zero cravings I might add). This is a miracle drug that I strongly recommend to anyone with this addiction. Also, try to keep your Subs intake to the bare minimum. You might think you want/need more but you don't - that's the addict in you talking. If you've made the decision to improve yourself and actually live your life, don't take it as a means to get high otherwise you're defeating the purpose and only fooling yourself. And stay busy!!! After my 1st dose I thought "now what am I going to do all day?" I was scared of being alone with my thoughts and myself but I'm past that. No matter what your circumstances are you're an amazing human being and you deserve this. You deserve it and so do your kids and your family. You're better than that. Take control, don't let it control you! Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

awesome post! congratulations on nine days being oxy free, :-) you should absolutely be proud of yourself! and so glad your liver tests are normal again too!
Buprenorphine can absolutely give a person their life back. it's ability to remove the cravings and obsession to use, and relief of painful withdrawal symptoms makes it an amazing tool to fight opiate addiction. I was lost in the hell of active addiction for nearly ten years, thinking there was no way out until I began treatment with subs, and I had my doubts that it would work since nothing else had ever helped me before. Since beginning in October,I haven't had any slips whatsoever, and my life immediately improved. like you,I thought ok, now what do I do now that I'm not chasing pills and waiting for phone calls, and passing out? I have four kids and I decided to really get back into being a great mom. i have always been a good mom, but the last couple years of my active addiction, let's just say I could've been much better, more involved, etc. now I stay busy with band and baseball practice. love being the mom taxi driver and working full time( and actually saving money... what?), having sleepovers with the kids, going shopping, out to eat, even gone back to gardening, which I loved and completely ignored the last two years of my using! I go to therapy with my awesome psychiatrist every two weeks, and that's helping me so much to realize some of the reasons I was using( mostly to bury my head in the sand and pretend all my problems didn't exist or weren't as bad as I thought), the more I used the more depressed I became about my addiction, so I used more to forget I was depressed about using! crazy right? and learning ways to avoid falling into old habits. I could've never done any of these things while using. I'm so happy that now I can do all these things again without pill counting and clock watching for next dose. Staying busy is key for me also. I'm exhausted at the end of the day, but it's so worth it! I realized I'd been present, but not participating in my life for so long,and had missed so much! I'm so grateful everyday for the chance at living a real life again that sub has given to me, and for the positive experience I've had with this life saving medication. I'm so glad that your experience has been a good one as well, because I think it's important for people to read about all the positive things that bupe can do for them when used properly. it really can change your life for the better, and so many members here are living proof of that. You're so right.... we are worth it! We can change our lives for the better! We don't have to be slaves to our DOC anymore!

Thank you so much for your post, and welcome to our forum. you'll find caring knowledgeable members here, should you have any questions or just need some support. We celebrate each other's victories and offer advice and support for the tough times as well! I look forward to hearing more from/ about you/ your story! wishing you continued success.

Lizzie