It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Buprenorphine Detox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Greetings, I am posting this for others who are trying to kick buprenorphine. I recently went through the detox (still am actually) for buprenorphine is not a quick detox process by any means. I was on it for 2 and a half years. I am an ex heroin user who used for 8ys. So a couple years ago I went into rehab for heroin addiction and came out on bupe. The docs at rehab told me that bupe was going to save my life. They put me on 24mgs and told me to stay on it for at least 2yrs. Saying it was some sort of miracle drug that was going to rewire my brain. They claimed that after the two years I would be able to stop taking it with no problems. That couldn't have been farther from the truth. Luckily, I was smart enough not to sit on 24mgs long. After leaving rehab I cut my dose to 12mgs and then 8mgs. Over the 2 and a half years I was on it I tried numerous times on my own to come off it. I would wean myself down to 2mgs and then jump off. I never made it past day 10. The last year I had some personal issues and I went back up on my dose lingering between 8mg and 12mgs. I was also taking valium daily with the bupe (not much at all, around 20mgs), along with Dexedrine daily just so I could wake up ( dosing around 20 - 60mgs). I was living in a complete pharmaceutical trap and it was destroying my life. I woke up about 5 weeks and said to myself I cannot continue living (or lack there of) my life like this. I didn't plan to kick, I just did and I did it cold turkey off all 3 meds. I kicked the valium and the the dex on the same day then 7 days later I kicked the bupe. I didn't wean down on my bupe dose like I had in the past. I didn't have the time or the patience to deal with that drug another day of my life. I was in complete despair at this point. I didn't care about the pain I was going to endure, I had one goal in mind and that was to get free of all 3 of the drugs that had controlled my existence for the last couple years of my life. So I jumped off bupe at 12mgs. Now keep in mind that I was coming off the benzos almost exactly at the same time and the two detoxes mirror each other. Benzo detox can linger for weeks but I was through the worst on day 7 when I dropped off the bupe. I was still experiencing those baby seizures you get in your sleep. Oh and btw DO NOT EVER detox cold turkey at home off benzos! You can actually die coming off them. It isn't like opiates where you feel like you are dying but you aren't. Benzo detox is dangerous, you can have seizures (and most likely will). I had Depakote (an anti seizure medicine) on hand when I came off and still I was having the jerks.
Back to the bupe, the first 2 or 3 days I didn't feel much at all, because I have done this before I was well aware that the detox doesn't even start till the 3rd day because of the long half life. So day 4 it kicked in and it kicked in hard. Day 4 and 5, I had anxiety, restless legs, a temperature around 100 degrees with high blood pressure, nausea , cold sweats, bad insomnia (no sleep). Day 6 was abit better and then day 7 -10 once again were tough. Overall there are 7 days that are really tough, the most sleep I got during that time was 2 hours a night if I was lucky. Your energy is so low (probably due to the fact you are not sleeping) and the body aches make you feel like you are 90yrs old. It was hard for me to walk to the bathroom and it took all of my strength to take showers during that time but hot showers/baths help so much with the body aches that I forced myself to do it. After the nausea passed I started taking vitamins to help. So around day 12 things started to turn the corner and I was through the worse. At which point I was getting 3-4 hours of sleep. My blood pressure started coming back down and so did my temperature (i still had one but it was down around 95 at that point) . I would get the goose bumps alot still and was overall extremely cold in the middle of July. Around day 14 things started to get better again, I started having "good" days and nights (where I was getting a good 4 hours of sleep). The third week the "good" days came more but the weird thing about bupe and this is how it is different then methadone detox is that you will have "good" days and then all of a sudden back to feeling like you did during week two for a day. That really messes with your head cause you think everyday is getting better then it throws you a curve ball like that. I just kept pushing thru though and the next day was better. So the bad days come still during week 3 but they only last one day. I am at day 29 off of bupe today and day 36 off the benzos. I am sleeping finally, getting around 6 hours. The body aches are still there but are so much better then they were. I am still sneezing and still get waves of goose bumps through out the day. It is nothing compared to where I was though. Energy is low still but gets better everyday. I called around to rehabs and docs and everyone told me the same thing about bupe detox, it lasts 6-8 weeks. I believe they may right cause I have 4 weeks under my belt but I still am not completely normal. Oh and my digestive tract is still screwed up. As far as I can see, from here on it is just going to be having digestive problems, sneezes, some aches with low energy and yes depression. Every week gets better though knowing that I am through the worse makes me so happy. 6-8 weeks is a long time to not feel good but in the grand scheme of things it is nothing. Knowing that in 2 to 4 weeks I will be completely back to myself for the first time in over a decade is worth everything to me and that alone is what has got me this far. So overall, bupe detox is not a hardcore 72 hour kick like H, it is a long long slow release from your system with all the same symptoms of opiate detox, they are just less intense when they come, and the symptoms stick around alot longer. It is a detox that if you plan to do you better really want it. Your mind state is going to be what makes or breaks you with this detox. It is not easy fighting back weeks on end. I personally had hit rock bottom in my life, so for me the way I looked at it was I had one choice. Choosing to live was the only choice left.

Post subject: Re: Buprenorphine Detox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jane,

You are amazing! I'm on day 14 coming off of less than .1 mgs. What an inspiration you are to so many.

Keep it up!

Post subject: Re: Buprenorphine Detox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you for telling us your story n well done on your detox. Thanks for giving us some tips, based on your experience n I wish you all the very best with everything. We are here for you ok xxx

Don't one day, SAY TODAY!
There is always a solution to the problem