It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

GOOD DAY
A BRIEF HISTORY OF MY OPIATE ADDICTION AND DEPENDENCE: 18-19 YEARS OLD I WAS OBSESSED WITH PILLS
IN GENERAL AND OPIATES IN PARTICULAR , BUT HAD YET TO DEVELOP PHYSICAL DEPENDENCE. 20-24 YEARS OLD
I DEDICATED MYSELF TO DRINKING AND GETTING INTO TROUBLE, I BECAME A FULL BLOWN ALCOHOLIC AND IT
ALMOST KILLED ME. ENTER MORPHINE, HEROIN AND OXYCONTIN, IN MY MIND THESE WERE SAFER THAN ALCOHOL...
THE TRUTH IS THAT MY USE OF ALCOHOL WAS MORE DANGEROUS FOR OTHERS THAN IT WAS FOR ME.
ANYWAY, I CURTAILED MY DRINKING HABIT AND STARTED USING MORPHINE AT 24 YEARS OF AGE AND I MANAGED
TO KEEP IT RELATIVELY UNDER CONTROL FOR 2 YEARS. AT AGE 27 I EXPERIENCED WITHDRAWAL FOR THE FIRST
TIME, AND FROM THEN UNTIL NOW (I AM 37 YEARS OLD) EVERY ASPECT OF MY OPIATE ADDICTION AND DEPENDENCE
HAS WORSENED EXPONENTIALLY. FOR THE LAST 4 AND 1/2 YEARS I HAVE NOT GONE WITHOUT OPIATES FOR MORE
THAN ONE DAY . I WAS ON SUBOXONE THE FIRST TIME IN 2006-2008 BUT IT WAS DOOMED FROM THE START BECAUSE OF AN UNEDUCATED AND NEGLIGENT DOCTOR AND ANEGATIVE AND AMBIVALENT PATIENT(ME). IN 2008-2010(JUNE)I WENT BACK ON HIGH DOSES OF MORPHINE (700MG-800MG) JUNE 1ST 2010 I UNEXPECTEDLY WENT BACK ON SUB---- THIS TIME I AM ON SUBUTEX..8MG PER DAY...AND LET ME JUST SAY THAT I HAVE GONE FROM BEING THE WORLDS MOST DISGRUNTLED SUBOXONE 'PATIENT' TO A CONTENTED AND
CONFIDENT RECOVERED DOPE FIEND WHO JUST NEEDS MEDS (SUBUTEX)

HOWEVER I AM DEALING WITH SOME ENERGY AND MOOD ISSUES, WHICH I DO NOT NECESSARILY ATTRIBUTE TO
SUBUTEX, NEVERTHELESS I AM POSTING THIS IN ORDER TO DISCUSS NUTRITION AND ITS VITAL IMPORTANCE
TO A FULL RECOVERY REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ONE IS OR IS NOT IN 'O.R.T.' I THINK THAT NUTRITION IS AS
IMPORTANT TO A FULFILLING RECOVERY AS ANY SOCIAL SUPPORT GROUP SUCH AS A.A OR N.A.,ESPECIALLY IN
EARLY RECOVERY OR THE FIRST WEEK OR TWO OF HIGH DOSE BUPRENORPHINE THERAPY.I AM DOING MY BEST
TO EAT HEALTHY AND I PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE QUALITY OF THE VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS I TAKE.
ARE THERE ANY ARM-CHAIR NUTRITIONISTS OUT THERE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN VITAMINS,AMINO-ACIDS AND
FOOD AND HOW THESE CAN BOOST ENERGY AND MOOD AND PERHAPS OFFSET SOME OF THE COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
OF BUPRENORPHINE I.E. LETHARGY,MOODINESS, CONSTIPATION.I STARTED OMEGA-3 FISH OIL 14 DAYS AGO
YESTERDAY AND TODAY I HAVE FELT SIGNIFICANTLY MORE ENERGIZED AND IN A BRIGHTER MOOD---PROBABLY
WHY I POSTED THIS SUBJECT.THE MOST CHALLENGING SIDE EFFECTS OF BUPRENORPHINE FOR ME ARE LOWER
ENERGY RESERVES,CONSTIPATION AND SOME MOODINESS,NONE OF THESE ARE OVERWHELMING NOR DO I
SUFFER THEM EVERY DAY BUT THEY ARE REAL ENOUGH TO SEEK A NATURAL REMEDY.TODAY I ADDED L-TYROSINE
TO MY SUPPLEMENT REGIME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know much about nutrition, so I won't address that part of your post. But I did have one thought - others that have had some of the symptoms you're describing improved when they lowered their dose. Just a thought. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for responding.
I am adjusting my dose and I will report back when I notice a
significant change.
I am hoping that more people in the recovery community at large will take an interest in nutrition
and its importance for a full recovery. In my case I had mood problems prior to any opiate use or
mis-use.There are a few in the medical community who understand the fundamental necessity of giving
nutrition(good food and supplements) its proper place as the first line of defense (or offense for that matter)
in combating disease--including opiate dependence.
I am a content buprenorphine maintained, recovered opiate addict but the buprenorphine is not a panacea and
I truly believe that proper diet, moderate excercise and for most (including myself) neutriceutical supplementation is
necessary for a more fulfilling recovery. I will be disappointed if there are not other recovering addicts as interested in this
as I am. There should be an entire section devoted to this subject.NO?
Anyway,I started on a higher protein diet today.
I am reducing sugar.
I started on L-tyrosine
L-glutamine
omega-3 fish oil
hatmaker510- thank you for the advice; ironically I decided to increase my dose with no success
I will try reducing by a milligram thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

