It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: buprenorphine implant
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Probuphine, an implant containing buprenorphine. It is supposed to be rod shaped and close to the size of a match stick I think. It goes underneath the skin in the arm.
Titan pharmaceuticals makes it, and I was wondering when it is going to be available. Also, would you be able to choose your dose. Specifically, could I get an implant that is good for six months, that would deliver a steady 1mg per day?

This would be a blessing for me, because it will truly help me get away from the ritualistic behavior of dosing every morning. I went on Titan pharmaceuticals web site a few years ago and always have been intrigued by the implant idea, and even wanted to buy stock in the company when I first heard about it, thinking that this is the future of treating opioid addiction. It seems like Titan is a quiet company though, because every time I have visited their site, they never seem to update anything on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mike,

I think Diary of a Quitter had an implant. I'm sure she'll chime in here and tell you more if its true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was in a clinical trial for Probuphine a couple of years ago. I wrote a pretty detailed account of the whole process on my blog:

http://bottlecappie.wordpress.com

start with the oldest entries.

The short story is: Yes it's about the size of a matchstick, they implant it under the skin of your upper arm (they numb the area first). I had four sticks implanted at first and then opted to have another added later. This was supposed to be the equivalent of 12-16mgs of buprenorphine daily.

I flunked out of the study either because I got the placebo sticks or because they just didn't work for me. They were not allowed to tell me which - in fact they didn't even know because it was a double-blind trial. My best friend was in the same study and she also failed out for the same reason.

Before we could get the implants we had to be stabilized on Suboxone. Then the implants were supposed to take over and we wouldn't need the suboxone any more. Unfortunately, that isn't what happened and we both ended up with withdrawals.

I know that there were other people in the study who did fine on the implants though and stayed with it.

Removal requires another incision, not a big deal.

As far as I know they are still in trials for the implants but only people who successfully completed the last phase of the trials can be in the current phase or something. You can google probuphine trials and see where they are going on and what the requirements are...but most trials aren't going to take you if you're already on Suboxone.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would have been so excited to be apart of that but destroyed to find out it didn't work...You are so brave.I am going to read your blog......just think if worked where we all might be today..but I am so much happy today than I have ever been bcause of this drug.....who knows what is next? Thanks diary....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FYI:

I just came across this from Dec. 1:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/172582.php

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.