It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Butrans?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I was talking to my doctor yesterday she mentioned that the drug reps came by marketing Butrans and that she had many questions about it that they were not able to answer. Anyhow, she was saying it is a patch that can be used for pain. Does anyone know how it works? Would it work better than taking 16mg per day via film? What is the deal with this new delivery system and what or who is it intended for?

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That might work. I'm pretty sure that Diary of a Quitter was in a clinical study for Butrans. I hope she's available to talk about it.

This is part of what I found about Butrans: "Butrans transdermal is used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain when treatment is needed around the clock."

So indeed it might be something that would work better for you - mostly because it's around the clock pain relief. I think it's worth checking out. You have a very resourceful doctor who obviously cares a great deal about you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's my understanding that Butrans delivers bupe in MICROGRAM doses. So if you are already taking 10 MILLIgrams a day, the effect of Butrans would be imperceptible. It might be a good tool for tapering though. Too bad you couldn't get a 24 hour delivery of high dose bupe (maybe the implant that's been talked about?)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I think LillyVal is right. Butrans delivers up to 1MG per 24 hour period and then there are patches with lower does (as low as .25MG per 24 hours I think). I would probably take a look at it if I were to decide to go back on Sub (from nothing) for pain control. It works below the ceiling - more like a full agonist - but longer acting. I am curious about it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is what I found for Butrans (I just checked online):

Table 5: (this is from http://www.rxlist.com/butrans-drug.htm)
Butrans Product Specifications
Buprenorphine Delivery Rate (mcg/hour)

Total Buprenorphine Content (mg)

Butrans 5 5
Butrans 10 10
Butrans 20 20

So the total Bupran mg is up to 20 mg. Now, I don't know if that means it releases 20 mg total over a 24 hour period or if it keeps a steady flow of up to 20 mg in the system.

I hope Dr. J sees this and weighs in with some facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

God I wish this would have existed BEFORE I went back on sub from nothing! Or maybe not. I only took the amount of sub I needed to control the neuropathy and it takes quite a bit to control it. At least 8mg per day if not 10mg depending. I'd probably be in the same situation I am in now. I mean, I started off at 4mg which is at the ceiling. So maybe this would have worked had I stayed under the ceiling to begin with. Grrrrrrr.

Although, if I could tolerate tapering, stopping again, maybe it could be done.

It would be really nice to have something you could just slap on and forget about. HOWEVER, my experience with nicotine patches is that they fall off all the time and you can't shower with them and you don't notice they fell off until all the sudden you are really uncomfortable and want to smoke really bad and then you look where the patch WAS and you are like....no wonder. Can you imagine having that problem with sub? No one would replace a lost patch.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Each patch is for 7 days, so the 20mg would give you almost 3mg/day. HOWEVER, I thinks it's all absorbed, unlike with sublingual dosing which is something like 30% I think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey - I have nothing valuable to add, just wanted to say that I was in the Probuphine study rather than the Butrans study. I got the implants, not the patch, and I either got the placebo or they didn't work.

I have, however, been thinking about asking my doctor about butrans for my fibro. But on the other hand, I don't know if I want to get involved with bupe again. We'll see I guess. They probably wouldn't give it to me anyway.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for clarifying that, Diary. I knew you were in some kind of bupe study...I was close anyway. Sorry about that.

Post subject: butrans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this forum has been inactive for over a month, but in the interest of accuracy I feel I must clarify some things for anyone who happens to view this.
1. Butrans is a transdermal (through the dermus aka skin) patch that gives a dose of 5, 10, or 20 mcg (MICROgrams) an hour.
2. You can NOT compare micrograms directly into the blood stream, or through the skin, to those ingested. The reasoning behind this is that much of a drug is not metabolized into the blood stream when it needs to go through your digestive system. It is similar to drugs given via IV compared to those in pill form.

Butrans is similar to stadol in patch form.

My sources for this information are, myself (a user of butrans), my mother (an anesthesia provider), and the butrans website.