EIGHTMILESHIGH -

I am SO glad you posted this. The one thing I have really noticed that brings me down is NO energy. I am only on day 17 today and am on a higher dose (was on 24 but I have only taken 16 the last 3 days in hopes it will help), so I know it will get easier. But I was hopping there was something I could take to help with this because I also notice being rather moody. I do have a history of depression but I am afraid to take an antidepressant again because every time I have I end up feeling really dependent on it and for some reason I hated that. Weird, since I didn't mind being dependent on H! Who knows...but anyway I would like to be updated on how your Omega 3 and L-tyrosine go.

Have you read about 5-htp? ( http://www.herbalremedies.com/natural-m ... lizer.html) I have some at home and my hubby said it helps with mood and energy but I am afraid to take it because I don't know if it interacts with suboxone. Maybe if someone had insight that you can take the 2 together, you could try that? (unless you are taking anything else that increases serotonin levels)

Well, I wish you luck and hope to hear back.
I actually think that yesterday and today I feel less lethargic....so maybe the lower dose is helping!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HELLO MISS H- I HOPE THAT YOU CHECK BACK----I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT FOLLOWING UP SOONER.THANK YOU FOR THE
'LINK' I WILL DEFINITLEY CHECK IT OUT.
MY INTEREST IN NUTRITION BEGAN A FEW YEARS AGO AS A RESULT OF MY DESPERATE SEARCH FOR A LESS PAINFUL
DETOX PROTOCOL.I'VE LEARNED QUITE A BIT AND I AM JUST NOW (OVER THE LAST 2-4WEEKS) INVESTING IN THE
ACTUAL PRODUCTS I.E. MULTI-VITAMIN,VITAMIN-C,VITAMIN B-COMPLEX CALCIUM W/vit-d, MAGNESIUM, OMEGA-3
FISH-OIL, L-TYROSINE, L-GLUTAMINE, AND TAURINE. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO IS RESEARCH THE PRIMARY
SOURCE STUDIES AND READ AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. THE 'MOOD CURE' BY JULIA ROSS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK AND A
GREAT RESOURCE FOR RECOVERING ADDICTS.
THE COST OF MY SUPPLEMENTS ARE ROUGHLY $60.00 PER MONTH AND WORTH EVERY PENNY.I WENT FROM HIGH DOSES
OF MORPHINE, VALIUM, ADDERALL AND CIGARETTES EVERY DAY WITHOUT MISSING A DAY FOR 4.5 YEARS(I SMOKED
2 PACKS OF CAMEL NON-FILTERS FOR 20 + YEARS)TO 8MG OF BUPRENORPHINE LITERALLY OVERNIGHT(WITH THE EXCEPTION OF VALIUM ,I DID A 12 MONTH TAPER AND TOOK MY LAST DOSE JUNE 1 2010)SO NOW APART FROM VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS I ONLY TAKE 8 MG OF BUPRENORPHINE.I HONESTLY THOUGHT I WAS SCREWED FOR LIFE
