It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi to all! I'm new here though I've been reading....
well, I just wanted to share my story with someone... IF u got the time to read all this :-)
I've started taking buprenorphine four years ago (H. abuse) I have to mention, I used it I.V. (H and then bupe). I was at 4mg most of the time, sometimes 6mg.
Well as u all can imagine, 4years is a pretty long time. Anyway I was getting sick of the bupe. Initially it was fine, great but as time progressed I felt more an more unhappy with it. A habit is a habit, no matter what one says. Mine was a nasty habit. So the main reason I had/wanted to stop was the needle (and my GF). So I've read many, many reports, expiriences on various sites and forums about bupe WD and overall info. I have to say it horrified me at first but then I thought since all those reports are so conflicting, better try it on my own rather been scared of bull info. Well, for someone who hasn't lived trough ANY opiate WD but bupe, ofc it'll bee HELL. I think those are maybe bupe only users, with no real rather minimal opiate xperience. So of course it'll be like hell for them, so bull info is relative... Don't focus ur mind on WD symptoms too much as u will probably create a placebo effect. Gotten a bit off course..
So, I've managed to taper my 4mg dose to 0.25. It isn't very pleasent but manageble, it requires a strong WILL to stop to this and BREAK your habit. I've done it over a 2month period. Each time I adjusted to a lower dose I would lower it even more. So you all can imagine that I was in constant WD during that time. But wasn't that severe, hot flashes, cold chills, insomnia, the usual but very mild. Just tapper it slower and you'll do better. When I got to 0.25mg, to stop completely was HARD. I didn't have much success at first but then I realised that sometimes I was using more of it, going back to the habit. So I had to stop. I came to the idea to take methadone during the most intense days of WD (days,3,4,5). I used 5mg pills just once a day no more. As I'm scared of meth anyway. I didn't get a buzz at all, it just coverd my WD symptoms by 70%. It wasn't like I was free from it. I really have to say it really helped me. I got trough the worst and now am at day 9 without bupe and needle. So I can claim that I'm clean so far, with a bit of craving which is normal after long opiate addiction.
I really hope I can help someone with this post since I've gotten only conflicted reports and little usefull data about bupe WD. It's not that bad! Just have to tapper it, don't be jumpin' off 2mg or more. Seriously. Tried it.
Oh yeah, I found that I actually smoked less cigarettes while off bupe. It would make me sick which is weird cause I'm a full time, pack a day smoker.... Nice side effect though.
Hopefully my experience does help someone.

btw- not from the US, so sorry if my english isn't that good.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for posting. I think your English is much better than many people who were born and raised in the US so I wouldn't be too concerned about that :wink:

Congratulations on getting off of it. Do you have any kind of recovery plan to follow now? Have you been doing something to help you through all this such as therapy or anything else? The main concern is PAWS which is why most people relapse. Wouldn't want you to go back down that lovely road you've already travelled.

I do appreciate you commenting on the BS that is out there about bupe withdrawal. It isn't nearly as bad as full agonist withdrawal as I have done it as well. I took some vicodin to help with my withdrawal and will admit it did help somewhat. As long as I didn't take it too many days in a row it took the edge off a little. No high. Just toned down the withdrawal and helped me get some sleep at some points. Not sure how great of an idea it really is though.

I hope you will come back and post and let us know how you are doing. This forum is a great support for people and kind of keeps you on track in my opinion.

Cherie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

ok..this may be crazy...but the mind is a powerful thing. ive been on suboxone for almost three years next month and last time i tried to quit on only 8mg a day it was horrible couldnt do it..but i wasnt mentally ready...
i wanted to stop because i want to leave my circumstances but my boyfriend uses suboxone to keep me with him because he pays for it and its expensive s you may know. so i am determined cause he treats me worse than the fello addicts ever did in using..and so five days ago i stopped cold turkey.
the last time i took it i was at 12mg and the very day before that i took 16mg. so how come im pretty ok other than a bit of back pain on days three and four and little cravings..nothing much though..but sleeping and eating fine and even worked out first two days and cleaning even though have a little lack of energy. ill tell you why....cause of strong will and my reigous beleifs...meaning GOD is delivering me from my situation because i had/have faith... they told me "because you love him...he

