It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Buprenorphine for my cat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My cat has been sick and the vet has ordered, among many other things, .3 mg of bup. She took a few minutes to explain to me what it was and that it was for pain. :roll:

Just thought it was interesting..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Buprenorphine has been used in vet medicine for a long time and is seemingly extremely effective; my dog has been given buprenorphine in both injectible form as well as a weird liquid drop to be placed in his mouth and absorbed sublingually.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had no idea. They printed out a long list of meds to give her and gave me the estimate and my eyes saw the buprenorphine first. lol

I'm not surprised it effective, good to know.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How did you guys get your dog or cat to hold the Bupe under their tongue? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My vet is administering the bup via IV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow!! I had no idea that could be done or even a possibility to give to cats because it is so strong and cats are fragile compared to humans. Whatever you do, don't give your cats aspirin or Tylenol/Advil because they are allergic and would almost immediately die. I didn't think they would be able to consume buprenorphine just by knowing that they're so sensitive to those other OTC pain killers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

interesting, my dog is hurt pretty bad and I'm giving her antibiotics now ( she has a gash in her leg, before the knee and just below the hip, that's probably 4" long and 2" wide, and maybe 1/2" deep). not sure what did it to her, but I've been using dermoplast spray and giving her antibiotic I got from a vet last year. I know it's a deep wound but we are making sure it stays clean and she takes the antibiotic no problem. I'm not trying suboxone or subutex with her. but this is interesting. she is finally starting to put weight on it and trotting now instead of limping and not wanting to lay down. at first she would just stand up for long periods . it's healing though.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

The title of this thread alone caused me to burst out laughing. They always gave my dog Tramadol, makes sense bup is just another thing to use. Must suck if the dog / cat gets hooked though. Think of your cat not sleeping for 6 days. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hahaha WantToBeFree,

The sleepless cat would look just like your sheep!

I was staying with my mom for a while about a year and a half ago. She has this fucking yip yappy dog who barks constantly and never sits the fuck down. One night I got so irritated that I put some bup dust on my finger and stuck it in her mouth. It didnt do a damn thing to chill that dog out. Now I kinda feel bad about this but its good to know that pets can tolerate bupe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

The buprenorphine my dog had was pretty interesting, it was a liquid in a big needleless-syringe, the vet told me to just put however many CC's into my dogs mouth every X hours and that it's extremely effectively absorbed through mucas membranes in the mouth and that even if a tiny bit gets absorbed it's 'extremely potent and effective.' I didn't go into any depth with the vet about the fact that I'm well versed in opioids or on human-buprenorphine myself as I thought it might negatively effect my dog getting adequate take-home pain relief. I do recall my dog sleeping way more than he did pre-buprenorphine and more or less being immobile for the 4ish days he was on it but he was also recovering after a surgery and likely in a lot of pain. From what I understand Dogs/Cats can't tollerate NSAIDS well due to something having to do with their kidneys or livers but some opioids are used for extreme pain in animals; I've heard about Tramadol used in animal pain as well. A friends cat had a seizure disorder later in her life and was given 5mg valium with the instructions to take 1/4 pill twice daily I believe, so pets can certainly take 'human meds' but in amounts fitting to their size...

Travis

(763)250.0702
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

We actually adopted one of our dogs from the animal shelter. He had such a sweet, loving, care-free and lazy personality. He also had a broken hip and was on tramadol.

I think we were a little scammed into this adoption.

The dog was AMAZING! Till the tramadol stopped about 2 months later. I swear to god this dog wen't insane. None of the attributes that originally attracted us to adopting him stuck. He became an annoying barker, a constant nagger, whiney, emotional, constant needy, never sleeping long, constantly moving STRAIGHT NUTCASE.

All in All dogs can obviously withdrawl, because I feel like i've been doing the same crap for the past 13 days.

I regret finding him a new home now. He was just going through doggy mania.

Oh well, life moves on...

WTBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow, that seems like a lot of bupe for a little cat, but im sure the vet knows what they are doing. My friends pitbull has eaten lots of benzos and clonodines off the table/his lap. I probably would haven taken my dog to the vet fearing an OD, but he said he wasn't worried b/c he always gets into pills and has always been fine. he was fine too he just laid around haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ Your friend has absolutely no right to be a pet owner. Jesus fucking Christ, I hope you're exaggerating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:04 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yeah, I mean accidents happen, but Jesus...Exercise some caution if you're lucky enough to be a pet owner. I wouldn't even let my dog in the same room with me when I was in the process of shooting up, after I was done I'd let him in and we'd cuddle, though! :)

Travis

(763)250.0702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally, I'd consider other recovery options before resorting to bupe for my pet. A well staged intervention for your animal can bring results, but you gotta be sneaky and get them to the table on the promise of a good meal. I was just sick of my dog bringing home strays at odd hours, and my stash always going missing and his constant denials even when I could see my coke caked all over his wet nose.

It's hard to take the moral high ground if your own recovery is struggling. One of my lower addiction moments was when I got stuck into my dog's prescribed valium (sadly this part is true).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sadly, TeeJay, you're not alone. I've resorted to pet meds before. Sigh.. I think it was 2001, I was sick, and when looking in the fridge for something to eat or drink, I saw little medicine bottles for the dog. One said "for pain".. Well, you can guess what happened after that. Not my finest hour but what can you do. It didn't even do anything. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeJay said, "Personally, I'd consider other recovery options before resorting to bupe for my pet. A well staged intervention for your animal can bring results, but you gotta be sneaky and get them to the table on the promise of a good meal. I was just sick of my dog bringing home strays at odd hours, and my stash always going missing and his constant denials even when I could see my coke caked all over his wet nose. "

OMGosh, I laughed so hard I blew snot when I read that last sentence!!! Hilarious!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAHA Doggie intervention would be great on animal planet.