I WAS ESPECIALLY FRIGHTENED OVER THE VALIUM WITHDRAWAL AND ACTUALLY I TOOK A REALLY EFFECTIVE AMINO-ACID BLEND FROM A COMPANY CALLED "POINT OF RETURN" THEY HAVE A GREAT WEBSITE.BUT I HAD FEW WITHDRAWL
EFFECTS FROM VALIUM DISCONTINUATION.THE MOST DIFFICULT ASIDE FROM OPIATES HAS BEEN TOBACCO ABSTINENCE SYNDROME, ITS ALSO A BIG REASON WHY I AM TAKING SUPPLEMENTS.
THE VITAMIN, MINERAL, AMINO-ACID AND OMEGA-3 FISH OIL SUPPLEMENT PROTOCOL THAT I FOLLOW IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MY RECOVERY. THE EFFECTS ARE SUBTLE AND THEY COME ON SLOWLY ---FOR ME ANYWAY--- AND IT
COSTS LESS THAN ONE WEEKS WORTH OF CIGARETTES. BUT BEST OF ALL I HAVE NOT HAD TO RESORT TO ANTI-DEPRESSANT MEDICATION -WHICH HAS NEVER WORKED FOR ME.
TO SUMMARIZE,YES I HAVE STARTED TO FEEL THE POSITIVE EFFECTS OF L-TYROSINE L-GLUTAMINE AND OMEGA-3 FISH
OIL - ESPECIALLY AS IT RELATES TOREDUCTION WITH STRESS REACTIONS---SINCE QUITTING THE 'CIGS' AND THE OPIATES, AMPHETAMINES AND BENZOS I HAVE HAD A SHORT ALMOST NON-EXSISTENT TEMPER---THAT IS PERHAPS THE MOST OBVIOUS POSITIVE AND OBJECTIVE IMPROVEMENT SINCE STARTING AMINO ACIDS SECOND MOST OBVIOUS AND OBJECTIVE IMPROVEMENT IS MY SLEEPING HYGEINE--I HAVE BEEN SLEEPING 100 % BETTER THIS LAST WEEK.
NEXT 'LEG' OF MY RECOVERY PLAN IS TO INSTITUTE REGULAR DAILY EXCERCISE---I WILL REPORT BACK SOON.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

MULTI-VITAMIN
VITAMIN-B COMPLEX
VITAMIN-C
CALCIUM W/vitamin d3
OMEGA-3 FISH OIL W/vitamin E (2-3 CAPS)
MAGNESIUM
L-TYROSINE 1000-2000MG
L-GLUTAMINE 500-1000MG

ON MOST DAYS I TAKE THESE SUPPLEMENTS AT 8:00 A.M. AND 2:00 PM
I AM NOT AS ACTIVE AS I WOULD LIKE TO BE (UNEMPLOYED) AS SOON AS I FIND EMPLOYMENT I WILL
PROBABLY INCREASE TO 3 TIMES PER DAY.

I WOULD BE TAKING THESE SUPPLEMENTS WHETHER I WAS ON BUPRENORPHINE OR NOT,AS I HAVE ALWAYS
STRUGGLED WITH UNPREDICTABLE MOOD SWINGS, GOING AS FAR BACK AS 6-7 YEARS OLD. AS A KID I HAD
MAJOR TEMPER TANTRUMS AND THIS WAS PRIOR TO ANY DRUG USE WHATSOEVER.I HAVE ALSO BEEN DIAGNOSED
WITH ADHD AND HAVE TRIED STIMULANTS SUCH AS ADDERALL AND RITALIN AND EVEN THE DRUG STRATERRA WITH
UNSATISFACTORY OUTCOMES.

THE POINT IS THAT ESSENTIAL VITAMINS, MINERALS AND AMINO-ACIDS ARE THE 'RAW' MATERIALS FOR THE PRODUCTION OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS SUCH AS DOPAMINE, SEROTONIN, GABA, ENDORPINS, CATECHOLAMINES ETC. THE MODERN DIET ---ESPECIALLY IN THE U.S.A.--DOES NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE AMOUNTS OF THESE VITAL NUTRIENTS AND BECAUSE OF THIS AND A MULTITUDE OF ENVIROMENTAL AND GENETIC FACTORS, MOST PEOPLE (IMO), AND IN PARTICULAR OPIATE DEPENDENT INDIVIDUALS,ARE WOEFULLY DEFICIENT IN THESE KEY NEUROTRANSMITTERS.

