It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Greetings, and thanks for this forum. I've been a lurker here for so long, and I'm finally jumping into the pool.

Like every other opiate-dependent person, I have a long and depressing story about my addiction. For introductory purposes, I'll just stick to the bullet-points:

* I'm male, 30-ish, and residing in a major American city. I work for a tech company.

* I began abusing opiates roughly around 2000 or 2001.

* I got started with Hydrocodone. I was younger than 21 when I first took a Vicodin. Before than I'd used alcohol and marijuana, but rarely to any destructive effect.

* I'd had back pain from teenage sports. Nothing debilitating--I wanted to try Vics because I wanted to try Vics. I was a kid. I had a friend a few years older who took Vics "for his back" (which was both true and misleading; he was an addict, of course, and so he took pain meds because he did have legitimate pain but also because he couldn't stop lest he go into withdrawal) and he sold me my first supply, ultimately introducing me to his dealer.

* I was mostly hooked on hydrocodone, but my "favorite" opiate dosage form was oxycodone, which I took heavily. I tried street heroin a couple times when I was out of pain meds, but ultimately, with the connections I had, pain meds were easier to buy than street heroin.

* After several years of taking opiate pain meds--and loving every minute of it (except when the supply would run out)--I discovered Fentanyl patches around 2005 or so. That's when things got worse than they'd ever been. Once hooked on the patches, I found that the withdrawal symptoms between supplies were so savage that I was either going to kill myself or get serious help.

* After doing some research that was so basic I couldn't figure out why I hadn't done it long before, I found out about Suboxone. In the throes of withdrawal, I reached out to a Subox Doc whose office was comically close to where I lived. I believe I walked to my first appointment.

* I was induced in 2006 and have been on Buprenorphine ever since. For me, it has been a miracle drug.

*I'm currently stabilized on 12 mgs a day (6 in the morning, 6 in the afternoon) of generic Subutex. I think I'd be more comfortable at a slightly higher dose, which my doc has always been great about. (I lucked out in the doctor department.)

I've left out much, but that's the basic idea. Again, thanks so much for this forum, and I can't wait to get to know everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 pm 
Welcome Kevin, I am glad you finally came on board. I am so glad to hear that you successfully got off the merry- go- round and got on board with the suboxone. You sound like you are in a very stable place. Opiate tolerance and withdrawal is horrific..... I am new here, long term on opiates, attempting a medical home detox in 21 days (or so) Hx of chronic pain and hopeful that with a ton of work, can try life off the opiates....

Best of luck to you and I will look forward to reading more of your posts!

Robin

Post subject: Welcome :)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:11 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

[font=Verdana] I just read your story, and wanted to welcome you.
I am new, too, to this forum.
I am currently on 2 mgs a day, and have been on Subox
for almost 7 yrs.- and I plan to be on it for as long as I can,
to be honest.
As well, I, too, lucked out in the doctor department-
my doctor's office is located just a few blocks away from
my home, and he is very cool.
[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm 
Average Poster