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

its been five days...mild withdrawal at 12mg...its not normal to be this ok

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

a little (or looong in that case) update on my situation.... day13 since i stopped using suboX. Everything about this detox was fine except I didn't expect it to be this drawn out. I mean the main WD symptoms are gone but some still remain (mild) and don't seem to go away. It's VERY annoying and sometimes it's a bit difficult to function. For example I'm really cold all the time with every hair on my skin constantly up, while the temperature is 70F, sneezing, back pain, stretching, nose running, yawning etc. Not to mention the agonizing anxiety and loss of energy and motivation. So what I could say is that WD from buprenorphine isn't that difficult by itself for like 10days, but it's really annoying and stretched.
I got to day 10 with minimal cravings, after that I really had to fight it every minute. I didn't crave for H that much since it ruined my life and therefore I feel guilty big time if I start thinking about getting it. I also have no contact cells anymore to minimize an attempt to get any. My craving are towards subox mostly since it keeps me satisfied at low doses while this anxiety is almost killing me. Many reports say that bupe acts a bit antidepressive so I guess that only increases depression and anxiety afterwards.
So these days I'm a mental wreck.... My mother has a medical issue, and I got a few unpaid misdemeanors along with no job currently (really hard to find any right now), relatives from the US are visiting, some issues with my GF, and these WD/ PAWS whatever... Jesus, all that timing… horrible!
So all this has put some pressure on me ‘cause I'm not about talking or much socializing right now. Not to mention I had to go to the courthouse yesterday about not paying a fine :-( Soooo… I feel like shit saying this but I took a minimal dose of 0.1mg. Ofc I didn’t “feel” anything, but that wasn’t my desire anyway. The goal was to eliminate that shitty anxiety/depressive feeling (physical I can bear since it’s minimal and normal, though very annoying). Well it worked, it worked great. From that anxiety/depression abyss, I went to a completely content normal feeling. So that feeling got me to think “come on, take some more. Take it again tomorrow etc”. And my intention was to take that minimal dose only once, not to continue my habit or addiction. So I really took it only that one time. Ofc all the crappy, shitty symptoms came back by night, except I wasn’t that much depressed anymore…? Maybe it was still working; don’t know how long it takes to get it out my system again… Today is also ok, only physical symptoms. It’s just I feel sooooo guilty ‘cause I took it for any reason at all. It also shows my strength of willpower. As soon as things become overwhelming I resort back to my sub... :-( That’s not an option, and I’ll just have to fight it even harder. It was like all possible bad things coming at once and right when I’m quitting.
That was my situation update, now I have a question. Any advice would be nice. Since I see that this PAWS thing is really something else…, does anyone now how to minimize it or at lest help it somehow? I’ve bought some L-Tyrosine for the mood and recovery since I’ve read it COULD maybe help with opiate recovery and low mood. Increases dopamine levels they say. It has a sort of “speedy” effect at 1000mg though (two 500mg pills). Omega-3 fatty acids maybe? Workout? (even though I’d have to force myself big time to work out) I’d appreciate any help with this.
I don’t have any NA meetings here or any groups except religious ones which I’m not into and they’re part of communes, which I’m also not into. A couple of years of isolation are not the way I imagine recovery of any kind. And a psychiatrist would pump me up with meds.... I'll consider going to a psychologist though.
To JACKCRACK>> How long have you been clean, and what about PAWS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bupeaddict,

Am I to understand you have been shooting up bupe? Or was that just the heroin? That question aside, have you considered staying on it at a very low dosage and continuing a slow taper while to work on other methods of recovery? Many people do well on a lower, slower taper than you're describing - including a liquid taper method. Just something to think about.

You said you might be willing see a psychologist. I would advocate in favor of doing so. Having a therapist like that can help you deal with cravings and triggers so you have healthy coping skills instead of taking a drug. Once those coping skills are in place you might be in a better position to taper off.

As for handling your PAWS, many people say doing a lot of exercise REALLY helps. Also lots of people take clonodine, too. A couple more things for you to consider.

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.