I BELIEVE THAT I WAS BORN WITH A DEFICIENCY OF ONE OR MORE OF THE KEY NEUROTRANSMITTERS OR I DEVELOPED
A DEFICIENCY AT AN EARLY AGE, BECAUSE LIKE I MENTIONED ABOVE, AS A YOUNG KID I WAS PAINFULLY MOODY AND
THREW TEMPER TANTRUMS REGULARLY AND I WAS UNBELIEVABLY HARD TO WAKE UP IN THE MORNING (MY MOM TELLS ME THAT SHE DREADED HAVING TO GET ME OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING)IT WASN'T UNTIL I HAD MY FIRST DRINK AT AGE 11 AND THEN MORE SIGNIFICANTLY MY FIRST OPIATE AT THE AGE OF 17 THAT I FELT COMFORTABLE IN MY OWN SKIN. I BELIEVE THAT ADDICTION IS A DISEASE OF NEUROTRANSMISSION. THAT IS TO SAY VERY SIMPLY THAT AN INDIVIDUAL IS EITHER BORN WITH OR DEVELOPS LATER A SIGNIFICANT DEFICIENCY IN ONE OR MORE KEY NEURO-
TRANSMITTER. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE, AND I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT FOR REAL ADDICTS
TO UNDERSTAND THERE AFFLICTION AND BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM AND WHY THEY TAKE
MEDICATION. IN MY EXPERIENCE THERE IS TOO MUCH AMBIVALENCE SURROUNDING THE TREATMENT OF OPIATE ADDICTION. OPIATE DEPENDENT INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE FINDING SUCCESS WITH BUPRENORPHINE OR METHADONE
SHOULD UNDERSTAND THERE 'PROBLEM' (disease) WHETHER THEY BELIEVE IT TO BE A DISEASE OR NOT, AND ALSO
HAVE THE PROPER LEVEL OF SELF CONFIDENCE AND PERSONAL CONVICTION ABOUT THE TREATMENT MODEL THAT THEY
HAVE CHOSEN FOR THEMSELVES (high dose buprenorphine for me) WITH NO APOLOGIES. THIS WOULD GO A LONG WAY
FOR THE MAINTENANCE MOVEMENT IN GENERAL AND THIS SITE HAS A LOT OF STRONG PROPONENTS....... SO THATS
GOOD.

I GUESS IM A LITTLE OFF TOPIC...... ANYWAY...............................

IN THE EVENING I TAKE 'TAURINE' TO HELP WITH SLEEP(I WAS HAVING SLEEP ISSUES RELATED TO BUPRENORPHINE)
500MG OF TAURINE HAS, WITHOUT DOUBT, HELPED RESOLVE SLEEP ISSUES.

Post subject: what is wrong
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You name it, I 've tried it. nothing works for energy, sleep, apettite. What gives? is it the subs? is it me? tried
Ambien, melatonin, can't take some herbal stuff cause i'm on blood thinners and I must stay on them. No energy & I mean none. I am an amputee anyway so how much can I do?

Sorry, i'm just so darned depressed & tired of being an addict. I just keep typing to keep distracted. All of you out there. Have hope. Love queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Nutrition is absolutly ESSENTIAL to your general well being. Most people don't look to their diet as the source of whatever is wrong with them, but most of the time it can be easily remedied with better eating habits, and perhaps a vitiman supplement. If you have low energy I highly suggest that you consider your diet to blame. Drink pleanty of water and stay active, and eat right. Your body will love you for it, and eventually we won't need any opiates to trick our bodys into feeling normal, we just will, naturally!! Good luck guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Which pills are best for a vegetarian who needs her omega 3? I'd also like to keep it somewhat on the cheap side, and tell me where I can buy it too please. If I took a pill though, would I need to also eat other omega 3's or would that be enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The closest thing I think you can take is Flaxseed oil, unless you want to consider krill oil, which is an excellent source, but very expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

queenie.. that last sentence was great. all we can do is have hope. =)